Is it considered an offence to take BJJ from two schools at once?

I"m sorry... Any school that would make a big deal about it, fucking sucks balls. That is such bullshit. If someone wants to diversify their training, so be it. I'd be upset if it was taking away from your buisiness some, but they should focus more on how good of a job they are doing, now where else you are practicing. My judo school encourages training at other places. We talk often about going do to Chicago to train some, or going up to a univeristy to get some time in.

Darwinist hit the nail on the head. You are paying them for a service. I think it might be a little different when you get to a highe level of notability or something and had some years into the place.

hmmm. i've seen this b4.my instructor found out this doode was training at two bjj schools(this guys has some dough and time) and he basically told him politely that he should pick one or the other.

I have been in the martial arts for 15 years. I have been a student, and I have been a teacher. And I think it is absolutely ridiculous for an instructor to restrict a student from training at another legitimate school.

If the other school in question is clearly a fraud, I might discourage a student from going there. However, I would never outright ban them. I figure that if what they are learning is BS, I will just show them why during my training and they will figure it out.

Most of the time the other school is a fine place to train, and I encourage students to cross-train there. A lot of the guys at my university club train other places as well. This cross-training has definitely raised the technical level of the club as a whole. I myself like to stop by their schools every now and then for a training session because listening to a different instructor improves my technique. I get to see the same move from a different perspective.

Anyway, I agree with the posters that said find another school. Unless the other school was really bad (doubtful), I don't think your instructor had any right to actively discourage you from training there.

Back