Is Diaz vs. Lawler All Hype and No Substance?

Leonard Haid

Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream
@red
Reaction score
The last time Nick Diaz looked good in the Octagon was 10 years ago vs. B.J. Penn. The last time Lawler looked good was almost 6 years ago vs. Carlos Condit. So why is anyone expecting anything from either of these two?

If anyone expects Nick to look good they're smoking rocks

All I hope is that both guys show up and get paid well, putting on a FOTN performance would be awesome, but Robbie is obviously at the end and there is no doubt Nick will be a shell of his former self.

I'm going to watch because I'm a big fan of both warriors, but not because I'm expecting FOTN or for either to look particularly good.

Last edited:
I disagree that the BJ fight was the last time Nick Diaz looked good. He looked good against Condit in a fight that was shit. I thought Condit won but it was 3 to 2. It's hard to hold Nick not looking good against GSP and Anderson Silva against him. He has been out a long time and who knows how he will look but IMO him having taken a lot less damage than Lawler is a bigger benefit than Lawler having been active. We shall see though, I just hope it's a good fight and don't really care who wins cause i'm a fan of both fighters.

The last time Nick Diaz looked good in the Octagon was 10 years ago vs. B.J. Penn. The last time Lawler looked good was almost 6 years ago vs. Carlos Condit. So why is anyone expecting anything from either of these two?
Two fighters way past their prime that won’t fight for the title again in the twilight of their careers

I hope it looks better than Liddell vs Ortiz III. This fight was sad, both guys looked slow and old. Diaz vs Lawler has the potential to look like this shit show.
giphy.gif

Nostalgia and two needle movers that seriously don't dick around in the Octagon. I don't mean major sellers, just names that casuals will know.

It's fun -- don't get me wrong, it's pretty irrelevant in other terms -- but it will sell. My local bar that shows fights was already booked for it last week (favoritism and friends are a crazy thing) . Of course that the whole card, but you ask around and people for SOME damn reason mention this fight. So it's good shit....

UFC 47 gave a lot of great memories I carry to this day, and I drink rum like water....

I liked what Lawler was doing to Askren up until the end but who knows where he's at now. I don't have high hopes for anything out of Nick other than durability and endurance. hype accepted but expectations tempered.

If they're both bad, it should be competitive.
It would be interesting, though, if one of them is way more effective than the other.

For some weird reason I feel like this fight is going to be good, Lawler has been chewing on this for 17 years... I guarantee he aint coming to fuck around.

Then again, it could be a complete dance fest.

Nick is 38, and his last win was against BJ Penn almost a decade ago. Ring rust is a real factor for the majority of fighters, and especially for a fighter that hasn't fought in 6.5 years, and ESPECIALLY for not having an impressive performance in over 8 years.

This will be, at best, like when Diaz fought Silva, and it'll be a sparring match for 5 rounds with either fighter ever going for the kill and Diaz doing his typical Diaz shit in the octagon.

If they're both bad, it should be competitive.
It would be interesting, though, if one of them is way more effective than the other.
this is exactly what I loved about old school events. in UFC 1 to around 20 the disparity in skill could be huge and it lead to exciting, massive KO's. Ronda had this going for her as well when wmma was brand new to zuffa

anything with teh diva brothers is all hype

It might be fun for a minute but it's just the trend for legends to cash out and it will be spectacularly anticlimactic as they all are

Everyone knows it’s just a nostalgia fight for the hardcores with no real bearing on current rankings. You all need to learn to just take this shit as it comes, because it’s not often we get fights like these.

If the fight ends up being a banger, then great. If it’s a dud, then oh well shit happens.

Back