Is Chael really THAT fearless?

I'd say it's 50% guts and 50% smart business sense.

i agree. chael knows how to play his cards to maximize his pockets, but taking on bones on short notice and now vitor short notice takes balls no doubt.

he should've never fought at lhw. he did great when he returned to the ufc and fought at mw losing to only maia and silva, while beating undefeated miller, beat ranked okami, nate, stann, bisping, so he is very good at mw. Still i feel vitor is going to ko him

Bisping shoulda won that fight. Crooked judging.

You know he broke a rib in the first round of a fight that went three rounds, you can see the damage here, and he didn't quit.

chaelsonnen.jpg

Have you ever known him to back out of a fight because he was sick or injured? Nope, because he fights injured, he is like the honey badger.

So? He's tough and I've never called him scared/pussy like some people seem to think (not you). Now, if Chael got the Cigano treatment he would be tapping/turtling in the first round like he did against Evans and Jones. Broken rib hurts but for tough guy like Chael it's not major damage. This is the difference. To me Cigano shows much more bravery by being raped for 10 rounds WITHOUT quitting despite being dropped, dominated and beaten, and he still wants his rematch.
Chael ain't pussy, he just isn't as brave or fearless as some people claim.

I respect that Chael isn't ducking guys, and I by no means would call him coward. But as this has been said I also need to say that I don't buy the claim that he is the most courageous fighter, or one of them, around.
The reasons why he fights anyone anytime is for these two reasons:
a) He has never had great legacy, aura or win streak. He has good legacy with good performances and his 3 fight win streak in the UFC etc. have been good but he has never had anything to guard. He has never amazed anyone, he was undefeated only for his first 6 fights against nobodies, he lost his UFC debut and he has always been "that other guy" by his credentials. He has been defeated 14 times and finished 13 times. He's like the greatest journeyman/gatekeeper in history and has reached contender status many times too, but he's always been the guy who comes there to compete and doesn't really seem to care that much whether he wins or loses.
b) He turtles up when it goes bad for him. I would probably too instead of taking meaningless damage. Doesn't change the fact that he knows that he either wins or loses without much damage. Not very scary for pro fight veteran! Even after being finished he looks like he was having sparring instead of title fight.

This is not fighter bashing, I just don't think he is most fearless guy around. If he had legacy like Mayweather or if he always fought till' the end like Cigano and he was still willing to fight anybody up to HW on 3 days notice while injured, I would understand the hype. He just doesn't have anything to guard and he gets props just by showing up against anybody even when losing. Win-win situation.

InB4 angry Shael fans crying or angry moderators Wastlanding this bish.

No. He does it for money.

i agree. chael knows how to play his cards to maximize his pockets, but taking on bones on short notice and now vitor short notice takes balls no doubt.

If I was pro with nothing to lose, I could fight either guy for that kind of money and turtle up. Win-win for Chael because he never gets cut, he doesn't have same drive to be unbeaten or champion like some guys and if he loses, he loses without much damage and still gets much money to buy some nice jewelry for his beautiful wife.

I think he's taken beatings and realized it's not the end of the world. The money he makes as Zuffa's go to headliner, however, will last him quite a while in retirement. It's a no-brainer.

If I was pro with nothing to lose, I could fight either guy for that kind of money and turtle up. Win-win for Chael because he never gets cut, he doesn't have same drive to be unbeaten or champion like some guys and if he loses, he loses without much damage and still gets much money to buy some nice jewelry for his beautiful wife.

exactly, he knows how to play his cards perfectly.

Jesus you have ridiculously high standards to consider someone fearless. Sonnen is the most fearless fighter in the UFC...he fought Anderson twice, stepped up to fight Jones on a week's notice, wanted to fight DC when Rashad pulled out, etc. He fears no man.

Also, how the fuck does having a lasting legacy or aura about him equate to him being fearless? You can be completely unafraid of everyone and still lose fights.

He is a fighter. Why should he be afraid of fighting, specially when a title shot is the reward?

no, he is just smart. $$$$$$ all that matter win or lose.

He fears no money coming his way.
The Vitor fight would happen at some point, but I do give him credit for taking a much harder fight.

Chael Sonnen is the epitome of the term 'fighter'.

I respect that Chael isn't ducking guys, and I by no means would call him coward. But as this has been said I also need to say that I don't buy the claim that he is the most courageous fighter, or one of them, around.
The reasons why he fights anyone anytime is for these two reasons:
a) He has never had great legacy, aura or win streak. He has good legacy with good performances and his 3 fight win streak in the UFC etc. have been good but he has never had anything to guard. He has never amazed anyone, he was undefeated only for his first 6 fights against nobodies, he lost his UFC debut and he has always been "that other guy" by his credentials. He has been defeated 14 times and finished 13 times. He's like the greatest journeyman/gatekeeper in history and has reached contender status many times too, but he's always been the guy who comes there to compete and doesn't really seem to care that much whether he wins or loses.
b) He turtles up when it goes bad for him. I would probably too instead of taking meaningless damage. Doesn't change the fact that he knows that he either wins or loses without much damage. Not very scary for pro fight veteran! Even after being finished he looks like he was having sparring instead of title fight.

This is not fighter bashing, I just don't think he is most fearless guy around. If he had legacy like Mayweather or if he always fought till' the end like Cigano and he was still willing to fight anybody up to HW on 3 days notice while injured, I would understand the hype. He just doesn't have anything to guard and he gets props just by showing up against anybody even when losing. Win-win situation.

InB4 angry Shael fans crying or angry moderators Wastlanding this bish.

Not really.

It would be like calling a crack whore who sleeps around alot "attractive".

Any smart UFC fighter who likes money and job stability would do exactly what Sonnen is doing.

So I agree - Chael is not necessarily "fearless" per se, he's simply a fighter.

Except many don't. Rarely do you see fighters step up as consistently as Chael - not just in his own weight class but taking on the monsters in the class above.

They don't call him the American Gangster for nothing.

Except many don't. Rarely do you see fighters step up as consistently as Chael - not just in his own weight class but taking on the monsters in the class above.

They don't call him the American Gangster for nothing.

You're a fool if you think low level guys would turn down a shot at the title.

Chael isn't contending for anything, so free ts is better than slow descend to irrelevancy.

Empty words.

its not like the guy comes in and fakes getting injured or something. He tries his best. Its just he isn't that good at 205. And saying its easy to go into the ring with Jones or some of these guys and just "turtle" up, well its not. These guys can seriously hurt you all it takes is a well placed shot on the chin to brake it, a well placed elbow to seriously fuck up your eyes etc. etc.

So let's please stop acting like Chael is doing something anybody could do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back