Is it alright to feel this way?

sheikh_cardio

White Belt
Reaction score
Before a fight/match mma or wrestling, you feel kind of nervous like you have butterflies in your stomach. I know everyone has them but some people tell me that feeling is the same feeling that throws you off your game during the bout and messes with your mind frame.

It's normal.

It hinders your qability to perform only if you did not learn how to channel it.

Whenever I compete in a grappling tourney I'm always nervous. When I'm sitting there waiting for my match, my heart is beating and I'm really nervous, never really known why I get so worked up. I don't think it hinders my ability, because once I start grappling I forget about it.

It happens to everyone. It's one of those things that the guys that want to go from "couch to the cage" don't get why they should enter grappling tourneys, smokers etc etc. You've got to learn to deal with those jitters.

If you train regularly and have faith in your technique then you shouldn't be nervous. At least this is how i feel when i'm sitting there bored waiting for my turn to roll. It could also be that i don't really care about the results, i just want to have some fun.

If you train regularly and have faith in your technique then you shouldn't be nervous. At least this is how i feel when i'm sitting there bored waiting for my turn to roll. It could also be that i don't really care about the results, i just want to have some fun.

I don't buy that at all. If you are at a major competition which you've invested a lot into then you are going to be nervous regardless of how hard you train.

My coach used to say to me, "If you aren't nervous then you don't care, and that's when you should worry"

yeah man everyone gets nervous big time

it never really goes away either

but you just learn to deal with it, and if youve trained hard enough, when it comes your turn to compete, you will still be ready and you will know what to do.

once the match starts nerves disappear as well.

actually from my experience
my nervousness and tension has gotten worse over time
but i think its do to the level i compete at now versus back then

its actually gotten to the point i will actually throw up pre match or at least feel very nauseas

it has helped and hindered

sometimes it drains me and i cant think straight

and sometimes it makes me a little looney
which helps a bit in hindsight

I usually do better when im nurvous, its better to be a bit nervous than to underestimate your opponent or overly cocky.

I usually do better when im nervous, its better to be a bit nervous than to underestimate your opponent or being overly cocky.

I usually do better when im nervous, its better to be a bit nervous than to underestimate your opponent or being overly cocky.

Whenever I compete in a grappling tourney I'm always nervous. When I'm sitting there waiting for my match, my heart is beating and I'm really nervous, never really known why I get so worked up. I don't think it hinders my ability, because once I start grappling I forget about it.

dude, your heart is beating... i would get that looked at... mine just sits there quiet in my chest

When i was wrestling at the beginning I was extremely nervous before any match or tournament, by my final year I never got nervous but before every match I would get myself worked up with an adrenaline rush by breathing right and pacing.

Back