Is gus the most overrated fighter of all time?

Been trying to tell people

His 'footwork' is an illusion. It isn't even good unless nothing happens

He's definitely among the most overrated. His claim to fame is taking a few rounds off Jones.
He doesn't have one great win and lost to every good fighter he faced. Now he lost to a mid tier fighter like Smith.
He was always rated highly but never met the hype.

No. It's hard to decide which Brazilian MW who won a title when there was a handful of good fighters in every MMA division gets that title.

Being ranked the #2 & 3 fighter while never beating a fighter of that caliber, in your entire career, is literally the definition of being overrated.
He was rated as the #2 and 3 fighter without actually earning that status, or even a status close to it. How are you not understanding this lol

i dont think hes beaten a top 5 guy. He lost to Bonesx2, DC, Rumble and now Smith when they were top 5. Maybe Slowgun was but he was a shell of his former self and still gave him problems

i dont think hes beaten a top 5 guy. He lost to Bonesx2, DC, Rumble and now Smith when they were top 5. Maybe Slowgun was but he was a shell of his former self and still gave him problems
Shogun was #4 and his best win, which was way back in 2012.... It's 2019. Until today he was ranked #3.
Madness lol

Shogun was #4 and his best win, which was way back in 2012.... It's 2019. Until today he was ranked #3.
Madness lol

His ranking was due to his ability and not his record. Can you list the fighters that would be favourited to beat Gus's during that time? UFC rankings are known to be all over the place but ranking Gus as the third best lhw doesnt seem too mad to me.

I actually thought Jones won when I watched it live. But that was years ago, and when I rewatcheded it more recently I realized though gus sucks and has been painfully overhyped forever he absolutely outboxed and outdamaged and outworked Jones for four rounds straight. Jon only took round 5.
It's hard for me to give gus round 4 when he was badly rocked and it was the most eventful thing in the round. And of course I gave him round 2 as well. It was very close though.

Guy loses and is overrated, don’t change Sherdog. BRB going to start a Smith is underrated thread.

Even though im a huge fan of Gus,there was this expectation after he nearly took jones title in a life or death bloodbath,but he didnt live up to it. He wasnt going out there smashing the opposition like DC and Jones were,in his wins. He sure gave DC the same life or death battle when they fought though. Its not a normal career that Gus had. Sometimes he truly was capable of greatness,but couldnt maintain it,display it as long as the top two guys.

Guy loses and is overrated, don’t change Sherdog. BRB going to start a Smith is underrated thread.

Thread is old bruh, & has been bumped for purposes of being 100% correct. Try & keep up

A lot of the other fighters being mentioned have solid accomplishments tho (Conor, Ronda etc), so while they may be overrated they wouldnt be most overrated to me. When measuring peoples opinion of a fighter compared to little or mo accomplishment its Gus or Nate Diaz

Again wrong. Hate him all you want the man beat some good fighters. Gus? No not really.

He is ranked at #3 LW, so he's most certainly overrated as per the UFC's "independent" MMA media rankings.

Casuals massively overrate him as well, at LW he's gatekeeper material at best, no denying that.

Anyway, Gus gave Jon Jones his most competitve fight to date, moreso than DC in 2 fights.

The most overrated fighter of all time who damn near beat the best fighter of all time

He is ranked at #3 LW, so he's most certainly overrated as per the UFC's "independent" MMA media rankings.

Casuals massively overrate him as well, at LW he's gatekeeper material at best, no denying that.

Anyway, Gus gave Jon Jones his most competitve fight to date, moreso than DC in 2 fights.
So your saying Gus had essentially 1 g

Conor won two belts. Gus gave Jones a good fight. So what point are you trying to make again? He got crushed by all top contenders and had to sprint from the pocket against Glover Texiera to eventually knock him out and closed his career with a loss against Smith. I seriously have no clue why you chose to somehow dispute my post from February.

Conor is a total and complete ass and in the long run is a disappointment for not fighting more once he reached the peak of his division. Gus lost every big fight he was in. That’s not opinion, Chachi.

It's hard for me to give gus round 4 when he was badly rocked and it was the most eventful thing in the round. And of course I gave him round 2 as well. It was very close though.

I just dont think the elbow was nearly significant enough and came way too late to actually sway the round. Jones got tuned up the first 4 minutes and thirty seconds of that round. Gus was never wobbled, never dropped, fell or lost his footing, he dodged or blocked virtually all of Jones attempts to follow up and stuffed his takedown with ease. A classic case of bad judges giving way more credit for the end of the round and forgetting everything that came before. It was a dramatic twenty seconds, sure, but its a fight not a stage play, you dont get points for drama inofitself.

You guys should give Anthony Smith credit. He should be rank#3 at least this division. He went to a distance with current Jones and Gus couldn't.

Back