• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Is Gentrification a Bad Thing?

If you are renting you can expect your rent to go up eventually. If the neighborhood improves drastically you can expect to not be able to afford it when your lease is up. It’s part of renting. So you can’t demonize the people improving the area. You can’t get mad at people wanting nicer housing, since that’s what you’re saying the people who live there now aren’t want the same thing for themselves. So sorry. That’s life. Unless you’re going to give away some housing of course

Got it, you realize just how stupid your posts were and you're back to pretending that there are no home owners who experience negative consequences as a result of gentrification. Mostly by completely ignoring everything I said in my first point.

So they government decides how my property is used?

Fuck that.

They've been doing it since the country was founded, buster. And they're doing it now. Try building a watchtower on your lawn if you don't believe me.

Blacks risk losing their areas and suddenly your a nationalist.

I have no idea how you made this connection.

Good.

The issues of weak rental rights are separate because they are not limited to gentrified/ing areas.

Got it, you realize just how stupid your posts were and you're back to pretending that there are no home owners who experience negative consequences as a result of gentrification. Mostly by completely ignoring everything I said in my first point.

Examples?

i dont want to hear any wealthy people complaining about crime if they move into and around it.

i also dont want to hear "im tired of section 8 in my neighborhood!" when they buy houses in gentrified neighborhoods.

I think it was inevitable that poorer suburbs/areas/districts closer to the CBD that are semi affordable are going to get bought up by either baby boomers or millenials looking to buy their first home.

the major issue is all that wealth that the boomers have means millenials pay ridiculous prices for average homes.

in the long run its good for the neighborhood imo. but it brings change, and change always leaves some people out, while benefiting others.

but

it can cause home values to increase to the point where the traditional families who lived there for generations, can no longer afford. it can make people feel as if their heritage is being stolen. white people buying chinese art museums in NYC chinatown for example. some ethnic chinese people there probably dont care, but some of those people are furious.

The US is being changed fundamentally with immigration. As is Europe. If we can't keep our culture and demographics then boo fucking whoo to Chinatown concerning gentrification.

The US is being changed fundamentally with immigration. As is Europe. If we can't keep our culture and demographics then boo fucking whoo to Chinatown concerning gentrification.

changed "fundamentally?" you might be exaggerating a bit there. really, the US has always been changing. the absurd thing is to believe that culture is static. it never has been, doing back to mesopotamia lol.

It is very odd how noone sheds a tear for the poor whites who had to move out as these suburbs became increasingly diverse. But when these exact same people face losing their suburb to wealthier boomers, millenials and propperty developers its a whole different matter.

http://theconversation.com/when-a-suburbs-turn-for-gentrification-comes-75609

I have no idea how you made this connection.

Your making the point that its not fair on poorer blacks who have roots in those areas who will have too move elsewhere. Kinda goes aginst everything you debate on these boards.

If they were poor whites being pushed aside by illegals you would not care.

changed "fundamentally?" you might be exaggerating a bit there. really, the US has always been changing. the absurd thing is to believe that culture is static. it never has been, doing back to mesopotamia lol.
California is becoming Mexico. There are more radio stations in Spanish than English in Los Angeles.

Dont think its fair that people work their whole lives to avoid the hood and trailer park, only to have them pop up yards from their Quiet community.

Thats some ol bullshit.

Also think its some ol bullshit for stinky earred mochachino drinkers to knock down housing projects in favor of panini shoppes.

Your making the point that its not fair on poorer blacks who have roots in those areas who will have too move elsewhere. Kinda goes aginst everything you debate on these boards.

If they were poor whites being pushed aside by illegals you would not care.

...no it doesn't. I have never once advocated for "poor whites being pushed aside by" undocumented immigrants. And I've spoken considerably on the plight of the white poor and try my darnedest to advocate for him equally despite their god awful politics.

Gentrification is good for everyone except for he people who have to move from the ghetto to the other ghetto. Got it

Examples?
There are none. If you own he home in the area your value goes up and the area improves. All the horror stories you read about

In the end it only benefits those who sell or stay in their home

Examples?
Examples of negative consequences for home owners?
I'll give one. I live in an area that's rapidly becoming gentrified. I got in early, so overall this will be a big benefit for me. For older people on fixed incomes, they have seen their home values go up and thus their property taxes and insurance premiums go up as well. If they can't afford to pay those taxes on top of their mortgage, they have to sell. Luckily, they will make a killing when they sell, but they have friends or family in the neighborhood that they will have to say good bye to.
The same thing happens with businesses. Your favorite hole in the wall Mexican takeout restaurant gets pushed out when the yuppies start moving in and gets replaces with some vegan cupcake bakery or some other bullshit. Little things that gave your neighborhood color and character get diluted.

All in all, its a tradeoff. Some people will benefit, some will not. Overall it's probably a good thing, but I feel for people that get pushed out. No good answer for how to prevent it or if it even should. It's a supply and demand issue.

California is becoming Mexico. There are more radio stations in Spanish than English in Los Angeles.

radio stations? people still listen to the radio?

are there more local news stations in LA in spanish than english? that would be a better measure of the true impact of immigration.

can you believe how much italian immigration of the early 20th century changed our national palate? how horrific it is. our culture is gone...

Shouldn't everyone be affected by supply and demand? So people have to move? So fucking what. They can move somewhere else to live in squalor.
Oh, they will be moved somewhere else. Then that somewhere else's property values will decrease, causing the previous residents to flee. In a generation or two, gentrification will rear it's ugly/pretty head and gentrify that area. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pushes poor people to the side and makes them live in shittier places.

Yay.

Yes and no. A lot of times the poor a placed in better neighborhoods which eventually transform economically and socially into where the once came from. Then later on that area is gentrified.

...no it doesn't. I have never once advocated for "poor whites being pushed aside by" undocumented immigrants. And I've spoken considerably on the plight of the white poor and try my darnedest to advocate for him equally despite their god awful politics.

Well that's fucked. As if life weren't bad enough for poor people (of any race) to begin with. Now they have Trotsky advocating for them.

Full disclosure- I'd fucking kill myself if I ever needed a pretend lawyer charging $5 an hour to defend or advocate for me. If you're reading this and you've used Trotsky's legal services it's not OK. #YouToo.

I'd take @panamaican any day, even though he though he's move more left and left everyday.

Back