Is glover a better or worse fighter today?

Bangkok ready d1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats a tricky question for me, of course he,s far from his athletic prime, but there is also something to be said about experience which he has a lot, as a fighter do you think he's better or worse today? Do you think today's glover wins against the glover who fought jones or not?

He's definitely noticeably slower on the feet, and he gets rocked a lot these days. I don't think he can stand with any of the top LHW's anymore, whereas he used to be a competent striker with legit KO power. So overall I don't think he's as good as he was in his prime. His grappling does still seem as good as ever though.

He's definitely noticeably slower on the feet, and he gets rocked a lot these days. I don't think he can stand with any of the top LHW's anymore, whereas he used to be a competent striker with legit KO power. So overall I don't think he's as good as he was in his prime. His grappling does still seem as good as ever though.
He just defeated marreta, how can he not compete against the elite lhw anymore?

Better

He used to be a pretty one dimensional, slow, plodding striker with power who threw the same shots every time predictably.

He can certainly still punch and has power, but he's fighting in a much smarter, diversified way. He might not have the chin, speed, reflexes or youth anymore but he's showing better fight iq than he ever did in his physical prime.

He's worse for sure but has adapted to that well. He use to be fast and heavy handed and now a days seems to just get rocked and resort to grappling which has been helping him.

He’s the same fighter he’s always been: Solid skillset, slow as molasses.

The answer you’re looking for: The LHW division has just gotten FAAAAR worse over the past decade.

<seedat>

He may not be as fast as he was when he was younger (not that he was a guy known for his quickness and agility anyways), but his fight IQ seemed to have improved and he's willing to give some love towards his underrated ground game if he's matched with a fighter whose striking capabilities exceed his own.

He's arguably a better fighter than he was younger since he's still hanging in there even when you got fresh talent coming in the LHW division, more so since his fight IQ improved.
He can certainly still punch and has power, but he's fighting in a much smarter, diversified way. He might not have the chin, speed, reflexes or youth anymore but he's showing better fight iq than he ever did in his physical prime.
You're certainly right about that yea.

It's kind of worrisome that he has to take shots to get his opponents down to the ground (and even then Glover took some nasty shots when Santos was on top) instead of utilizing his stand-up as a setup for a takedown/grappling scenario or vice versa. In short, he's like a poor man's DC/Khabib almost.

Better

He used to be a pretty one dimensional, slow, plodding striker with power who threw the same shots every time predictably.

I would say his chin didn't even got much worse, he's just slower so he gets hit more, but his chins still alright, he ate some bombs from marreta, truth is he was never hit a lot when younguer so i can't really say his chin was better back than

Better

He can certainly still punch and has power, but he's fighting in a much smarter, diversified way. He might not have the chin, speed reflexes or youth anymore but he's showing better fight iq than he ever did in his physical prime.

FP8ufCpDLEEhHzLYyVOhi0CB7MtNUcW9iZvJ29koMg9kx12_IM85jiyDPXWkBSKIFlFtzU8uz8xOudPvwN_rNYJheOnKcpP3RIBXYbMcaAvmaNy9P_DjfWhSwcKjQzm0fSWargEUWttsj5nOpRHARXJs4CD-3Z9OJQqNcA3yeDHE1bxOuUvLEppQ472acmIe

teixeira-huna_medium.gif

Wut? He's been showing a well rounded game since his UFC debut.

FP8ufCpDLEEhHzLYyVOhi0CB7MtNUcW9iZvJ29koMg9kx12_IM85jiyDPXWkBSKIFlFtzU8uz8xOudPvwN_rNYJheOnKcpP3RIBXYbMcaAvmaNy9P_DjfWhSwcKjQzm0fSWargEUWttsj5nOpRHARXJs4CD-3Z9OJQqNcA3yeDHE1bxOuUvLEppQ472acmIe

teixeira-huna_medium.gif

Thats true but how many times he was as smart in the beggining of his carrer as he is now? Thats a fight iq evolution, he might not even be better technically than he was back than ( to be fair for sure he isn't ) but he fights the right way nowadays and before he used to be pretty one dimension on his own, not because he didn't have the skills, but because he just didn't use them as much. His fight iq is better

He’s the same fighter he’s always been: Solid skillset, slow as molasses.

The answer you’re looking for: The LHW division has just gotten FAAAAR worse over the past decade.

<seedat>
Honestly 100% agree. Glover earned a TS against Jones for a reason, and now that the division is so watered down, he's been able to work his way back to the top. If the division stayed as deep as it was the last time he was the #1 contender, his age would simply not allow him to keep up.
What? Are you being ironic right? He can't compete with them because he doesn't stand with them? Wtf
ESL reading comprehension. He can't stand with guys anymore because he's slow as fuck now, so he's adjusted to become a much grittier ground game focused fighter. Whereas when he was younger he was happy to stand and bang with anyone at all in the division. That's not to say he didn't utilize the mount heavy strategies he's used in his last couple fights when he was younger, it's just I can't really remember him ever being so desperate to yank a guy down to the ground and try tiring him out.

These young kids like Glover really show you just how much the sport has evolved.

teixeira-huna_medium.gif

I'm not saying he didn't have a well rounded game but from what I remember, it seemed like he often didn't use it and was content with standing and banging for much of his UFC tenure.

There is much more intelligence and wisdom behind his approach these days.

Back