• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Fabricio Werdum really that good?

Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain. Both extremely skilled heavy weights, but the submission he used was such a simple/easy one. Take Cody Mckenzie for example, he wasn't really that special at MMA he was just really good at doing his signature guiliotine. What do you guys think? Is Fabricio Werdum over rated?
Its a matter of timing. I dont think he is over rated. His ground game is very technical...his striking is above average and excellent against slower opponents. But althlectic, faster heavyweights will beat him. There has been a wave of big doofuses in the heavyweight ranks and he has done well. If a few light heavyweights move up...athletic, fast guys, maybe things would change for him but he is very good and he is rated very good...no more no less.

Never say "Is this fighter overrated" right after that fighter loses. It makes you look short-sighted and presumptuous.
Before the loss, the threads were all "Is Werdum the greatest ever?".
See how Sherdog threads change after just one fight?

You're right ts they were easy submissions. It's just that the previous 50 combined opponents just didn't think to do them

Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain. Both extremely skilled heavy weights, but the submission he used was such a simple/easy one. Take Cody Mckenzie for example, he wasn't really that special at MMA he was just really good at doing his signature guiliotine. What do you guys think? Is Fabricio Werdum over rated?

Cody McKenzie never subbed guys Werdum subbed. The one time he went against Chad mini Mendes he got steamrolled.

Do we have to have one of these threads every time someone loses a fight?

MMA fans are so fickle it's unreal.

White_belt.png

The belt doth fit,
the thread is shit.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
U think the fedor submission was simple and easy? Are u smoking fucking crack

Yes, Werdum is one of the best heavyweight MMA fighters in the world.
He holds wins over the best heavyweight fighters in the world .
Yes, he applied submission techniques to defeat opponent's and regardless you're categorized value of what was applied to win it was not pointed out his world class opponent should know correct application to defend the submission.
If you think about it he beat the best in the world like that
Kinda made it look easy too.
So yeah .... He's that good.

No one with a loss is any good.

Actually, even undefeated fighters are only winning because they haven't fought Fighter X with Y quality.

You learn a lot reading these forums. I think the UFC would have much better talent if they fired the entire current roster and replaced them NBA and NFL players. After that fire all the trainers, nutritionists, and cornermen and replace them with Sherdog posters of various self-proclaimed expertise. Then we'll finally see some good fights, and the fighters won't all be C-class athletes with no fight IQ making excuses, training wrong, cheating, and just generally not living up a reasonable standard of transcendent perfection.

Excellent grappler, average striker.

Totally agree.

He had a good run, enabled partly by his skills and partly by luck.
He subbed Fedor and Cain, both guys capable of KO'ing him but they fell into traps.
He had an excellent UFC run, but managed to earn a title shot and win the title, though avoiding 3 high profile HW with wins over him (JDS, AA, Reem).

Now there is all this fuss about Stipe being the best HW.
He beat the same guy that AA, JDS, and Reem beat.
Stipe lost to JDS recently.

Do you all understand how fluid this all is?
Do you all understand that it's a bloody miracle to go on a streak like Fedor, Anderson, GSP, or Jones have gone on?

the dude is too slow and nonathletic. His ground game is amazing because his long limps. His standup is borderline amateur

No one with a loss is any good.

Actually, even undefeated fighters are only winning because they haven't fought Fighter X with Y quality.

You learn a lot reading these forums. I think the UFC would have much better talent if they fired the entire current roster and replaced them NBA and NFL players. After that fire all the trainers, nutritionists, and cornermen and replace them with Sherdog posters of various self-proclaimed expertise. Then we'll finally see some good fights, and the fighters won't all be C-class athletes with no fight IQ making excuses, training wrong, cheating, and just generally not living up a reasonable standard of transcendent perfection.
Finally, a rational post. :D

"Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain."

/thread

I was waiting for this type of thread to come around

World class bjj. Truth be told, consensus was that, Werdum couldn't hack it in ufc, and not thought to be a top star. It wasn't until he tapped Fedor that people thought he was any good. I think styles make fights. I think it was 1 in a million times that Werdum beats Fedor but, the can crushing led to complacency which led to the loss. If he never bear Fedor, he would be some guy with great bjj.

"Yes, he was able to submit both Fedor and Cain."

/thread

A mw punched out Fedor at 33. Not so sure how well I feel about goat status. I think he has the best hw bjj. He is a good fighter. Greatness I am not do sure. I think he gets trashed vs Reem on a threequel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back