Is it Considered Ok to take Private Lessons from someone other than your instructor?

I appreciate all of the input.

I'm leaning against it, or at the very least mentioning it to my instructor. I like my instructor a lot and don't want to do anything to sour our relationship.

I just wanted to branch out and take a few lessons from a BB with (presumably) a different style.

dude just go take the privates with anyone you want. If your instructor starts bitching out about it realize it's your money and tell him to fuck off.

In this instance, the instructor's livelihood is directly tied to a semi-uncommon (or "niche") business. A student of theirs taking privates from someone else, aka direct competition, does nothing but hurts their bottom line. Sure, there are politics, feelings, camaraderie, team dynamics, etc tied into jiu jitsu, but just look at this from a financial standpoint from the instructor's POV. Sure, it's your money, but if you care about your instructor, take into account that money spent on privates with someone else in the same town is a tacit endorsement of his competition.

I'm all for taking control of your own life, spending your money how you want to, but telling your instructor to "fuck off" is something I seriously take exception to. If he has a problem with it, try to see things his way. If he doesn't care, awesome.

If you live in a town where there are like 2 or 3 schools and they compete with each other pretty heavily, then you need to be careful because word spreads, and it looks a bit odd.

However, if you live somewhere where there are a ton of schools (LA, bay area, OC, SD etc.) I don't think it matters so much. Plus, most of the instructors here know each other and are friends, to some degree.

Depends on the situation.

That being said, I don't believe in private lessons. Your coach or a higher belt should be willing to answer any questions you have.

really? have you ever had a private lesson?

an hour of one on one attention between you and a BB to work on YOUR game. And you really think this would not help?

you really expect your instructor to give an hour of you time whenever you want for your regular tuition?
Check out this thing called Time Value of Money.

anyway,

what does the BB in the area bring that your BB does not have? price? is he an expert at one thing that you really want to learn?

I would say go to one out of your area.

If you like this other BB better just switch schools.

In this instance, the instructor's livelihood is directly tied to a semi-uncommon (or "niche") business. A student of theirs taking privates from someone else, aka direct competition, does nothing but hurts their bottom line. Sure, there are politics, feelings, camaraderie, team dynamics, etc tied into jiu jitsu, but just look at this from a financial standpoint from the instructor's POV. Sure, it's your money, but if you care about your instructor, take into account that money spent on privates with someone else in the same town is a tacit endorsement of his competition.

I'm all for taking control of your own life, spending your money how you want to, but telling your instructor to "fuck off" is something I seriously take exception to. If he has a problem with it, try to see things his way. If he doesn't care, awesome.

Nice post; beat me to it.

This is a tough one for sure...... I mean what arn't you getting from your original instructor? I think in different styles its cool i guess. but overall i say grappling (not just BJJ) is journey of enlightenment and you should explore all avenues.

My girlfriend does this. We train at one school and my son goes to another. (no kids program at our gym) and his instructor is just so damn technical that i got her some privates with my sons instructor.

****edit**** just wanted to clarify that the reason for the privates with the other BB was because she is a girl and i wanted her to give my girlfriend some perspective in regards to being a female grappler.

Yeah if you're talking about who I think you are, no one would blame you for wanting private lessons from her, she's an awesome instructor.

political b.s. aside, here is something else to consider. What are your intentions with this private lesson? To me, they are a chance to go over something you may not understand or to get feed back from the instructor on possible problems or holes that he may see in your game. And that is something that you wont be able to get from the other instructor. because they don't train with you on a regular basis.

Private lessons, are just that, private. It's an intimate, 1 on 1 session, to fine tune your game. Who better to do this than the person who trains you on a regular basis? Now if you want a different perspective on something, then maybe look into this other instructor AFTER you ask your own instructor about whatever it is first.

For me, the only reason I would go take a private with someone else would be if they are really renown at a particular aspect, and I really wanted to learn that. For instance, I would ask Roger Gracie about the mount. I would ask Saulo about passing the guard and top pressure. I would ask Mario Sperry about top pressure and guard passing as well. Shaolin: takedowns. Bustamante: guard. Marcelo Garcia: taking the back from half guard and the NS choke. You see, those aspects are something that is unique to a particular persons game, and they are the utmost authority on those aspects. For general overall tweeking and fine tuning, your instructor should be more than qualified.

Yeah if you're talking about who I think you are, no one would blame you for wanting private lessons from her, she's an awesome instructor.

Dude! Im 6' 210lbs and have grappled with alot of people, pro fighters, etc. (not a reflexion of my skill....) and the only person that every felt heavier than her (she is maybe 125lbs) in top side control was Frank Shamrock and that was barely!!!!!!

I never new the meaning of "top pressure" until i was the grappling dummy for her and my girlfriends 1st private......

She is really great imo.

First, if they teach in the same area as my instructor, I would ask myself why I want to go to this other instructor for a private lesson instead of the person who knows all my strengths and weaknesses. If they are a superior grappler and instructor than the one I train under and they are a reasonable distance from me, than I would switch schools. Why train under someone who isn't the best around? A waste of time and money IMO.

Second, if a superior grappler is visiting the area or someone with a specific specialty, my instructor would encourage me to take a private lesson from them. I have taken only three private lessons but each time I asked my instructor what I should ask the person to help me with since he knew where my holes were and where these individuals' strengths were. This way I was able to get the most out of each lesson.

As a footnote, we frequently have high level guys/gals come in to give seminars and they usually stay to train for at least a few days so I don't always feel the need to take a private lesson. On top of that most of them are super cool and offer tips after each roll with lower belts like me.

Back