Is Diaz vs. Lawler All Hype and No Substance?

The last time Nick Diaz looked good in the Octagon was 10 years ago vs. B.J. Penn. The last time Lawler looked good was almost 6 years ago vs. Carlos Condit. So why is anyone expecting anything from either of these two?
I'd have to rewatch the fight, but if my admittedly questionable memory serves, Penn was doing just fine in that fight until he gassed. Diaz outlasted him, it's not like he put it on him from the get go. Granted, that's often the Diaz brothers' strategy, but depending on your opponent having a poor gas tank (which Penn did at the time) seems like a bad idea to me.

It all depends on what we get. If Nick looks good its an interesting fight, if its a Lidell/Ortiz III type of deal then yes its pointless.

Man, who am I supposed to root for??

It's like nailing the hot girl from high-school when you're both in your late 30's even though she's fat now and her skin looks like an elephant's. It may not actually be cool, but you're still going to brag about it.

It's like nailing the hot girl from high-school when you're both in your late 30's even though she's fat now and her skin looks like an elephant's. It may not actually be cool, but you're still going to brag about it.
Or that girl you meet online that sent pictures of her from 5-8 years ago and when you meet up she has gone down hill. You never tell yours boys that she changed. You just show them the hot pictures of the girl you banged out.

I like that analogy. As well, there will still be that excitement element somewhat put in perspective, it'll be an interesting page in your life story, and of course a strong element of nostalgia. Love it. Can't wait for the fight, thanks to you.

I’m a fan of both guys. But yes. They’re both 10 years post prime.

Everyone knows it’s just a nostalgia fight for the hardcores with no real bearing on current rankings. You all need to learn to just take this shit as it comes, because it’s not often we get fights like these.

If the fight ends up being a banger, then great. If it’s a dud, then oh well shit happens.
Haters gonna hate... fuckem.

I doubt anyone with anything negative to say would get in the cage with either of this version of these guys.

If anyone expects Nick to look good they're smoking rocks

All I hope is that both guys show up and get paid well, putting on a FOTN performance would be awesome, but Robbie is obviously at the end and there is no doubt Nick will be a shell of his former self.

I'm going to watch because I'm a big fan of both warriors, but not because I'm expecting FOTN or for either to look particularly good.

i agree completely ....but who are you taking ?

I feel like it will be ugly & sad. And if you replaced it on the ppv with the Marlon or Hooker fight it wouldn't make the ppv any worse.

In terms of title contention this fight has no bearing.

But I don’t care I just wanna see them scrap again.

All Hype but I’ll allow it.

<{cum@me}>
90 % of the fights the UFC puts on has no bearing in the title picture. Sherdog just posted a headline, yes a HEADLINE, on their site announcing Bryan Barbarena vs Matt Brown lmaoo. You UFC fans are the most fucked over, willfully stupid fan base in all of sports lol.

90 % of the fights the UFC puts on has no bearing in the title picture. Sherdog just posted a headline, yes a HEADLINE, on their site announcing Bryan Barbarena vs Matt Brown lmaoo. You UFC fans are the most fucked over, willfully stupid fan base in all of sports lol.
"You UFC fans" says someone posting on an MMA forum lol. Who cares about the title picture? Most people just want to see good fights.

"You UFC fans" says someone posting on an MMA forum lol. Who cares about the title picture? Most people just want to see good fights.
"Who cares about the title picture" yeah, willfully stupid sounds just about right

I think it’s just people feeling nostalgic and reminiscing on the past. One of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs goes, “Nothing seems as pretty as the past though.”

Diaz is washed, Lawler is as gun shy as Derrick Lewis but still pulls out knock outs..

Back