Is gi Jiujitsu the most complicated combat sport?

ok so I am might confused.

what you are suggesting is that a BJJ instructor will need to a certificate in coaching in order to teach BJJ?

the coaching program would have no component of any BJJ techniques...just only coaching.
Yes.

There is science behind the knowledge of how to coach a kid, an adult and a senior. To understand it, you need to know their capacity on a level, not taught in BJJ class, but in sport academy/ university. Same with athlete preparation- how to use periodization, different methods to increase capacity of different athletes. You dont just teach them techniques and push them to roll.

To know a 1000 techniques doesnt mean a person is suitable to coach.
To win a championship doesnt mean a person can coach.
In many countries, a champion would be required to study the sport he is a world champion in, on scientific level, so he can be a coach. Or he will be assigned as technical coach, but the conditioning coach would be a different person, all of them supervised by a committee- thats how Olympic sports work.

It has been discussed here before- what would happen if East Europe/ Russia Olympic judo or wrestling coaches are involved in BJJ?
They will first spend time analyzing the sport and extract the most common positions and winning strategies, then build methodology around them, including short/ medium/ long term conditioning protocols.
None of them will be interested in rolling. Thats not part of their job.

ok so I am might confused.

what you are suggesting is that a BJJ instructor will need to a certificate in coaching in order to teach BJJ?

the coaching program would have no component of any BJJ techniques...just only coaching.
Our point is that there's MUCH more to coaching than just teaching techniques....and that having a basic standard for it would benefit the sport to have coaches educated in basic aspects of the non technical side and share ideas and techniques and ways to teach the techniques....

but like drilling, lifting, and nutrition, whenever stuff like this is suggested to help improve bjj. It's always
1. We're not jocks,
2. Make it about something it's not

Yes.T

There is science behind the knowledge of how to coach a kid, an adult and a senior. To understand it, you need to know their capacity on a level, not taught in BJJ class, but in sport academy/ university. Same with athlete preparation- how to use periodization, different methods to increase capacity of different athletes. You dont just teach them techniques and push them to roll.

To know a 1000 techniques doesnt mean a person is suitable to coach.
To win a championship doesnt mean a person can coach.
In many countries, a champion would be required to study the sport he is a world champion in, on scientific level, so he can be a coach. Or he will be assigned as technical coach, but the conditioning coach would be a different person, all of them supervised by a committee- thats how Olympic sports work.

It has been discussed here before- what would happen if East Europe/ Russia Olympic judo or wrestling coaches are involved in BJJ?
They will first spend time analyzing the sport and extract the most common positions and winning strategies, then build methodology around them, including short/ medium/ long term conditioning protocols.
None of them will be interested in rolling. Thats not part of their job.
None of that includes the non scientific aspects like reading athletes and knowing who to push and who to back off on because of individual personality and style, how to keep a teenager focused and help them understand losing a girlfriend isn't the end of the world, actual ways of teaching/showing techniques in a way that actually gets the athletes executing right away (which can vary vastly from coach to coach and work for them), dealing with parents and fundraising and on and on..

There is as much an [art + science] to coaching as there is to learning and becoming good at bjj as a practitioner/competitor

or is it no gi with all the leg locks and crazy scrambles.

How in the world is stuff still being invented at such a fast pace. Been training bjj for 3 years very consistently and I'm yet to understand nearly a tenth of the various positions.

Reminds me of Dominick Cruz and bjj scout, where I think I understand what's going on but really I don't at all. With high level 'fancy' bjj sometimes I don't even know what I'm watching.

Anyone feel me on this? I have to admit I'm more of an MMA guy so I don't really do my due diligence in watching bjj or much technique and breakdown videos.

Do any purple-black belts feel like they know exactly what they are watching the entire time for almost any given high level bjj match? I guess my understanding is just low because i simply don't watch bjj but just train it.

I feel like the leg lock positioning game in no gi is where it really gets confusing
tie between gi and no gi

If we are going by rules alone it's got to be IJF rules judo. Although I should imagine IBJJF gi rules are catching up.

yes, sportch jiujits is the most complicated combat sport. so many subtle details with grabbing the pajamas in certain ways and inverting, .etc.

If we are going by rules alone it's got to be IJF rules judo. Although I should imagine IBJJF gi rules are catching up.

I quote my last judo coach last tournament at a ref:
"I've been doing judo for 40 years as a coach and competitor and I can't even keep the rules straight, and you've been Reffing for what one year? You miss an obvious osekomi because youve decided to not use live corner judges but theres 6 of you to catch this five year olds sleeves being too short? Where are your priorities man?"

Back