• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is he really retiring?

I don't think he is the type of personality ad character who will be making such legalistic distinctions and go on technicalities and qualifying himself.he is a black or white kind of person and that's also why he has been so successful at what he does.

That's true as well. He may have been using 'UFC' as a catchall. He did differentiate between his UFC and MMA record in the same interview, but we can't really read into any of that.

That being said, he's a very emotional person who has lived a competitive, athletic life since boyhood. I have trouble seeing him embrace a quiet life without any of that at 32 years old, but perhaps he has truly moved on. We will have to see how the next year plays out.

*Also, his subsequent reference to the McGregor v Poirer fight and how those guys don't interest him suggested to me he was actively thinking about the landscape of the sport and that not only his promise, but also his personal interest level, played a factor in his retirement announcement. His interest could change depending on a number of variables. I think he'll be back for catchweight superfights.

His mom could change her mind. Maybe she'll see how much he misses it and will regret asking him to stop fighting? Anything's possible I guess

That's true as well. He may have been using 'UFC' as a catchall. He did differentiate between his UFC and MMA record in the same interview, but we can't really read into any of that.

That being said, he's a very emotional person who has lived a competitive, athletic life since boyhood. I have trouble seeing him embrace a quiet life without any of that at 32 years old, but perhaps he has truly moved on. We will have to see how the next year plays out.

*Also, his subsequent reference to the McGregor v Poirer fight and how those guys don't interest him suggested to me he was actively thinking about the landscape of the sport and that not only his promise, but also his personal interest level, played a factor in his retirement announcement. His interest could change depending on a number of variables. I think he'll be back for catchweight superfights.

It seems a pity to retire now as there seems no difference nor deterioration in his overall game and if anything he looks stronger than ever and at his most mature and self controlled. Maybe the only fight that can bring him back is the idea of reaching 30-0 against GSP. But gsp himself is far from his peak and hasnt fought since the bisping fight so what is the value of such a fight to gsp who wont do it if he thinks he has little chance against khabib who is so good at what he does that even peak gsp would have had the fight of his life against him.

So I dont think thta fight will ever happen and in the end it boils down to khabib'z own reason for fighting which is indelibly tied to his family and without his father it is not the same and with his mother's opposition to him continuing to fight (and who can blame her gven how dangerous it is), family is far more important to him than his fight career as it should be and filial piety is very crucial in their culture - as it should be to all cultures.

It seems a pity to retire now as there seems no difference nor deterioration in his overall game and if anything he looks stronger than ever and at his most mature and self controlled. Maybe the only fight that can bring him back is the idea of reaching 30-0 against GSP. But gsp himself is far from his peak and hasnt fought since the bisping fight so what is the value of such a fight to gsp who wont do it if he thinks he has little chance against khabib who is so good at what he does that even peak gsp would have had the fight of his life against him.

I think GSP would like the challenge. He's also the naturally bigger, more muscular, athletic man. They are the two best MMA wrestlers in history. GSP did an interview with Ariel right after the fight. He clearly still wants the fight if Khabib is down, but said he would not ask for it publicly out of respect to what Khabib is going through. You could say that's not wise of GSP, but he himself is excited about the match. Khabib would be too. If UFC wants to make it, I think it would get done 100%. Catchweight, marketed for the GOAT title.

This is truth

Reactions: mkw
100% yes
i think winning the title was really his end goal and then beating conor was the cherry on top. I don't think he heart was in it, even before his dad passed and he never talked about breaking records.

he's reached GSP status, and he'll take fun fights that make a lot of money. Like a grudge match vs Conor.

How many have announced retirement for the first time while still champions, and kept their word, never to return? I can’t think of one.

Maybe instagram Americans but not Khabib who swore his mother after his dad died.

People still don't understand that Khabib is not like you or me, or anyone else in UFC. He will not go back on his word for a big payday

I believe he is done
People around that region take their words very seriously
I want to be wrong though

But what if his mom orders him to Just Bleed and gets a just bleed tattoo on her chest?

Nah I'm good lol. I am excited to see him fight tho and I think the people acting like he's some random can are being silly.
It's too bad he didn't come to the UFC 3 years ago and I do worry about age, but he just beat Benson who is still good. Patricio would be interesting AF too.

It's too bad he didn't come to the UFC 3 years ago and I do worry about age, but he just beat Benson who is still good. Patricio would be interesting AF too.
Yeah he's a bit older now which kinda sucks, but he still looks good. Might still have a few good years to come in and do some damage. The division is in a good spot right now, lots of talent and good matches to make. Feels like any top guy could be champ and that's exciting.

Back