Is Chael really THAT fearless?

Are you seriously comparing training with a better fighter to serious, full contact competition where you will risk getting hurt badly? Not to mention the different thing about getting beaten up in practice (happens to everyone) to going out and taking a career risk with a loss in front of millions of eyes. There's so much more to it than just getting beaten up.

Like many have clearly shown, career wise and imago wise Chael had nothing to lose.
I would never compare some sparring beating to the way Cigano got beaten up or the way Weidman beat Munoz and I would never compare the career/imago risk of sparring session with Miocic taking a fight with Maldonado or Shlemenko taking on Ortiz.
But Jones-Chael was a fight where Chael had nothing to lose besides his health and he handled that risk by turtling up.
Damn, I pretty clearly stated that the beating Chael took was much more than sparring session of mine but Chael is a freaking pro fighter, I am not. So subjectively the beating was pretty similar.
I'm a fuckking anonymous Sherdog pussy who doesn't get paid, Chael is pro athlete who probably got close to million. Of course he takes bigger beatings but it doesn't mean he's super brave or fearless, it just means he's much higher level fighter, physically superior to me and much tougher.

Yes. He was beating the shit out of me while he probably was going half speed. Probably not even half, maybe like 15%. 5 minutes and 45 seconds of beating after gassing feels like shit even if the opponent wasn't going heavy. Leaving with lips tasting like blood, head feeling dizzy, cut on forehead, almost puking from body shots, unable to stand from exhaustion, hurt shoulder and bruised eye corner is probably not that far from getting hell bows for good 15-20 repetitions when turtling up for a vet like Chael.
Sure, I prefer the beating I got in the ring to being grounded by Jones but I'm not professional 205 pounder who is training professionally everyday to fight and gets paid very much for it.

If somebody is insane, it's you. But I don't think you are insane either.

But by the time you get to the level you can do that, you've gotten you're ass kicked the way you described for years, even worse. You're acting like Chael is some guy off the street who's trained for a year and now is making money basically taking dives. Let's not forget that Chael is the guy who beat on AS (who's considered GOAT) for 5 rounds and basically gave him the biggest beating of his career until Weidman, he beat Shogun and a couple of other guys at MW without much problem. You cannot compare that at all to getting your ass kicked at fucking amateur boxing. Not to mention that competition where guys go really hard, especially since its the title of the most important belt in the sport on the line.

I'd say it would be even easier for you to take that fight since if you got a carrer ending injury you wouldn't care, since its not your job. These guys do it for a living, you bet your ass they try to be careful.

Like many have clearly shown, career wise and imago wise Chael had nothing to lose.
I would never compare some sparring beating to the way Cigano got beaten up or the way Weidman beat Munoz and I would never compare the career/imago risk of sparring session with Miocic taking a fight with Maldonado or Shlemenko taking on Ortiz.
But Jones-Chael was a fight where Chael had nothing to lose besides his health and he handled that risk by turtling up.
Damn, I pretty clearly stated that the beating Chael took was much more than sparring session of mine but Chael is a freaking pro fighter, I am not. So subjectively the beating was pretty similar.
I'm a fuckking anonymous Sherdog pussy who doesn't get paid, Chael is pro athlete who probably got close to million. Of course he takes bigger beatings but it doesn't mean he's super brave or fearless, it just means he's much higher level fighter, physically superior to me and much tougher.

Just curious, is there anyone in the UFC that you would consider 'more fearless' than most everyone else?

No.

He knows he will get beat by the better fighters, and turtles soon afterwards and collects a check.

It's not brave when you know you will lose to collect a pay check.

But by the time you get to the level you can do that, you've gotten you're ass kicked the way you described for years, even worse. You're acting like Chael is some guy off the street who's trained for a year and now is making money basically taking dives. Let's not forget that Chael is the guy who beat on AS (who's considered GOAT) for 5 rounds and basically gave him the biggest beating of his career until Weidman, he beat Shogun and a couple of other guys at MW without much problem. You cannot compare that at all to getting your ass kicked at fucking amateur boxing. Not to mention that competition where guys go really hard, especially since its the title of the most important belt in the sport on the line.
I'd say it would be even easier for you to take that fight since if you got a carrer ending injury you wouldn't care, since its not your job. These guys do it for a living, you bet your ass they try to be careful.
I'm not acting like he is some dude from the streets. I have given so many props to the guy in this very thread and said so many times that my beatings weren't that bad, that I don't really bother to say it anymore. Chael's a tough man, I just feel his bravery is overrated.

Just curious, is there anyone in the UFC that you would consider 'more fearless' than most everyone else?
I can name few guys from the top of my head. First is Rocky Balboa. Ivan Drago literally killed his friend and he still fought him in Russia...
But for real, I think Cigano shows more bravery when he refused to quit when getting beaten (I would have quit for the sake of my health and I think the team of JDS did very stupid by letting him fight) in the first fight, then came back to win the title with improved skill set, got same treatment and still wants that rematch. Varner is not getting playboy money but he still came to brawl with Trujillo, fought with broken ankle for 5 minutes and probably comes back to beat some ass once again. Arlovski got brutally KO'd 3 times and still faced Bigfoot, then he got back in the game and didn't duck hard hitters despite hearing how he's a glass jaw and how people wanted him to retire. Then he gets his jaw shattered against ARJ, still fights a good fight, bounces back after loss and fights his way back to the UFC.
To be honest, I think Cormier showed more bravery by taking his 205 debut against coffee maker who was still good fighter. It's huge lose/lose situation. What about Hendo? Dude has fought almost always against bigger guys, never turtled up to wait the ref and he even came there to beat Fedor. He got dropped bad (where I think Chael would have turtled up) and still KO'd Fedor. Outside of the UFC there was Shlemenko with bad ground game who called Tito out (Tito had weapons to beat him, huge size difference and terrible record recently while Shlemenko was champion in winning streak). To me that takes much more balls than anything Chael did. Then outside of MMA, Rocky Marciano.
T-Rex arms, much smaller than his opponents and still went there to face the best guys of his time despite being undefeated. Dude got huge cut or dropped and kept fighting like nothing had happened. To me that takes more bravery than anything Chael has done.

These were just few.

No, it's not comparable at all. I've competed in full contact martial arts at a pretty high level (not as high as that though) and what you talk about isn't even close to what I've done (I've been the rookie getting beaten up too), let alone what he did.

Before you've tried yourself at a level you don't know how you will react there. For example, there's a reason why they talk about UFC jitters. It's not untested amateurs that reach the UFC, but it's a new level of everything and it makes many much more nervous than before. There's a lot of strain both physically and mentally to fight.

That you in your latest post said that Schlemenko vs Tito is completely different than Chael vs Jones made me laugh out loud. I guess it goes on the same level as your comparisons.

That you in your latest post said that Schlemenko vs Tito is completely different than Chael vs Jones made me laugh out loud. I guess it goes on the same level as your comparisons.

Tell me how it was riskier for Chael to fight Jones than it was for Shlemenko to fight Tito?

He was willing to take Jones on a weeks notice. That takes ball.

If you were physically able to make weight, who wouldn't take that chance?

It's a free, unearned title shot. If you lose, oh well you stepped up to fight the champ on a week notice.

If you win you're champ.

If you were physically able to make weight, who wouldn't take that chance?

It's a free, unearned title shot. If you lose, oh well you stepped up to fight the champ on a week notice.

If you win you're champ.

Exactly, hard to see how there is so much disagreement about this. Hellbows probably hurt like hell but you can take some of those if you train everyday professionally.

why does it take balls? He has nothing to lose. Having a title fight on his resume is already a victory for him.

fighting is not all about wins/losses, some guys show they have the balls to step up to fight anyone and anytime. Keep in mind that chael was not nowhere close to being in fighting shape, jones was, jones had a full training camp and was ready to peak and still backed down. Jones had every advantage on his side too, but chael did not care, chael would've fought anyways. That takes balls.

fighting is not all about wins/losses, some guys show they have the balls to step up to fight anyone and anytime. Keep in mind that chael was not nowhere close to being in fighting shape, jones was, jones had a full training camp and was ready to peak and still backed down. Jones had every advantage on his side too, but chael did not care, chael would've fought anyways. That takes balls.

The reason was that Jones had everything to lose, Chael had nothing to lose.
Why wouldn't he fight? His fight with Jones and Evans both showed he could never get the title shot in LHW by performances so why not make the money as he clearly isn't that bothered by losing.

The reason was that Jones had everything to lose, Chael had nothing to lose.
Why wouldn't he fight? His fight with Jones and Evans both showed he could never get the title shot in LHW by performances so why not make the money as he clearly isn't that bothered by losing.

jones had everything to lose, but he also had every advantage on his side too, which trumps the everything to lose part.

that fight could not have been any easier for jones, yet he refused to man up, and took his ball and went home.

he has a fearless mind but not a fearless heart. the Vitor fight is interesting because they both have similar flaws and hold each others' krpytonight (Vitor gives up when the wrestling gets tough; Chael gives up when there are too many fists to his face).

jones had everything to lose, but he also had every advantage on his side too, which trumps the everything to lose part.

that fight could not be any easier for jones, yet he refused to man up, and took his ball and went home.

Yes! He was unbrave in that sense and I was like "What, he turned that fight down?" but he still had reasons to while Chael had nothing to lose, even when he [Jones] had every advantage.

he has a fearless mind but not a fearless heart. the Vitor fight is interesting because they both have similar flaws and hold each others' krpytonight (Vitor gives up when the wrestling gets tough; Chael gives up when there are too many fists to his face).

True! Andre Xiong is now my favorite fighter.

His fight with Jones and Evans both showed he could never get the title shot in LHW by performances so why not make the money as he clearly isn't that bothered by losing.

Im not a giant Chael fan but let's not judge his LHW run by fights against Jon Jones and perrennial top 8 LHW and former LHW champion Rashad Evans. Those were some stiff opponents. Chael held his own against Shogun, another former LHW champion. I think Chael can rack up some wins against lesser LHWs but he's right in taking only the big fights.

He was willing to take Jones on a weeks notice. That takes ball.

It takes no more balls than any fighter who enters the cage. He was in a situation where he had nothing to lose and everything to gain

that fight could not have been any easier for jones, yet he refused to man up, and took his ball and went home.

He fought 3 weeks later, why are people still bitching about this

I look forward to Chael Sonnen stepping up to fight JDS and proving his bravery.

Im not a giant Chael fan but let's not judge his LHW run by fights against Jon Jones and perrennial top 8 LHW and former LHW champion Rashad Evans. Those were some stiff opponents. Chael held his own against Shogun, another former LHW champion. I think Chael can rack up some wins against lesser LHWs but he's right in taking only the big fights.

But I just said he could never get legit title shot at 205 and those two fights showed it clearly. Teixeira, Gus, Cormier, Evans, Johnson, Davis, he would lose to everyone of these. He might pull the upset against Smeetor with his wrestling though.

Back