Is Dustin about to get screwed over? Conor vs Justin for the belt next?

UFC would never do it, but an 8-man tourney for the LW belt would make a lot of sense right now--Conor, Poirier, Chandler, Ferguson, Gaethje, Hooker, Oliveira, and Ferriera

Wheres islam?

<{Heymansnicker}>

lol why would that happen? Dustin is coming off a win and stopped Justin not long ago. He's the bigger fight for Conor

Lol. It'll be Conor vs Poirer for the vacant belt next.

UFC love having Conor has champ, and Poirer might be the easiest fight for him at the moment. They were ready to give him a shot after beating Cowboy at WW lol. Him and Dustin are already fighting, and Tony and Gathje are now both coming off losses, so Conor vs Dustin for the belt is the easiest to market.

Thread title says it all. I have a sneaking suspicion that January fight becomes a LW title fight between Conor and Justin.... hope I am wrong.
Nooooo. I think Dustin vs tony being scrapped was too much of a coincidence.

imo we should've been getting dustin Justin 2 for the belt because I believe that Gaethje keeps the interim.

UFC would never do it, but an 8-man tourney for the LW belt would make a lot of sense right now--Conor, Poirier, Chandler, Ferguson, Gaethje, Hooker, Oliveira, and Ferriera

That always sounds nice on paper, but who you gonna get for the first defense? It would have to be with someone coming off a loss.

Tournaments are a great short term, but stupid long term

I said this in another thread but I would much rather see an 8-man tournament for the title. The lightweight division is the marquee for the UFC and a larger tournament is a great way to build new stars. There are some absolutely ridiculously matches to look forward to on paper too.

Quarter-finals:
A. (1) Dustin Poirier vs (8) Islam Makhachev
B. (4) Tony Ferguson vs (5) Michael Chandler
C. (3) Conor McGregor vs (6) Charles Oliveira
D. (2) Justin Gaethje vs (7) Dan Hooker

Semi-Finals:
E. Winner A vs Winner B
F. Winner C vs Winner D

Final:
G. Winner E vs Winner F

Alternates in the event of injury: Carlos Ferreira, Beneil Dariush

Dustin is more deserving of all 3 of them, beating Dan Hooker at LW is better than a washed Cowboy at WW. Deciding between Conor and Gaethje is the tougher call, Conor hasn’t fought at LW in years but is still coming off a win Gaethje did just lose and worse than all of them vs Khabib, but he’s not that far removed from beating Tony Ferguson which is more impressive than either of Dustin and Conor’s recent accomplishments.

should just have a tournament

Honestly Dustin and Gaethje should fight for it and Conor gets the winner. Justin definitely deserve to fight for it immediately
Justin deserves to fight for a title immediately? Eh, what? Didn’t he just fight for the title and get choked unconscious today? Didn’t he fight Dustin and get KOed as well? Since when does losing a title fight (very convincingly I might add) earn someone an immediate shot at that exact title that they just fought for? What kind of backwards ass logic are you using to justify another immediate title shot for Justin?

And why is the guy who just got obliterated right back into the title picture?

Isn't the Conor vs Dustin fight already signed?

Feel like Dustin vs conor 2 is just a better fight at the moment in my opinion. Mini tournament for the belt Dustin vs conor winner fights winner of Tony vs Chandler. Gaethje just had his chance.

Back