• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Eddie Alvarez about as basic as it gets when it comes to fight style?

"Basic" in Conor fan lingo means having good wrestling, cardio and BJJ.

'Basic' in Just Bleed fan lingo means fighting smart and consistently out-skilling opponents while not having flashy moves/jaw-dropping power.

Wrestling background + basic boxing fundamentals is the best style for mma.

Alvarez has a 69" reach, versus McGregor at 74". Seems like McGregor has a big advantage standing.

Is there anyone more generic than Eddie Alvarez. Club level boxing + collegiate level wrestling packed into an average 5ft9 frame. The only thing more cliche is if he would throw a superman punch to start the fight

for the sake of the evolution of MMA, I hope Conor tunes him up with some left hands

It's called "Bread and Butter" and sometimes it's the best thing to be.

lol what do you call Bisping than? Or Stipe? Is Stipe super basic? What about Woodley? Or Lawler?

Boxing and wrestling = basic fighter got it
Lmao, stipe has 10x the boxing skills and fundamentals that Eddie does, plus he wrestled at a way higher level competitively. I didn't come here to trash Eddie, but ts isn't wrong. He doesn't excel at boxing or wrestling.

Why is 'basic' considered a bad thing?

Stipe beat Overeem
Bisping beat Rockhold
Lawler beat Condit
RDA beat Pettis
Tate beat Holm

All recent examples of a more 'basic' seeming fighter prevailing at championship level so..?
alright, this is going too far. Eddie is a good, well trained and well conditioned, extremely tough fighter

He is not as skilled as a guy like Stipe. He does not have the boxing and striking technique. I lean more toward the OP than a post like this. Don't compare them.

alright, this is going too far. Eddie is a good, well trained and well conditioned, extremely tough fighter

He is not as skilled as a guy like Stipe. He does not have the boxing and striking technique. I lean more toward the OP than a post like this. Don't compare them.

LOL, I'm just comparing them because a lot of people think/thought of Stipe as a generic basic guy similar to Eddie.

LOL, I'm just comparing them because a lot of people think/thought of Stipe as a generic basic guy similar to Eddie.
But that's a bad comparison, which is why I posted. They both have boxing and wresting bases but that's about as similar as they are.

I agree. I'm kind of sick of the wrestler-boxer style. I mostly always root against them. The whole reason I like MMA is to see all the different styles compete, not the same old wrestler-boxer over and over again.
so you aren't interested in the best styles and fighters, only whatever kung-fu fantasies are in your head? stick with movies because basic skill sets are the foundation of repeatably high level fighters

"Nate does everything well"

LMAO are you posting via a speech to text program? Because clearly your eyesight is severely limited.
You're arguing with a guy who said Dillon Danis > Roger Gracie and Kav > Maia and would submit him quickly. Scariest part is he is serious!
raw

Conor doesn't even have a ground game...

so you aren't interested in the best styles and fighters, only whatever kung-fu fantasies are in your head? stick with movies because basic skill sets are the foundation of repeatably high level fighters

I dont care about Kung-Fu. I care about different styles. Maia, Jaracre, Michael Page, Conor, Diaz, that landon vanata guy... guys that are unique in their styles. I'm not going to be a fan of a fighting style that I've seen a billion times.

And yes the conventional wrestler-boxer style seems to work the best, but that doesn't mean I have to root for them. Everyone has their own preferences.

Back