Is Chael good enough to take down Weidman?

Rashad (arguably the #2 or #3 LHW in the world) would problably do the same to Weidman, there is a reason Weidman fights at 185lbs. Size matters.

Sonnen left 185lbs as the #2 Middleweight in the world. Age and TRT-less may show a diffrent Sonnen from the past, but to discredit his achievements is down right ignorant.

It's a 2 man sport, anything is possible. If rankings mattered, no one would fight. Just give the #1 ranked guy the belt and everyone go home.

They fight for a reason. If Sonnen fought Weidman, would he win? I'm not sure, can he win? Absoloutly. Stylistically Sonnen is at a disadvantage. He does have his strenghts though, and if he can impose them I dont see why he cant win.

People who give guys no chance to win and then are shocked when it happens are guys who don't understand what it means to compete. These guys are competitors, TJ Dillashaw is a competitor and he came to compete and beat Barrao. Anything less, he wouldn't of beaten barrao. Sonnen is a game competitor, I believe he has the chance to win. Will he? Well thats why fighters fight, to find out.

While I think Weidman is a terrible terrible match up for Sonnen, and I don't think Rshad would do the same to Chris. This is a very good post, read it.

While I think Weidman is a terrible terrible match up for Sonnen, and I don't think Rshad would do the same to Chris. This is a very good post, read it.

Yeah, now thinking of it Weidman would have fared better, he has more tools to win a fight than Sonnen. Rashad has a history of going down in fights where he fights someone that hits hard, but he has a good recovery rate and still has the wrestling and size too take Weidmans other advantages away.

I believe Chael Sonnen stylistically has a big opportunity to derail Vitor Belfort. Vitor has struggled against guys with Iron jaws, who will wear on him and Wrestle him down. Good examples are Dan Henderson and Randy Couture, who have been teammates with Sonnen. The biggest factor will be the lack of TRT for both fighters.

I believe Sonnen has been given a Golden Opportunity, and there's a real possibility we may see him in a title fight against Weidman should he get past Vitor. Then we may find out wether he can takedown Weidman or not.

His wrestling is his remote chance at earning a win over Weidman imo but Weidmans tdd is probably good enough to stuff the takedowns. Am I right, Sherdog?

Chael doesn't match up well to Weidman. I feel it goes very similar to the Rashad bout.

Chael has shown he can fight 5 rounds hard. Weidman gassed hard in the Silva I fight by round 2. Haven't seen Weidman go the distance, and Sonnen has an Iron chin. I dont think Weidman can KO or submit Sonnen, but I have a feeling Sonnen is the more experienced fighter who can pace himself for 5 rounds.

I think Sonnen can take Weidman into deep waters and make him very uncomfortable. Sonnen will regain what was one of his strenghts in the middleweight division, and that is size.

LOL @ Weidman gassing hard. Didnt have much zip on that left hand at all.

Actually I think that victory lap, raising his arm, holding all that gold tired him out more than anything. A Silva looked way more tired that The Chris did, sleeping on the mat like that.

Chael P Sonnen can take ANYONE down. Can he finish The Chris and/or keep him down? I kinda doubt it. This will be the best fight that never happens.

It would look like Rashad vs Chael maybe even worse.

People get distracted by Chaels mouth, and underestimate him. At 185 he is a top contender, he needs size to impose his will, and at middleweight he has that. It would be a 5 round war against Weidman. He can take him down, but I believe Weidman can take Chael down also. Would be a great fight. I think he takes a decision against Vitor to get the shot.

5 round war lmfao you must be on crack

More like is he good enough not to get TKO'd or subbed in the attempt of relentlessly trying to take down Weidman...

Nah.

delusional as LMAO

Chael lost by 5 times by knockout and 8 times by submission.
he got armbar by Silva and choke by Maia who has worst BBJ than Weidman.

Haha buddy you need to look at the meaning of KO chael has lost by TKO only he has never been Ko'd .

Sadly, no. Of the 4 guys currently in the mix for the title right now (Weidman, Machida, Belfort, and Sonnen), Chael matches up the worst against Weidman.

I think Sonnen beats Belfort handily (flame away), and probably struggles with Machida. Even still, Chael beats Machida before he beats Weidman. Weidman will neutralize Chael's takedowns and batter him standing.

Back