• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Fabricio Werdum really that good?

Best BJJ at HW. Very good standup when he's patient. I don't think he's overrated at all. Perhaps not the best ever, but certainly top 5 today.

Stipe is better.

dealwithit.gif

A mw punched out Fedor at 33. Not so sure how well I feel about goat status. I think he has the best hw bjj. He is a good fighter. Greatness I am not do sure. I think he gets trashed vs Reem on a threequel

you can deny anyones achievements if you frame them a certain way

"a WW smacked Gustaffson around in his home town he was never any good"

"Matt Hughes lost his WW strap to a LW what a joke"

"Forrest Griffin got his shit pushed in by a MW one fight removed from being the LHW champ is he for real"

doesn't matter what weight class Hendo has fought as low as he has a TRT infused right hand of death being KO'd by it is not something you can or should hold against any man, especially not one that went 10 years undefeated at heavyweight

Fabricio is really solid.

Good stand up and ground.

He just made a mistake.

I never thought he was GOAT material but he is great. Perhaps one of the greatest of all times, with a few qualifying footnotes.

Tangentially related, Fedor was an idiot for going after Werdum on the ground, as is evidenced by how Arlovki, JDS, Overeem, and Miocic were able to beat him standing. There is no way Werdum was ever going to take Fedor down, nor was there any way Werdum could have beaten Fedor standing. Fedor's camp HAD to ficking know this. Somewhere somehow there was a major breakdown in tactical planning for that fight.

Well, he lost his last fight, so no, he isn't that good. In fact, it's very likely that he was never really that good in the first place. Don't you know how Sherdog works, TS?

Yes he managed to submit 2 of the greatest HWs of all time, but he sucks!

Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain, but the submission he used was such a simple/easy one.

Getting a triangle armbar is not very common in MMA, so it's probably not that simple or easy. Neither is a "regular" armbar, or a triangle. Statistically rear naked chokes and guillotines are by far the most common submission.

Besides, if those submissions are so simple or easy, his opponents should have been able to easily avoid them. Maybe there is some subtle timing and movement in the way Werdum pulls submissions that you and I aren't equipped to understand.

Well, he lost his last fight, so no, he isn't that good. In fact, it's very likely that he was never really that good in the first place. Don't you know how Sherdog works, TS?

Yeah plus heavyweight isn't that deep of a division; bunch of old guys just getting KOed all the time.

Sherdog: you are only as good as your last fight.

Yes.

Despite two devestating, and rather embarrassing, quick first round KO losses, he will go down as one of the ATG HWs (who all also have embarassing first round KO losses as well).

you can deny anyones achievements if you frame them a certain way

"a WW smacked Gustaffson around in his home town he was never any good"

"Matt Hughes lost his WW strap to a LW what a joke"

"Forrest Griffin got his shit pushed in by a MW one fight removed from being the LHW champ is he for real"

doesn't matter what weight class Hendo has fought as low as he has a TRT infused right hand of death being KO'd by it is not something you can or should hold against any man, especially not one that went 10 years undefeated at heavyweight
A man who has competed many times at 170lbs knocked out Mark Hunt cold with the first punch he threw. That's all you needed to say.

Yes he really is that good. One of the best HW fighters of all time. He just doesn't quite have that elite level striking.

Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain. Both extremely skilled heavy weights, but the submission he used was such a simple/easy one. Take Cody Mckenzie for example, he wasn't really that special at MMA he was just really good at doing his signature guiliotine. What do you guys think? Is Fabricio Werdum over rated?
Why do you even make this thread? Everytime someone loses, someone asks this same question. It is not even worth a legitimate answer.

Werdum's resume:

Fedor
Cain
Nogueira
Gonzaga x2
Hunt
Roy
Overeem
TRT Bigfoot
Browne

No the praise he gets is pretty warranted I'd say

I'll add that he has the only submission win ever against Fedor and the only submission win ever against Cain. And I believe only Werdum and Mir have submitted Nogueira.
Werdum won 6 in a row at HW in the UFC and has sustained a career 80% finish rate. He's f'ing fantastic.

Anyone calling a fighter overrated after getting the belt with a resume like that is an idiot.

He's obviously a great HW, just made a stupid mistake against a good counter puncher.

Not to take anything away from Stipe, but until Stipe proves he can beat JDS, Cain, Overeem and a few more HW's and hold onto the title, he hasn't proven to be that great himself, just a good stylistic match-up vs Werdum.

It's not that a fighter is bad, they just meet their match, stylistically, everyone can be beaten, even the best fighters.

Werdum still beat Cain and Fedor.

Back