Is it a good idea to combine male + female competitors in absolute?

Toothless King

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think it's possible.

Edwin Najmi (featherweight) flying triangled on Jared Dopp (heavyweight) to win the absolute in purple belt division at Worlds.

I think it's possible.

Edwin Najmi (featherweight) flying triangled on Jared Dopp (heavyweight) to win the absolute in purple belt division at Worlds.

Nope, he did that to Nicholas Meregali

Well, I guess it would be cool if a girl could opt to.

Give the girls the option. Why the fuck not

Girl decides to and a larger man goes 110% and even hurts her in a non dirty way there better not be any bitching

Give the girls the option. Why the fuck not

Girl decides to and a larger man goes 110% and even hurts her in a non dirty way there better not be any bitching

i think it's cool too.

the only problem is some outsiders might look down on BJJ as an illegitimate sport or a freak show when they see a large man choking the shit out of a small woman. there is no legitimate sport in the world where men and women are competing against each other.....well, maybe except for Nascar and golf

One of the local tournaments around here had an open gender, open rank, open weight "super absolute".

To put it nicely, it seemed like a fucking wreck.

Why not? Some women are better than some men. If a girl wants to grapple with the best to improve I don't see a problem with itt.

It wasn't so much the genders being combined as everything all at once. Picture your 230lb athletic purple belts against 110lb white belts who are just starting to compete.

Sure, size advantages can be mitigated with technique, but what's to gain for anybody in a situation like that?

Mixed gender is fine when they're roughly the same weight and skill.

No.

Men compete for the competition. Going gentle enough not to hurt the girls, whilst at the same time not so gentle as to hurt their feelings is enough of a challenge during training.

All it would accomplish is give overconfident females a reality check that they are easily crushed by males

No.

Men compete for the competition. Going gentle enough not to hurt the girls, whilst at the same time not so gentle as to hurt their feelings is enough of a challenge during training.

All it would accomplish is give overconfident females a reality check that they are easily crushed by males

This.

They would just be used as fodder and quickly eliminated.

Why not? Some women are better than some men. If a girl wants to grapple with the best to improve I don't see a problem with itt.

The problem is you might see a 120 lbs female purple belt who got 1st place in her 5 - person team adult/female division against 220 lbs male purple belt who got 1st place in his 10 - person team adult/male division

As long as it is clear when entering the tournament that this could happen I don't see the problem except that most of the women will likely loose. It is BJJ not bloodsport and most men and women train together anyways. BUT... I would rather see gender divided absolutes as long as numbers of competitors allow there to be a reasonable women's group. It is much more fun to grapple against or to watch grapple more closely matched competitors.

i think it's cool too.

the only problem is some outsiders might look down on BJJ as an illegitimate sport or a freak show when they see a large man choking the shit out of a small woman. there is no legitimate sport in the world where men and women are competing against each other.....well, maybe except for Nascar and golf

LPGA?

And to say that Danica is "competing" in NASCAR is probably a bit of an overstatement.

:icon_chee

Not a good idea. Women would get demolished and it would cause a shitstorm of some sort.

Also puts the men in an awkward position when they have to publicly crush women.

Bad idea. Women of equal rank are too far below a man of equal rank in overall ability. In my opinion, everything should be separate.

There's zero reason for women to compete against men in any physical sport. Not only is it unfair? It's plainly dangerous for the women. We shouldn't ignore biology due to political correctness. Feelings aren't more important than facts, fortunately.

The Williams sisters challenged the 203rd ranked male in the world in tennis back in the late 90's. He dominated both of them after having a few drinks, back-to-back.

This idea would get top level female BJJ players tooled by male blue belts.

Last edited:
Separate. No man should have to face Gabi Garcia.

Back