Is Hearns the best boxer-puncher of all time?

And he didn't need to brawl with Hagler.. Being a boxer puncher means that you have strong abilities in either way of fighting. You don't have the be the very best in both. He was so strong in either one that chances are that if he wasn't the stronger brawler, he was the better boxer. That's why he is nr 1 to me..
I think he had a big head going into that Hagler fight. Why wouldn't he? Hagler looked like ass against Duran, a guy who Hearns spanked.

There are others listed who I don't agree are boxer punchers like Sugar Ray Leonard, who if defined as a boxer-puncher, obviously would rank above Hearns. But I don't agree that SRL is a boxer-puncher.

The definition of a boxer-puncher is an individual with both slugger type power and formal boxing abilities intertwined.

The only other one I can think of close to Hearns is Lennox Lewis. But his jab wasn't as good and consistent as Hearn's IMO

Yeah I agree. I’m horribly biased though, he may be my favourite boxer

Clinton Woods. I apologize on behalf of the whole boxing forum for us not giving the correct answer earlier.

I think he had a big head going into that Hagler fight. Why wouldn't he? Hagler looked like ass against Duran, a guy who Hearns spanked.

But why was Sugar Ray always a sentimental favorite with the judges? I can't believe how lucky he was in career defining fights..

I don't know why Canelo is listed as a boxer puncher.

Shane Mosley does not believe that he posses slugger type power.

But why was Sugar Ray always a sentimental favorite with the judges? I can't believe how lucky he was in career defining fights..
Eh? Lost decision to Duran? KO'd Hearns and made Duran quit. Won a close one with Hagler. His career defining fights. You can't believe how lucky he was to get the nod in one close fight?

Eh? Lost decision to Duran? KO'd Hearns and made Duran quit. Won a close one with Hagler. His career defining fights. You can't believe how lucky he was to get the nod in one close fight?

Many think he could have easily lost the first to Hearns and the only one he had against Hagler. That's two major fucking fights he got the better of the judges, and none in which he was robbed. Who knows what would have happened if he lost the fight to Hearns.

Many think he could have easily lost the first to Hearns and the only one he had against Hagler. That's two major fucking fights he got the better of the judges, and none in which he was robbed.
They were well out of their primes in '89.

They were well out of their primes in '89.

I'm just sayin, most fighters get lucky in some, unlucky in others. Sugar Ray didn't for some bizzare reason either by chance or popularity. When it was close, he either drew or won

his jab was about as fast as anyone's you'd ever see, one punch hand speed he was what emmanuel steward called 'the fastest hands in boxing" which a lot of people overlooked because of his power. On the night he fought duran he was at his peak, even the experienced duran was thouroughly confused by that assault of speed and power. now, the downsides, he wasn't a great combination puncher, there wasn't that smoothness that you'd see from robinson, jones or leonard, he didn't have the great stamina to pull out some of his victories, his stamina (and chin) failed him in his big fights with Leonard and Hagler. He was certainly a great boxer puncher, he used all the Ali inventions to great effect with his long lanky frame but I wouldn't call him the best on terms of accomplishments, maybe in terms of his abilitiies in certain areas. but not on the entire package.

one thing people also forget, although i have brought it up a million times here, tommy did try to box hagler, after the midway point of the first round he ran like hell, hagler walked him down looking as long legged as hearns and calmly put him to sleep. It is that kind of performance that will always have me convinced that that hagler would have done the same thing with sugar ray leonard, on that night he was terrible.

, he wasn't a great combination puncher, there wasn't that smoothness that you'd see from robinson, jones or leonard, .

I never thought about that since he didn't need to with that great jab and right hand. It certainly wasn't as blatantly obvious as with Julian Jackson, who looked like he was just loading up on his shots every single time and couldn't combo box very well, and was very stiff...

I don't know why Canelo is listed as a boxer puncher.

Shane Mosley does not believe that he posses slugger type power.

"Boxer/puncher" refers to the guy who is sort of in between being a big hitter and a technical boxer. I think the term fits Canelo perfectly.

I agree that many overrate his punching power.

"Boxer/puncher" refers to the guy who is sort of in between being a big hitter and a technical boxer. I think the term fits Canelo perfectly.

I agree that many overrate his punching power.

In between styles, not level... You can be a boxer-puncher and the hardest puncher in the division, but you are not a pure slugger.. You can also be a boxer puncher and be the best technican in the division, but you are not characterised by your superior technique only... That's what I take boxer-puncher to be.

Last edited:
Canelo has proven his power at this point. I think he actually grew as a puncher over the years. He fought Mosley as a very young man, you have to take Mosley's opinion in that context. I think he is a good example of a boxer-puncher.

Another good current example would be Cotto.

And Canelo does not fit because he does not have any exceptional slugger power. He has solid power.

Canelo has proven his power at this point. I think he actually grew as a puncher over the years. He fought Mosley as a very young man, you have to take Mosley's opinion in that context.

His KO ratio does not reflect someone with slugger power.

Back