Is Cheick Kongo a top 10 HW of all time?

TheMadHatter

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hypothetically lets remove any HW that has failed a drug test since Kongo never has and I know some people will say failing a drug test should take you off of an all time greats list. In doing so would this rank Kongo in your top 10 HW of all time? I believe he would be top 10 if this were the case. He is now 44 and has had a hell of a career after his UFC run. A nice chunk of his losses are split decisions too.

USATSI_10832907-1024x729.jpg

Clean testing, dirty fighting.

Would be undefeated if groin strikes were legal.

Luv me some Kongo,
Underated AF.

But HELL NO.

Fightmatrix doesn't have him top35 all time, so I think the answer is no even if you ignore all HWs that have failed at least one test. He might not even be top20.

Ps.He is a borderline top5 GOAT black HW, though, since black HWs historically haven't done that great in MMA.

Hypothetically lets remove any HW that has failed a drug test since Kongo never has and I know some people will say failing a drug test should take you off of an all time greats list. In doing so would this rank Kongo in your top 10 HW of all time? I believe he would be top 10 if this were the case. He is now 44 and has had a hell of a career after his UFC run. A nice chunk of his losses are split decisions too.

USATSI_10832907-1024x729.jpg
Didn't he get fucked up on the feet by Frank Mir of all people?
Hell no he's not. He was barely UFC Caliber.
He's also juiced to the tits, whether he's failed a test or not.

Kongo a top 10 HW?

LOL no.

I wouldn't have him top 25.

The Darkness almost KOd prime Cain multiple times

just off the top of my head guys I would rank ahead of him that have failed drug tests are overeem, jds, cro cop, barnett and frank mir. It would be safe to say mark coleman as well due to admitted PED use. It looks like some sites have him ranked close to the current top 10.

edit: forgot about werdum

http://rankingmma.com/mma-world-rankings/heavyweight/

Last edited:
I dig Kongo but no. Would be fun to see him back for one last run in the UFC though. I believe the HW division was sharper when he left it back in the days

not anymore... maybe back when Couture was HW champ...

He gave one of the most underrated post fight rants when he was so exhausted, and said the ufc wayzte heez tyme, he wanted teetal shot. I think that was the fight before the Mur fight.

Man was I disappointed when Mir floored him.

Ps I think prime Kongo could have (maybe easily?) taken out prime Couture (fite me)

He is a much more well rounded version of Ngannou, has way better wrestling and kicks.

No, he's also 100% juiced
i would say he doesnt pass the eye test, and wouldnt be the least bit surprised to hear he does juice. but he claims natural and there are some genetic freaks out there. the way his body has aged too is very believable. he has gained more and more fat as he has aged. Im not calling him natural but lets say he hypothetically is. where would he rank among other "natural HWs?"

Back