Is Cheick Kongo a top 10 HW of all time?

He's between Top 50 and 45.
Wtf, name 45 HWs higher than Kongo...

You gonna list Bobby Hoffman? Stefan Struve?

HW is, and has always been, thin. Kongo is top 20... 25 at the least.

Fedor, Igor, Barnett, Lesnar (off accolades, I guess), Cain, Hunt, Nelson, Sylvia (again, accolades), Mir, Nog, Aleks, Stipe, Werdum, DC, Cro Cop, Randleman... I mean we can do a few more after that, but it's pretty thin.

Really? The guy looks like a God & when smashing prelim guys gives the impression that he's a killer but he just hasn't got it in him to defeat anyone near the top of the division.

Look through his record & pick out his best wins? Volkov. Mitrione. Crocop, who everyone knows struggled in the UFC. That's it. Every other top guy he faced, he lost.
Indeed but he's a solid fighter in impressive shape at this age and years of fighting

Yea top 10 worst TDD of all time.

Fedor, Igor, Barnett, Lesnar (off accolades, I guess), Cain, Hunt, Nelson, Sylvia (again, accolades), Mir, Nog, Aleks, Stipe, Werdum, DC, Cro Cop, Randleman... I mean we can do a few more after that, but it's pretty thin.

Here's 35. I might be able to think of another 10.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-heavyweight/

Additional 10+

1.Sergei K
2.Aleks E
3.Randleman
4. Gonzaga
5. Rothwell
6. Nelson
7. Herring
8. Ngannou
9. Blaydes
10. Lewis
11. Browne
12. Struve

Last edited:

Easy... we'll shave off Ricco, Bigfoot, Kerr, Lewis, Royce (lol), Schilt, Funaki, Frye, Browne, and Taktarov.

Rizzo, Ngannou, and Carwin are borderline.

You can't tell me that all those fighters on those lists are better fighters p4p, or would match up and beat Kongo the majority of the time?

Also, Igor at #35?

source.gif

Easy... we'll shave off Ricco, Bigfoot, Kerr, Lewis, Royce (lol), Schilt, Funaki, Frye, Browne, and Taktarov.

Rizzo, Ngannou, and Carwin are borderline.

You can't tell me that all those fighters on those lists are better fighters p4p, or would match up and beat Kongo the majority of the time?

Also, Igor at #35?

source.gif

Look at my post again, I was adding a bunch of names that weren't on that list and I think I might be able to go up to 20+ that aren't on the fightmatrix list. I do agree there are some on that fightmatrix list I wouldn't put above him but i'm pretty sure I could still list 45 better HWs all time than Kongo. There's been a lot more good HWs than you think.

Nah. Like top 30ish maybe if I had to wager a guess. But he never really had any super significant wins that would propel him into that category. Cro Cop was already proving to be shopworn and had already had his head kicked off by gonzaga by the time he kneed him in the balls repeatedly to snag a decision. Other than him he lost most of his other truly big tests. It's not to say the guy hasn't had a great career with some crazy longevity, just not a true top guy.

Look at my post again, I was adding a bunch of names that weren't on that list and I think I might be able to go up to 20+ that aren't on the fightmatrix list. I do agree there are some on that fightmatrix list I wouldn't put above him but i'm pretty sure I could still list 45 better HWs all time than Kongo. There's been a lot more good HWs than you think.

EDIT: hold on you're editing your posts

Here's 35. I might be able to think of another 10.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-heavyweight/

Additional 10+

1.Sergei K
2.Aleks E
3.Randleman
4. Gonzaga
5. Rothwell
6. Nelson
7. Herring
8. Ngannou
9. Blaydes
10. Lewis
11. Browne
12. Struve

Ngannou, Browne and Lewis are already on the list.

Herring? Struve? Not to mention the aforementioned 10+ I said should be scratched off that FightMatrix list?

We'll have to agree to disagree if you think all those guys are ahead of Kongo, I think that's all there is to it.

1. Fedor
  2. Cain
  3. JDS
  4. Igor
  5. Overeem
  6. Stipe
  7. DC
  8. Ngannou
  9. Couture
  10. Barnett
  11. Minotauro
  12. Hunt
  13. Mir
  14. Werdum
  15. Cro Cop
  16. Lesnar
  17. Carwin
  18. Jairzinho
  19. Lewis
  20. Kharitonov
  21. Ivel
  22. Gonzaga
  23. Struve
  24. Nelson
  25. Herring
  26. Blaydes
  27. Rutten
  28. Minowaman
  29. Aleks Emilianenko
  30. Arlovski
  31. Big Foot
  32. Ricco Rodriguez
  33. Pedro Rizzo
  34. Rothwell
  35. Hoffman
  36. Sylvia
  37. Kerr
  38. Frye
  39. F. Shamrock
  40. Coleman
  41. Severn
  42. Kongo

Ngannou, Browne and Lewis are already on the list.

Herring? Struve? Not to mention the aforementioned 10+ I said should be scratched off that FightMatrix list?

We'll have to agree to disagree if you think all those guys are ahead of Kongo, I think that's all there is to it.

You're right I missed those 3, I was trying to put the list together quickly.

Herring and Struve have more top ranked wins than Kongo does.

Some of those guys you want to take off the list have more top ranked wins than Kongo does.

Ricco, Bigfoot, Lewis, Schilt, and Browne all have more top ranked wins.

1. Fedor
  2. Cain
  3. JDS
  4. Igor
  5. Overeem
  6. Stipe
  7. DC
  8. Ngannou
  9. Couture
  10. Barnett
  11. Minotauro
  12. Hunt
  13. Mir
  14. Werdum
  15. Cro Cop
  16. Lesnar
  17. Carwin
  18. Jairzinho
  19. Lewis
  20. Kharitonov
  21. Ivel
  22. Gonzaga
  23. Struve
  24. Nelson
  25. Herring
  26. Blaydes
  27. Rutten
  28. Minowaman
  29. Aleks Emilianenko
  30. Arlovski
  31. Big Foot
  32. Ricco Rodriguez
  33. Pedro Rizzo
  34. Rothwell
  35. Hoffman
  36. Sylvia
  37. Kerr
  38. Frye
  39. F. Shamrock
  40. Coleman
  41. Severn
  42. Kongo

I think top 38-50ish range is fair all time for Kong.

1. Fedor
  2. Cain
  3. JDS
  4. Igor
  5. Overeem
  6. Stipe
  7. DC
  8. Ngannou
  9. Couture
  10. Barnett
  11. Minotauro
  12. Hunt
  13. Mir
  14. Werdum
  15. Cro Cop
  16. Lesnar
  17. Carwin
  18. Jairzinho
  19. Lewis
  20. Kharitonov
  21. Ivel
  22. Gonzaga
  23. Struve
  24. Nelson
  25. Herring
  26. Blaydes
  27. Rutten
  28. Minowaman
  29. Aleks Emilianenko
  30. Arlovski
  31. Big Foot
  32. Ricco Rodriguez
  33. Pedro Rizzo
  34. Rothwell
  35. Hoffman
  36. Sylvia
  37. Kerr
  38. Frye
  39. F. Shamrock
  40. Coleman
  41. Severn
  42. Kongo

First off, impressive of you to type that out. You've definitely watched some HW MMA and are putting out a good reply.

That being said... no, just no. Ikuhisa Minowa? Frank Shamrock? Lol.

It's really a crapshoot tbh, I'd put him between Sergei and Arlovski on your list. Overall, the bottom half of that list is pretty sad in terms of HW 'greatness'.

Yes, those are the exact sloppy and rare Vovchanchyn submissions I was referring to. Thank you for dredging them up- Not so much evidence that he is "well-rounded" or "multi-dimensional", but rather that even "mono-dimensional" fighters can have *some* ground game. Kongo is a striker. Vovchanchyn is a striker (although I don't even like comparing them because Vovchanchyn was miles more assertive everywhere than Chieck). Chieck's problem (hee hee, from a fan's point of view, not according to his "W" column) is that he depends almost solely on his striking, and is not aggressive, so ends up *looking* like a one-dimensional fighter. . . who's boring. I guess I'm not parsing the difference between a multi-skilled person who doesn't utilize all their skills and a singularly-skilled person- same outcome.
I will admit, however, that I always root to see Cheick drubbed anywhichway, so I've been bitter for awhile.

hmmm...the problem here is that you´re overlooking the Fight Configuration of those fights.
This heel hook & that armbar: what was the Fight Configuration?

Last edited:
First off, impressive of you to type that out. You've definitely watched some HW MMA and are putting out a good reply.

That being said... no, just no. Ikuhisa Minowa? Frank Shamrock? Lol.

It's really a crapshoot tbh, I'd put him between Sergei and Arlovski on your list. Overall, the bottom half of that list is pretty sad in terms of HW 'greatness'.

I actually don't put the names in order of what would be to me the Top 50 or something. I just typed as the names came to my mind.
Now, talking about greatness, Indeed I find quite better Minowaman and Shamrock above Kongo, (that's what this list is all about). Maybe in an actual fight between them (Kongo vs Minowa) the result could go either way. Kongo would had won in a cage and Minowa would beat him in the ring. Shamrock is greater than him for obvious reasons: He's actually a pioneer of the sport and hold gold at some moment.

Back