Is it Considered Ok to take Private Lessons from someone other than your instructor?

BJJGuy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or is it kind of an unspoken rule not to? My instructor teaches privates but there's another black belt in my area that does as well and I've thought about trying to mix up my game some with a fresh perspective.

Also, if I did take lessons from another teacher, should I tell my instructor or just not worry about it?

Who ever you want to take a private with, tell or ask your instructor. A big issue is training with two guys in the same town, so he probably won't be okay with it. But you never know!

Depends on the situation.

That being said, I don't believe in private lessons. Your coach or a higher belt should be willing to answer any questions you have.

Unless your instructor is willing to give you much cheaper privates then it definetly isn't. (in my opinion)

Different town - totally OK
Same town - probably not so OK, i wouldn't do it

Different town - totally OK
Same town - probably not so OK, i wouldn't do it

This might be good advice. Your instructor very well may find out. So, proactively tell him and tell him why you want the variety. Be prepared to have him mess with you and having to move on in the future.

dude just go take the privates with anyone you want. If your instructor starts bitching out about it realize it's your money and tell him to fuck off.

dude just go take the privates with anyone you want. If your instructor starts bitching out about it realize it's your money and tell him to fuck off.

^^do this if you never want to get promoted ever

Ok, Im gonna jump in.

You are my student and you pay me to teach JJ.

I teach you my way of doing things.

Then I found out that you are training privates with another BB.

It could be positive and your JJ improve for some reasons.

BUT what if your JJ start to turn into custard. Training under another BB does not necesseraly mean you are going to improve.

Then as the instructor, I would be pissed and will tell my student to decide and just stay under only one instructor.

Last edited:
This is a tough one for sure...... I mean what arn't you getting from your original instructor? I think in different styles its cool i guess. but overall i say grappling (not just BJJ) is journey of enlightenment and you should explore all avenues.

My girlfriend does this. We train at one school and my son goes to another. (no kids program at our gym) and his instructor is just so damn technical that i got her some privates with my sons instructor.

****edit**** just wanted to clarify that the reason for the privates with the other BB was because she is a girl and i wanted her to give my girlfriend some perspective in regards to being a female grappler.

Last edited:
i swear i hate all of this political bullshit in bjj.

if you read between the lines you will realize your instructor has the hidden fear that he might lo$e you a$ a $tudent to the other guy who you are taking privates with.

just speaking for our own club

i prefer to think of our club as a team.you dont leave your team to go train with the opposition. well not if you want to be welcome back.

if you have to move away try to stay within the same organization at least.

if its privates, then id say do whatever you want. it'd be different if you jumped into another schools class.

Talk to your instructor. Why do you want to do Pt's with another instructor anyway? I'm just wondering? I can understand going to another gym to get more rolling time which I have done but I talked to my instructor about it and he's friends with the other club I'm going to. I guess it all depends on what your instructor is like.

ask your instuctor if he's okay with it.

I would never advise going behind someone's back for something like this, that looks shady no matter what. Just be honest.

I don't think i'd ever do it. There's a sense of betrayal. To me, if i ever do something like that, it kinda makes me feel as if my instructor isn't good enough to teach me and i need somebody else. WHICH ISN'T TRUE AT ALL BECAUSE I BELIEVE HE'S THE BEST TEACHER I'VE EVER HAD (This includes every subject) This guy can really teach well =)

Uh... no.

Just run it by your teacher before booking it to show respect. He will likely say yes if it is a visiting player. If he says no, I don't think that's right and you may want to question his motives. Not right to take a private from the teacher of a school in the same area though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back