1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Is it Considered Ok to take Private Lessons from someone other than your instructor?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BJJGuy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BJJGuy

BJJGuy Banned Banned

Or is it kind of an unspoken rule not to? My instructor teaches privates but there's another black belt in my area that does as well and I've thought about trying to mix up my game some with a fresh perspective.

Also, if I did take lessons from another teacher, should I tell my instructor or just not worry about it?

2. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Who ever you want to take a private with, tell or ask your instructor. A big issue is training with two guys in the same town, so he probably won't be okay with it. But you never know!

3. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Do whatever you want, it's a free country.

4. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Depends on the situation.

That being said, I don't believe in private lessons. Your coach or a higher belt should be willing to answer any questions you have.

5. thepedestrian

thepedestrian White Belt

Unless your instructor is willing to give you much cheaper privates then it definetly isn't. (in my opinion)

6. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Different town - totally OK
    Same town - probably not so OK, i wouldn't do it

7. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

This might be good advice. Your instructor very well may find out. So, proactively tell him and tell him why you want the variety. Be prepared to have him mess with you and having to move on in the future.

8. will kwon

will kwon Banned Banned

dude just go take the privates with anyone you want. If your instructor starts bitching out about it realize it's your money and tell him to fuck off.

9. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

^^do this if you never want to get promoted ever

10. will kwon

will kwon Banned Banned

I'm just saying that his coach shouldn't be anal about whether or not he takes privates from someone else.

11. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Ok, Im gonna jump in.

You are my student and you pay me to teach JJ.

I teach you my way of doing things.

Then I found out that you are training privates with another BB.

It could be positive and your JJ improve for some reasons.

BUT what if your JJ start to turn into custard. Training under another BB does not necesseraly mean you are going to improve.

Then as the instructor, I would be pissed and will tell my student to decide and just stay under only one instructor.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  12. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

This is a tough one for sure...... I mean what arn't you getting from your original instructor? I think in different styles its cool i guess. but overall i say grappling (not just BJJ) is journey of enlightenment and you should explore all avenues.

My girlfriend does this. We train at one school and my son goes to another. (no kids program at our gym) and his instructor is just so damn technical that i got her some privates with my sons instructor.

****edit**** just wanted to clarify that the reason for the privates with the other BB was because she is a girl and i wanted her to give my girlfriend some perspective in regards to being a female grappler.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  13. war path

war path White Belt

i swear i hate all of this political bullshit in bjj.

if you read between the lines you will realize your instructor has the hidden fear that he might lo$e you a$ a $tudent to the other guy who you are taking privates with.

14. slothofdoom

slothofdoom White Belt

just speaking for our own club

i prefer to think of our club as a team.you dont leave your team to go train with the opposition. well not if you want to be welcome back.

if you have to move away try to stay within the same organization at least.

15. hercheck

hercheck Orange Belt

if its privates, then id say do whatever you want. it'd be different if you jumped into another schools class.

16. Passenger

Passenger Banned Banned

Talk to your instructor. Why do you want to do Pt's with another instructor anyway? I'm just wondering? I can understand going to another gym to get more rolling time which I have done but I talked to my instructor about it and he's friends with the other club I'm going to. I guess it all depends on what your instructor is like.

17. Nagster5

Nagster5 Green Belt

ask your instuctor if he's okay with it.

I would never advise going behind someone's back for something like this, that looks shady no matter what. Just be honest.

18. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

who gives a shit about a belt? as long as i'm getting better don't give a fuck

19. kramer733

kramer733 Blue Belt

I don't think i'd ever do it. There's a sense of betrayal. To me, if i ever do something like that, it kinda makes me feel as if my instructor isn't good enough to teach me and i need somebody else. WHICH ISN'T TRUE AT ALL BECAUSE I BELIEVE HE'S THE BEST TEACHER I'VE EVER HAD (This includes every subject) This guy can really teach well =)

20. Jbeefnet1771

Jbeefnet1771 Green Belt

Uh... no.

Just run it by your teacher before booking it to show respect. He will likely say yes if it is a visiting player. If he says no, I don't think that's right and you may want to question his motives. Not right to take a private from the teacher of a school in the same area though.