Is glover a better or worse fighter today?

These young kids like Glover really show you just how much the sport has evolved.
Maybe HE is evolving with the sport?

Also, it's not like he's beating spring chickens. Santos is like 4 years younger.

He just defeated marreta, how can he not compete against the elite lhw anymore?
Where did I say he couldn't compete with the elite LHW anymore? I said he couldn't stand with them, which was evident in the fight with Santos. But he can certainly grapple with the best of them, and because of that, he has a path to victory against anyone in the division (now that Jon is gone).

Thats a tricky question for me, of course he,s far from his athletic prime, but there is also something to be said about experience which he has a lot, as a fighter do you think he's better or worse today? Do you think today's glover wins against the glover who fought jones or not?
He's better, he's a true martial artist. He has continued to improve his skills and is humble enough to know he cant stand and bang the way he used to, but still has full conviction and self belief. He has shifted his focus more to grappling to compensate for his lessened chin, but still freely lets his hands go where he needs to, without hesitation. He's a real martial artists that's all I can say, I was extremely impressed by that fight.

Its rare that an athlete has the guidance during their physical prime to reach that level mentally off the top of my head the two examples that did are Anderson and Khabib. With Khabibs latest performance, he had 2 weeks of sickness and then broke his toe, looked like shit in training, plus the whole first fight since dad passing thing and coach Mendez told him they should pull out, too much has gone wrong. Khabib told him "coach, my toe is broken, my mind is not" and then we all saw how he did - THAT is a real martial artist. The physical is secondary, important, but secondary. it is the discipline and will of the mind that is paramount.

Last edited:
Reactions: G10
I think he's exactly the same as 10 years ago. Guy has aged amazingly well

I think he's probably better mentally at this this point. Keep in mind, when he fought Jones, he was on a 20 something fight win streak. After he lost, he kinda' bounced around with wins and losses for a few years. Now, it seems like his mindset has definitely improved.

Also, LHW is much worse today than 2013/14. That helps Glover out, too.

He was never a fast guy so age has definitely made him look noticeably slower. That being said he's a very smart fighter and understands that his ground game is the key to victory. He's kept in shape and adapted his style accordingly similar to how Overeem has been able to stay relevant.

More or less the same has probably fallen off a little bit but not much. Is still a guy who loses to almost every elite fighter he's faced but who's ahead of everyone else. He went on a 5 fight win streak then lost to Jones and Davis. Won another 3 fights in a row and became Rumble's next victim. Repeat the process with Gustafsson and Corey Anderson. Accumulate win streak against lower ranked competition, lose once he gets to the top 5. Thiago Santos was the first one he finished since Bader and he's coming off an awful injury that could really be the end of him as an elite fighter.

That being said I do think it's possible in the earlier era when he wasn't in the US he could have been the champ that don't mean he's gotten worse though the sports just evolved(when Glovers career started 6 foot 2 was large for a LHW, now 6 foot 2 is small for a LHW).

In a sport where people fight 45 minutes tops per year I'm coming to the conclusion that aging in MMA is overrated af . Too many guys being successful at 40 and beyond for us to keep acting surprised when someone's successful in their late 30s and early 40's. The people who get washed up in their 30s are the aberrations(injures, michellaneous reasons etc) not the other way around.

Back