Is it considered an offence to take BJJ from two schools at once?

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With one school being a representative of Machado and the other of Gracie. I have been taking BJJ at the Gracie school awhile, but they also have a Muay Thai program. I found the MT programis not very extensive, so I went to another school for their Muay Thai program, at the same time taking BJJ at the Gracie school (I am a blue belt there , so I did not want to leave). However, the MT place is a representative of Roger Machado and offers BJJ lessons for 25 bucks more on top of the MT fee. So I have been considering paying the extra and taking BJJ lessons there on my BJJ Gracie off days. To be non controversal actually wanted to just take the MT school's submission wrestling program, and keep the Gracie school for BJJ. Unfortunately their submission wrestling was on my BJJ day at the Gracie school, but the Machado school's MT program is on my BJJ off day, but so is the Machado Jiu Jitsu program. So I have been considering getting extra lessons to beef up my ground game. I am afraid of the drama this can cause though...And I love my Gracie school too much to quit, but the other BJJ place offers an amazing deal and instruction. They are not rival schools or anything- infact they are on quite good terms with each other so I am not sure whether this can have a big effect on my training or anything. Your input is appreciated guys, thank you.

You would be a traitor basicly in their eyes.

in other words Creonte.....

They do not like it... Then you have conflicting ways of doing things...
when you go to a tournament what school do you compete for? you going to fight against your friends at the machado school..... save your self the trouble pick on or the other.

Actually a creonte = traitor

a trader = comerciante

Sorry pet peeve of mine. However, gsoares is correct. They don't like it when you train at more than 1 BJJ school like this.

Just ask the head of both schools. Though if they do happen to care, that seems kind of stupid and childish to me...but I've never been a fan of the "traditional" way of going about things. Eh, what do I know?

Stop it now and chose one. If one were to find you could be banned from other schools

As long as you are up front about it then they shouldent care..but talk to the instructors.

If you have that much time to go to two BBJ classes and a MT class why not drop that one BJJ class and go into VT classes to work on your MMA.

All these bitchy instructors need to chill out regarding people training at different schools at the same time.

i have a similar problem.

An MMA dojo just opened next to my apartment. Like, ONE minute away by bicycle.

My BJJ class is ten minutes by bicycle.

The MMA gym offers MMA, taught by a shootfighting guy, and submission wrestling.

I asked my BJJ instructor about it and he was pretty negative. He said the dojo was not good and made a face but didn't explain why.

The people at the MMA dojo seem nice enough but there are a number of disadvantages.

1. Not many people in the MMA class. I went for a trial lesson and it was me, some old guy and the instructor. Though the old guy was pretty crap, punching with his arms instead of his body, I thought the instructor didn't really correct him.

2. The submission wrestling guys were ok, more people in the class, they go for each other pretty hard in the stand up. On the ground though, I reckon they're only about blue belt level in BJJ and I can hold my own with them. Quite a few of my BJJ classmates would crush them.

I want to practice some stand up and takedown/TD defence so I'll probably try joining for a month and doing both MMA and BJJ. I don't want to really piss anyone off though.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread... I just didn't want to start a whole new thread over this.

You need to do what's best for yourself. You can't let a dude dictate where and who you train with. You do what's best for yourself to further your abilities and skills, and you shouldn't let anyone stop yoou from doing so.

yes , VERY VERY OFFENSIVE. the fatc that you had to ask shows you have no idea how pissed you teacher is going to be when he finds out. dont be surprised if he asks you to leave...........im not kidding.

If the schools are on good term and the instructors are friends then I would talk to your instuctor. If you explain that you just want to train there on your off days from BJJ, they may not have a problem with it. If the schools are rivals it would never fly, but if the schools have an existing relationship then it's worth asking about.

Bolaojj said:
If the schools are on good term and the instructors are friends then I would talk to your instuctor. If you explain that you just want to train there on your off days from BJJ, they may not have a problem with it. If the schools are rivals it would never fly, but if the schools have an existing relationship then it's worth asking about.

probably your the best answer your going to get.

I would never attend any academy that would limit me like this. I

Waxwingslain, who teaches at your Nagoya BJJ club? What affiliation are they?

Well, there are basically three teachers under Marcus Barbosa in Brazil.

1) Fukuzumi san, a black belt, he's in Brazil at the moment.
2) Tomomi "Taisho" Iwama, black belt, fought in Bushido 7, teaches once a week (rolled with him tonight).
3) Hayakawa san, a brown belt, the main teacher until Fukuzumi gets back.

Hayakawa was the one I talked to. He said I could go and take a look but he obviously didn't like the idea.

The BJJ class is good, they have a wrestling/leglocks class on Tuesday but I can't go to it cause I have to work in the evening. Hayakawa tells me that I need to improve my stand-up grappling and that the Tuesday class is really good. I know it is but I can't go!!!

PS I wonder if anyone knows of Marcus Barbosa?

As an owner operator of two schools, I encourage my students to shop around. This is America, and students are customers. They have a right to persue whatever instruction they are willing to pay for, simple really. I lose very few students through this and have benefitted by having students return with strong technique.

flyingknee16 said:
You need to do what's best for yourself. You can't let a dude dictate where and who you train with. You do what's best for yourself to further your abilities and skills, and you shouldn't let anyone stop yoou from doing so.

Ya but dont be a whore. You can do what you want but if you arent allowed certain places you should know why

Back