Is conor done?

dustin probably will beat conor again so it begs the q = is conor done being a competitive top 5 contender?
i know ufc fed him suited fighters during his run, but even all the haters prolly would respect his stand-up skills and his timing with his shots. we all seen chuck, anderson go away due to age and damage over the years etc. but guys like hendricks, pettis have all fallen off hard once they started to lose and never became a real contender afterwards.
Obviously, the UFC badly wants him to win this fight, but by choosing to have him rematch Dustin, they're making a big gamble and putting his back against the wall, and their own back as well in a way (because Conrat is their main cash cow).

If he loses, it's two losses in a row for him, both against the same guy, who also happens to be the only LW fighter within the current top 10 that he has fought. Oh, and his UFC LW record becomes a "stellar" 1-3. It becomes a daunting task for the UFC to make their hype job even the slightest bit believable then.

I think Conor retires from MMA if he loses this fight. Seriously. He won't go back to 145, and when a guy's been sold to the masses as this major draw and super talented, once-in-a-lifetime athlete, and he can't crack the top 10 anymore or get a credible win, I think it's an obvious sign that the sport has passed him by.

And as someone else mentioned, if I had to take a guess, after that second loss to Poirier, I'd say he then occasionally fights YouTubers in nonsensical matchups to make a decent payday.

Obviously, the UFC badly wants him to win this fight, but by choosing to have him rematch Dustin, they're making a big gamble and putting his back against the wall, and their own back as well in a way (because Conrat is their main cash cow).

If he loses, it's two losses in a row for him, both against the same guy, who also happens to be the only LW fighter within the current top 10 that he has fought. Oh, and his UFC LW record becomes a "stellar" 1-3. It becomes a daunting task for the UFC to make their hype job even the slightest bit believable then.

I think Conor retires from MMA if he loses this fight. Seriously. He won't go back to 145, and when a guy's been sold to the masses as this major draw and super talented, once-in-a-lifetime athlete, and he can't crack the top 10 anymore or get a credible win, I think it's an obvious sign that the sport has passed him by.

And as someone else mentioned, if I had to take a guess, after that second loss to Poirier, I'd say he then occasionally fights YouTubers in nonsensical matchups to make a decent payday.

I'd say this is a pretty solid take. Only thing I would question is whether it would hurt his marketing. We live in the age of propaganda, so another highly edited highlight reel of McGregor could still bring in money. The casuals are what makes the UFC all that money off of Conor. As long as the guy can talk well they can sell tickets. Hell they want $50 for the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren fight. ....

In response to other posters in this thread I wouldn't count the guy out. I've never been a die hard McGregor fan, and have picked him to lose multiple times, the guy is talented. It comes down to how much hunger is in the guy. Is he really motivated after this? Is he really going to train like a mad man even though he has 100's of millions, a wife(maybe fiancee) and two kids. I hope it's a great fight. If Dustin wins it should be an instant title shot. McGregor is still top 10 in that division and if he stops him back to back that should get him a shot at the strap.

He'll never be done unless he wants to be...

Because he's such a character and such a draw.

Done in the sense of being legit top competition? Or one of the best?... Yeah. If he gets beat again. He'll at least be 'under Poirer' and his 'mind games' will look more significant as to his wins than ever.

But, we'll see.

A part of me thinks Poirer might win again...
Which is why this is so interesting... as Conor is so confident, and has come back before (Diaz 2), and come back in fights before (against Mendes), so if he loses again... I can't imagine what that would do to his mentality.

I'm hedging on him to win, due to his mindset and how he thinks of himself and how deep he takes this shit, and now he's experienced current Dustin for two rounds, and those kicks...
But who knows. He could lose again. Let's see. This is what makes this shit interesting.

He has been done since he fought floyd lol guy is a mental midget now.

reality is that Conor caught Dustin with some big shots

he was able to survive, no guarantee that he does next time

I'd say this is a pretty solid take. Only thing I would question is whether it would hurt his marketing. We live in the age of propaganda, so another highly edited highlight reel of McGregor could still bring in money. The casuals are what makes the UFC all that money off of Conor. As long as the guy can talk well they can sell tickets. Hell they want $50 for the Jake Paul vs Ben Askren fight. ....

I think this is a good point, but this is the sport of MMA, and fighters are only as good as their last fight. When your last credible win was in 2016, I think there's so much that marketing or a well-edited highlight reel can compensate for. Even the casuals who love Conrat so much will probably realize that they're being sold a big glass of tap water with a few diluted drops of milk from a cash cow that has run empty a while ago. Trash talk in combat sports is a double-edged sword, because talking the talk can only help you gain traction if you've been consistently walking the walk. Conor's been a whole lot more quiet before his last few fights, and there's a reason for that. You'll notice that the amount of trash that he talks is always proportionate to the amount of success that he's been having prior to that fight. That's probably because he's not nearly as confident as he used to be, and this was such an incredibly important factor for him to win fights.

Regarding that Jake Paul vs Askren fight, they might be selling tickets at 50 bucks a piece, we still don't know how many of them they'll manage to sell.

In response to other posters in this thread I wouldn't count the guy out. I've never been a die hard McGregor fan, and have picked him to lose multiple times, the guy is talented. It comes down to how much hunger is in the guy. Is he really motivated after this? Is he really going to train like a mad man even though he has 100's of millions, a wife(maybe fiancee) and two kids. I hope it's a great fight. If Dustin wins it should be an instant title shot. McGregor is still top 10 in that division and if he stops him back to back that should get him a shot at the strap.

This is not about "counting him out", it's about looking at metrics, observable facts and making predictions without drinking the UFC's hype-flavoured Kool-Aid. He is talented, indeed. But I don't think hunger is all that matters, really. Again, that's putting him on a pedestal, as if the guy had absolutely no ceiling in what he can accomplish, he "just needs to be hungry again". I'm not sure about that. That's like saying that he's bigger than the sport of MMA or bigger than the LW division, and I think that's totally false.

He was an excellent 145er many years ago, but the move to 155 exposed that he has, like most fighters do, a ceiling, and there are superior athletes at 155. Right now, he's fighting for a spot in the top 10, and he's gotta go back to the drawing board, as a former opponent that he beat years ago just knocked him out, and beat him at his own game, where he once apparently reigned supreme. I think it's reasonable to consider this as a strong sign that the sport has passed him by. And I find it hard to sympathize with him in any way, because he wasted years of his prime with inactivity and doing all sorts of stupid shit. Plus, he's been given a tremendous amount of golden opportunities that most fighters can only dream about. And now he has yet another one here, as he is being granted an immediate rematch, so we'll see if he can make the most of it.

Last edited:
Conor is done as an elite fighter. He’ll lose this fight and then probably fight Jeremy Stephens after. Then maybe a Diaz trilogy. If he wins those two in a row then he’ll have some pull to get one last boxing payday.

I think this is a good point, but this is the sport of MMA, and fighters are only as good as their last fight. When your last credible win was in 2016, I think there's so much that marketing or a well-edited highlight reel can compensate for. Even the casuals who love Conrat so much will probably realize that they're being sold a big glass of tap water with a few diluted drops of milk from a cash cow that has run empty a while ago. Trash talk in combat sports is a double-edged sword, because talking the talk can only help you gain traction if you've been consistently walking the walk. Conor's been a whole lot more quiet before his last few fights, and there's a reason for that. You'll notice that the amount of trash that he talks is always proportionate to the amount of success that he's been having prior to that fight. That's probably because he's not nearly as confident as he used to be, and this was such an incredibly important factor for him to win fights.

Regarding that Jake Paul vs Askren fight, they might be selling tickets at 50 bucks a piece, we still don't know how many of them they'll manage to sell.

That's exactly the point. He hasn't had a good winning record yet has still been the most marketable fighter in the UFC. This is exactly my point, and you seem to be giving way too much credit to people that have provenly deserved none. Casual fans likely don't know his record they just see the marketing and think he's fun to watch.

This is not about "counting him out", it's about looking at metrics, observable facts and making predictions without drinking the UFC's hype-flavoured Kool-Aid. He is talented, indeed. But I don't think hunger is all that matters, really. Again, that's putting him on a pedestal, as if the guy had absolutely no ceiling in what he can accomplish, he "just needs to be hungry again". I'm not sure about that. That's like saying that he's bigger than the sport of MMA or bigger than the LW division, and I think that's totally false.

He was an excellent 145er many years ago, but the move to 155 exposed that he has, like most fighters do, a ceiling, and there are superior athletes at 155. Right now, he's fighting for a spot in the top 10, and he's gotta go back to the drawing board, as a former opponent that he beat years ago just knocked him out, and beat him at his own game, where he once apparently reigned supreme. I think it's reasonable to consider this as a strong sign that the sport has passed him by. And I find it hard to sympathize with him in any way, because he wasted years of his prime with inactivity and doing all sorts of stupid shit. Plus, he's been given a tremendous amount of golden opportunities that most fighters can only dream about. And now he has yet another one here, as he is being granted an immediate rematch, so we'll see if he can make the most of it.

Don't fucking put words I didn't say in quotation. I liked your original post but now you're just being fucking stupid. I didn't say "he just needs to be hungry again" as you quoted me, insinuating that a tiny desire in him and he just automatically wins. I was mentioning hunger with other corrections he must make to win this fight. You must have some fucking Conor delusion if you are completely counting him out. It's a fight and Conor is a top level guy. If you think there is now way he can catch Dustin you are a fool.

That's exactly the point. He hasn't had a good winning record yet has still been the most marketable fighter in the UFC. This is exactly my point, and you seem to be giving way too much credit to people that have provenly deserved none. Casual fans likely don't know his record they just see the marketing and think he's fun to watch.
I'm not giving them credit, I'm just noticing that there are a lot of these people, that's all. I get your point about marketability, but what I'm saying is, even in the eyes of casuals, he'll lose traction if he doesn't win fights. That's inevitable, not only because these casuals won't tune in a hundred times to watch a guy they got so hyped up for only to be disappointed once more, but also because you can see that Conor just isn't good at talking trash and doing all this marketing shit when he is not confident. And how can he be any confident if he just doesn't win fights when he faces credible opponents?

I watched Conor vs Khabib at one of my friend's place, alongside many other friends, all of which are casuals, and don't know much about MMA and wouldn't sit down to watch an MMA event unless GSP was fighting, or Conor, a few years back. Everybody was so convinced that Conor would win, and they couldn't even tell you why. The face they made when Khabib (a total unknown to them) landed that first takedown and started mauling Conor....lol. And guess what, nobody who was in that room and tuned in to watch the fights that night because it was marketed as a huge event due to Conor being on the card has watched another UFC event since. So yes, Conor was the reason why they tuned in, but once all the hype surrounding him was unveiled as a masquerade, it was clear that they would no longer believe it or get excited about him.

Don't fucking put words I didn't say in quotation. I liked your original post but now you're just being fucking stupid.

Take a deep breath, sit down, take a sip of water, and relax, pal. We're having a civilized discussion. I said he's talented, and said he was an excellent 145er as well. I'm not counting him out. You're the one putting words in my mouth there, mate.

I didn't say "he just needs to be hungry again" as you quoted me, insinuating that a tiny desire in him and he just automatically wins. I was mentioning hunger with other corrections he must make to win this fight.
I'm looking at your post right now, and I don't see "other corrections" being mentioned anywhere. You do mention "training like a madman", so I guess this probably implies making adjustments, but you got to admit that, on its face, your statement ("it comes down to how much hunger is in the guy") makes it sound along the same lines as those constant delusional excuses from Conrat fanboys who basically just won't admit that any of his losses might be due to his opponent actually being the better fighter. But hey, for sure he can make adjustments, and he better fucking do so, otherwise he's fucked.

You must have some fucking Conor delusion if you are completely counting him out. It's a fight and Conor is a top level guy. If you think there is now way he can catch Dustin you are a fool.
Again tell me where I said I'm counting him out, because I can't fucking find it.

I said this is NOT about "counting him out", that was my point. Looking at the LW record of the guy, the amount of time he stayed inactive, and how he looked in his last fight makes me believe that Dustin has more chances of winning this than Conor, because it seems like the sport has passed him by. That's all I said. I did not say Conor CAN'T win this fight. I'm just saying that, taking certain things into consideration leads me to predict that Dustin is more likely to win the third match.

I'm not giving them credit, I'm just noticing that there are a lot of these people, that's all. I get your point about marketability, but what I'm saying is, even in the eyes of casuals, he'll lose traction if he doesn't win fights. That's inevitable, not only because these casuals won't tune in a hundred times to watch a guy they got so hyped up for only to be disappointed once more, but also because you can see that Conor just isn't good at talking trash and doing all this marketing shit when he is not confident. And how can he be any confident if he just doesn't win fights when he faces credible opponents?

I watched Conor vs Khabib at one of my friend's place, alongside many other friends, all of which are casuals, and don't know much about MMA and wouldn't sit down to watch an MMA event unless GSP was fighting, or Conor, a few years back. Everybody was so convinced that Conor would win, and they couldn't even tell you why. The face they made when Khabib (a total unknown to them) landed that first takedown and started mauling Conor....lol. And guess what, nobody who was in that room and tuned in to watch the fights that night because it was marketed as a huge event due to Conor being on the card has watched another UFC event since. So yes, Conor was the reason why they tuned in, but once all the hype surrounding him was unveiled as a masquerade, it was clear that they would no longer believe it or get excited about him.

No, no you don't. While I have no reason to doubt your anecdotal story, it still doesn't disprove the history of people with losing records being able to sell big fights. That Jake Paul kid is fighting tonight, and his brother is 0-2 against Youtubers. If his winless brother fought again it would still sell really well. If people have massive social media presences they can sell a lot of tickets/PPVs. That's the world and culture we live in whether your casual friends will watch a McGregor fight again or not. Saku lost a lot of fights at one point, Mark Hunt was 50/50, Cabage was fun to watch to see him lose while taking tons of damage. Records aren't the main marketing measure these days. This isn't boxing where almost everyone if fluffing their records early in their career. Also if you friends thought a 27-0(or whatever Khabib was at the time of that fight) Russian sambo/ UFC champion had no chance after you told them otherwise as a viewer of MMA, then they just don't have critical reasoning skills.

Take a deep breath, sit down, take a sip of water, and relax, pal. We're having a civilized discussion. I said he's talented, and said he was an excellent 145er as well. I'm not counting him out. You're the one putting words in my mouth there, mate.

I'm plenty calm I just don't like liars, and that's exactly what you did when you put quotations around words I didn't say. I said plenty that you apparently disagreed with so you could have just quoted that.

Again tell me where I said I'm counting him out, because I can't fucking find it.

I said this is NOT about "counting him out", that was my point. Looking at the LW record of the guy, the amount of time he stayed inactive, and how he looked in his last fight makes me believe that Dustin has more chances of winning this than Conor, because it seems like the sport has passed him by. That's all I said. I did not say Conor CAN'T win this fight. I'm just saying that, taking certain things into consideration leads me to predict that Dustin is more likely to win the third match.
Honestly, I think Conor is fucked. I think Dustin blocks those kicks, remains patient, chops those legs patiently and circles away, avoids the counters, and waits until Conrat gets slower and loses the snap in his punches.

Back