Is fight record becoming too important?

otizik**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
3-4 losses in a row started carrying so much weight that I feel there is an overarching fear you will get cut regardless of the effort or intentions. It pushes fighters to take less risk and coast to the guaranteed decisions.

Having said that, I would rather pay to see 3 Jiri or Gathje's exciting losses in a row than 20 Rakic's decisions just to record a W.

They do this shit for the fans after all.

Last edited:
Fuck the fans.. fighters should only care about winning and if they lose a few in a row, being cut might be warranted

I mean losses should be put into perspective

If someone at welterweight loses to Usman, Colby, and Thompson, that's 3, they're losing to the cream of the crop, don't deserve the cut. Give them a step down and lose another 2? Maybe.

It’s always represented potential, but it didn’t stop guys like Yoel and the lack of it gives me high hopes for Toni Smith.

Blame the UFC for cutting guys after a few losses then

Fuck the fans.. fighters should only care about winning and if they lose a few in a row, being cut might be warranted

Is that why you and your teammates are so happy winning the NBA championship without a crowd last year?

Btw, the Clippers swept you this regular season 4-0.

Lol jk :D

3-4 losses in a row started carrying so much weight that I feel there is an overarching fear you will get cut regardless of the effort or intentions. It pushes fighters to take less risk and coast to the guaranteed decisions.

Having said that, I would rather pay to see 3 Jiri or Gathje's exciting losses in a row than 20 Rakic's decisions just to record a W.

Yep, just look at this forum. If a guy loses he's a bum now according to Sherbro's. It's really unfortunate too because fans not caring about fighters records was a big leg up the MMA fanbase had on Boxing fans imo. That's a part of the reason why Boxers started protecting their 0's, and not fighting anybody worth a damn until they were ready to cashout. If the fanbase is not willing to pay to watch fighters with loses on their records, the best stop fighting each other through most of their primes. Just look at Terence Crawford & Erroll Spence in boxing for a example, both have 0's neither has really fought anyone, they are considered the best at their weight, but they will probably never fight. If they do it will be their retirement fight, because the loss effects their ability to make money.

Sorry for the messy rant.

I don't want to sound like an ole bear but Pride was better at weighing actually having exciting fights over fighter's actual record.

The guy that was 15-9 but anyways put on bonkers fights would get booked over the the cherry picking 17-1 guy.

Blah blah blah. Yakuza. Corruption. Blah blah blah.

Do you really think you've never watched a fixed fight in the UFC?

Yep, just look at this forum. If a guy loses he's a bum now according to Sherbro's. It's really unfortunate too because fans not caring about fighters records was a big leg up the MMA fanbase had on Boxing fans imo. That's a part of the reason why Boxers started protecting their 0's, and not fighting anybody worth a damn until they were ready to cashout. If the fanbase is not willing to pay to watch fighters with loses on their records, the best stop fighting each other through most of their primes. Just look at Terence Crawford & Erroll Spence in boxing for a example, both have 0's neither has really fought anyone, they are considered the best at their weight, but they will probably never fight. If they do it will be their retirement fight, because the loss effects their ability to make money.

Sorry for the messy rant.
To be fair. Management teams plan fights. Boxers would fight whoever you put in front of them. It's boxer's really smart "agents" that try and squeeze every penny out of a fight that keep fights from happening.

"I let my management deal with that"

To be fair. Management teams plan fights. Boxers would fight whoever you put in front of them. It's boxer's really smart "agents" that try and squeeze every penny out of a fight that keep fights from happening.

"I let my management deal with that"
Yes, but it's that way because protecting that 0 is what makes boxers the most money they can. If losing didn't effect what they could make, management would let the best fight the best more often, because they could still make the same. It's a factor for sure.

Winning has always mattered but nah it ain't like boxing. Jan v. Glover is the next title fight at lhw and they have 15 losses between them. Lewis has 7 and is about to fight for the hw belt again. There's plenty of other examples but my point is losses matter in this sport but you can overcome them. If you have 7 losses in boxing your pretty much done.

Lucky it's not really that important like you say. And there are lots of top fighters with loses. Mcgregor and masvidal are two of the biggest mma stars now days and they got lots of losses but the fans still don't care. So yeah it's not the end of your career. Boxing is another story but than again there is notuch hope for this sport because many of top fighters will never fight each other

Hell Masvidal just fought for a title twice with over 10 losses. He didn't deserve the 2nd one but still.

It's a sport . At the end of it all winning is what really matters and that's the way it should be

Respectfully disagree. Beating up other people adds no value to society unless it provides entertainment and diversion. The sport wouldn’t exist if it didn’t entertain us. Look how difficult it is to make money in most sports.

Fighters need to balance winning and being entertaining.

There is a double standard to call for exciting fights and structure a bonus system around it just to then cut the exciting fighters when they lose. Can't have both. Leads to playing it safe, in fear of losing and getting cut.

But a bigger point in this is lately the gap between smaller shows and the Big One has become smaller. BT, PFL and ONE are good alternatives who also pay decently. So getting cut from the UFC isn't as bad as let's say post the SF and WEC buyouts, when the before mentioned 3 orgs didn't exist or were in the early stages under Rebney. Alternatives then were the small Japan shows. Not the same opportunities, and not in the US.

So, bang freely.

Last edited:
It's a sport . At the end of it all winning is what really matters and that's the way it should be

It's like you've never seen the UFC before.

Winning and losing doesn't matter, the UFC will make whatever fights it wants. You can get title shots off loses, you can get titles and premier fights in divisions you never fought of, you can be cut after winning.

Back