Is he making the Roy Jones jr mistake?

Many believed that Roy Jones jr career fell because of going up to heavyweight and going back down again which played a factor in his defeat to Tarver. Isn't Conor going up from 145 to 170 a bit much on his body due to the fact that its too big of a jump in weight?

I know GSP has talked about this a lot and although I do not like Conors shit talking, I can respect him as a fighter but this seems too much too soon...
Conor can't make 145 anymore, anyway. We knew this. Plus the IV ban makes it impossible to rehydrate. No more grandfather clause - he's done at 145. They haven't stripped him because he's danas buttbud.

No, it's not even close to the same. Conor is the biggest FW in the UFC and likely is pretty much the same size as Nate(or within 5 pounds or so), he's not moving up in weight, him and Nate just aren't cutting much weight.

They just saved them from the hassle of making 155lbs, they both are basically LW´s

Not really the same at all. Jones had already best everybody and was getting bigger over time. Conor was bigger and was cutting insane weight to make 145. With the 170 fight, he's just skipping weight cut essentially.

And looked soft (in terms of his physique). Nate is sort of caught on the cusp, but he is definitely not a sizeable welterweight, to TS' question. Also, McGregor will not be buffing himself up to 170. I doubt he'll weight more than 165. This isn't a lengthy body transformation process. The 170 pound limit is merely to accommodate Diaz.
Considering Conor is walking around close to 180 now...

He is most likely making a mistake, I've said it before the guy looks like hell already when he has to cut to 145 lbs and now he wants to fight Welterweight? He'll have to put on more weight if he wants to be competitive with the likes of Hendricks, Lombard, Woodley, and Maia. Hell even the current champion in Lawler was a former Middleweight.

So say he puts on ten more lbs, I have no idea what he's walking around at but I can't imagine it's too much over 170 how will he perform when he has to defend the title at 145 again? How is his body going to react when his already terrifying weight cut becomes even worse.

maxresdefault.jpg

hi-res-8683ea85d0b97755c98cf34f6661967e_crop_exact.jpg

cats.jpg

That's not healthy.

I don't think so...Roy added 25lbs of muscle to a body that could still make super-middleweight. Conor has been killing himself to make 145lbs. He will benefit from fighting with no cut, he isn't adding a ton of new muscle.
What this guy said.

Conor is fighting at close to his walk around weight, while Roy horse-meated his way to heavyweight when he probably walked around at 180-185.

Although I was surpised to see Boxrec had Jones weighing in at only 193 for the fight. I could have sworn he got up to at least 200.

Many believed that Roy Jones jr career fell because of going up to heavyweight and going back down again which played a factor in his defeat to Tarver. Isn't Conor going up from 145 to 170 a bit much on his body due to the fact that its too big of a jump in weight?

I know GSP has talked about this a lot and although I do not like Conors shit talking, I can respect him as a fighter but this seems too much too soon...
The difference is Roy was much older. He had won the mw super mw lhw belts all of them and then went up to win the HW belt weighing only 193 still coming from 155 it was a lot to go back down to 174 in a few months. He was too old and spent the right amount of time going up with Mackey Shilstone the master of adding lean mass slowly and healthily. He spent all this time and money doing it right before he decided to listen to Tarver goat him like mr t in rockey 3. When you've never ever come close to defeat and you have won 57 bouts most by ko and won every single belt needing to move up only because there are no #1 contenders to fight worth your while anymore it's hard to not be cocky. He felt he could do anything and he did win the first bout. Still he hurt his body by doing it at that age. If he had stayed HW he would have likely not lost the chin.

The difference is Roy had no challenges left at his weight class. He cleaned out divisions and he was in his late 30s. Roy won every belt and defended it multiple times. He walked shit didn't talk shit only. He said he would whoop every guy in every class even calling out lennox and tyson. and you can bet your ass he was willing to fight them. In their defense it was lose lose to fight a natural MW.

Conor is still young enough that his body will be ok. He has not moved up like Roy has technically or even close. Deciding not to cut to 145 anymore and going to 155 or not cutting at all and staying your walk around weight isn't the same as slowly adding muscle for real to go 155-160 160-168 168 to 174 174 to 193 at 5% bf and then back down. It's just not comparable.

To answer you Conor is young enough and hasn't really added any mass despite what nut huggers addicted to his IG page think of his well lit pics. He isn't any bigger he's just not cutting. Roy was almost 10 years older and had really put on about 45 lbs of lean legit muscle.

What this guy said.

Conor is fighting at close to his walk around weight, while Roy horse-meated his way to heavyweight when he probably walked around at 180-185.

Although I was surpised to see Boxrec had Jones weighing in at only 193 for the fight. I could have sworn he got up to at least 200.
He did after beating Ruiz he went to 203 and challenged the top guys at heavy.

Hopkins and Roy both bulked like that to move up all on buffalo meat and slow slow progression.

He did after beating Ruiz he went to 203 and challenged the top guys at heavy.

Ruiz was his only heavyweight fight. He dropped back down to 175 to fight Tarver after the Ruiz fight.

I'm confuzzled by your post.

Ruiz was his only heavyweight fight. He dropped back down to 175 to fight Tarver after the Ruiz fight.

I'm confuzzled by your post.
He moved down to fight Tarver correct. After defeating Ruiz he challenged, with class, Lennox and Mike Tyson and said he was above 200 lbs hoping for a big HW fight being the HW champion. Tarver was able to bait him to come back down and he cut all the weight off. Sorry bud if I didn't make sense

The problem comes on the cut back down not the move up. It makes the cut that much harder when the fight before you were eating what you want and maby even putting on weight vs. eating very little and dehydrated yourself.

Conor is also doing it at a younger age than Roy Jones did. So his body will react better trying it today than it would if he were to try it in 10 years time.

He moved down to fight Tarver correct. After defeating Ruiz he challenged, with class, Lennox and Mike Tyson and said he was above 200 lbs hoping for a big HW fight being the HW champion. Tarver was able to bait him to come back down and he cut all the weight off. Sorry bud if I didn't make sense

I gotcha. I misinterpreted your statement as he challenged and fought at heavyweight after the Ruiz fight.

No rjj was well out of his natural weight class ....connor will be in his

Back