Is Gilbert Melendez Delusional?

There is now an article on Fightland which actually states that if Melendez wins, he will enter GOAT discussion.

Unbelievable.

GOAT of what? The Cesar Gracie team? Or MMA GOAT?!!!

BASICALLY COMPARABLE TO ANDERSON AND GSP. WHAT?!

Maybe lightweight GOAT, there is no clear lightweight Jordan as we speak. For the longest time I kept seeing Penn then he loses twice(now three) times against Edgar. Edgar has 2 losses against Bendz who has 2 losses to Petty who lost to Clay freaking Guida. Atleast Gilbert doesn't have quite as many question marks and with an Pettis scalp on his resume he can start talking.

During his run through Pride, many people considered him a GOAT contender as well as Liddell. Neither is talked much of now. Just goes to show you can be on top of the sport and that still doesn't mean you will be regarded as one of the greatest of all time.

Ahhh ok that was still early enough into my mma journey I wasn't active in discussing it ...

It is crazy how time changes perspectives, how the paradigm can shift and what used to be reality is like a, "Wow, did we really think that ?" situation.

UFC Consecutive Title Defenses

Anderson Silva - 10
GSP - 9
Jon Jones - 7
Jose Aldo - 7
Tito Ortiz - 5
Matt Hughes - 5
Demtrius Johnson - 5

Jon Jones and Jose Aldo are very close to surpassing Anderson's UFC record 10 consecutive title defenses. I think with Aldo getting passed Mendes, he has a better shot. Although, I wouldn't count out Edgar who comes on strong in the late rounds Jon Jones on the other hand has to fighter Cormier next then possibly Gus 2 or Rumble. Honestly I think Cormier wins but if Jon Jones gets passed Cormier and then maybe Gus, he can probably go on to have 15 plus consecutive title defenses. Same for Aldo if he can get passed Edgar and Conor. It will be interesting if Anderson and GSP fans still call these two the greatest UFC champions with Jones and or Aldo surpassing them title records.

First off,
Melendez said "one of" the greatest of all time.
Melendez did NOT say "in the discussion as THE GOAT".

And he's right.
For those in the know, Melendez is already among the greatest LWs of all time. A win over Pettis would make that statement that much stronger (obviously).

Gilbert Melendez is on one of the most exclusive lists in MMA history; Fighters who have been Ranked #1 in TWO DIVISIONS.

The name Gilbert Melendez sits alongside names like:
Anderson Silva
Dan Henderson
BJ Penn
Randy Couture
Kazushi Sakuraba

So yeah "one of".

Last edited:
I considered Wand LHW goat until Jones. But Fedor man. Prime Wand > Prime Anderson

it never ceases to amaze me how genuinely retarded some sherdoggers beliefs are

125rvjc.gif

tumblr_lxkckrKpRy1qczqovo1_500.gif

anderson-silva-ko-s-belfort-o.gif

Pride33-DanHendersonXWanderleiSilva-01-KO-400-sg.gif

leben.gif

ufcbrazil-vitorbelfortxwanderleisil.gif

quoting myself because this is my new favorite personal post

Last edited:
There is now an article on Fightland which actually states that if Melendez wins, he will enter GOAT discussion.

Unbelievable.

GOAT of what? The Cesar Gracie team? Or MMA GOAT?!!!

BASICALLY COMPARABLE TO ANDERSON AND GSP. WHAT?!

Stop mis-representing what they're actually saying.

They did NOT say theee GOAT.

Fightland - "... that definitely puts [Melendez] in contention for one of the greatest fighters mixed martial arts ever witnessed."

My reaction:

tumblr_ncso73xlfk1tcfs15o1_500.gif

UFC Consecutive Title Defenses

Anderson Silva - 10
GSP - 9
Jon Jones - 7
Jose Aldo - 7
Tito Ortiz - 5
Matt Hughes - 5
Demtrius Johnson - 5

Jon Jones and Jose Aldo are very close to surpassing Anderson's UFC record 10 consecutive title defenses. I think with Aldo getting passed Mendes, he has a better shot. Although, I wouldn't count out Edgar who comes on strong in the late rounds Jon Jones on the other hand has to fighter Cormier next then possibly Gus 2 or Rumble. Honestly I think Cormier wins but if Jon Jones gets passed Cormier and then maybe Gus, he can probably go on to have 15 plus consecutive title defenses. Same for Aldo if he can get passed Edgar and Conor. It will be interesting if Anderson and GSP fans still call these two the greatest UFC champions with Jones and or Aldo surpassing them title records.

At some point in the very near future, if he keeps winning, it will be impossible to rank GSP or Anderson over Jones and I say that as a massive, massive fan of Georges. Even if he managed to tie GSP at 9, Jones' strength of schedule is utterly ridiculous and would be unassailable in terms of quality. Breaking GSP's record and tying Anderson's, undefeated, probably makes him the GOAT. I don't really give a crap if he moves up to HW or not.

Breaks my heart to say it because I love Georges, but Jones topping his most impressive record with zero losses makes it nothing short of blind nuthuggery to deny his place at the top.

Have Gilbert headline a piece of crap PPV like UFC 151 and see what happens.

Maybe lightweight GOAT, there is no clear lightweight Jordan as we speak. For the longest time I kept seeing Penn then he loses twice(now three) times against Edgar. Edgar has 2 losses against Bendz who has 2 losses to Petty who lost to Clay freaking Guida. Atleast Gilbert doesn't have quite as many question marks and with an Pettis scalp on his resume he can start talking.

He isn't beating Pettis so I don't think we have to worry about all this talk.

What do you want him to say

It's okay to hype yourself up, but this is just stupid. There are a lot of people ahead of him and for him to consider himself THE GOAT after a Pettis win is ridiculous.

It's okay to hype yourself up, but this is just stupid. There are a lot of people ahead of him and for him to consider himself THE GOAT after a Pettis win is ridiculous.

He did say "one of the GOATs" rather than "GOAT" and in that respect I don't think its pushing things to far consider as many have pointed out he could well be considered the greatest LW with a win over Pettis.

Who would I clearly have above him at that point? probably only Fedor, GSP, Nog, Anderson, Jones and Aldo, there would be a case for more names but none really stand out as that obviously to me.

The trouble I would say is that you've got a lot of UFC brand fanboys who were all too keen to throw him on the "overrated non UFC fighter" scape heap after a close loss to Henderson(forgetting of course that him and Pettis weren't in the UFC LW division they were sure was the best a few years ago).

IMO it gives him the chance to contend for the LW GOAT. If he were to win the belt and defends against the likes of Khabib and Cerrone, he would absolutly be in that discussion. For overall GOAT status he would need to defend his UFC belt at leats 5-6 times.

Gilbert Melendez believes that winning the UFC LW title this weekend will put him in the discussion as the MMA GOAT.

I really like Melendez and respect his skills and ability in the cage, but there is no chance a win this weekend will make him GOAT. He'll need to win the title and defend over several years to just enter that discussion. What is he drinking?

Resume's for GOAT

George St. Pierre - 25 - 2 with 8 KO and 5 submissions. Two-time UFC WW Champion with 10 title defenses and held the UFC WW belt from 2007 - 2013.

Fedor Emelianenko - 34 - 4 record with 10 KO and 16 submissions. Undefeated as Pride HW Champion while going 15-0 in Pride that was recognized at the time as an elite organization with most of the top HW's in the world.

Anderson Silva - 33 - 6 record with 20 KO and 6 submissions. 16-0 in the UFC from 2006 to 2012 and defended the MW belt 10 times.

Jon Jones - 20 - 1 record with 9 KO and 6 submissions. Has defended the UFC LHW Championship 7 times and counting and has beaten 5 former UFC Champions.

Jose Aldo - 25 - 1 with 14 KO. UFC Champion since 2011 with 7 title defenses and counting.

Gibert Melendez's Resume

22 - 3 record with 11 KO. Won Strikeforce LW Championship and defended it 4 times.

Today the argument is between Anderson, Fedor and GSP. Wandy had a crazy run in Pride, but his overall career doesn't match Anderson, Fedor or GSP. Jon Jones is doing some things that have never been done as far as beating past champions, another two or three years of defending his belt might make him the GOAT.

Are you fucking serious?

Melendez isn't even close to GOAT talk. Maybe top 10 LW all time. But you have to have Penn, Gomi, Aoki, Edgar, Bendo and Pettis over him easily, and that's a list that doesn't require any thought.

Pettis has done nowhere near as much as Melendez with his career.
The only notable guys Pettis beat were Bendo (X2) and Cerrone
Melendez beat Guida, Kawajiri (X2), Ishida, Thomson (X2), and Aoki

not that Pettis isn't a great fighter with the potential to overtake Melendez, but Pettis hasn't even defended his position as #1 yet. Melendez has had a far more consistent career

Back