Is Chael good enough to take down Weidman?

JoeHoganKush**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His wrestling is his remote chance at earning a win over Weidman imo but Weidmans tdd is probably good enough to stuff the takedowns. Am I right, Sherdog?

Chael has a lot of problems against high level offensive wrestlers. Especially ones with great top control/submission ability.

Chael has shown he can fight 5 rounds hard. Weidman gassed hard in the Silva I fight by round 2. Haven't seen Weidman go the distance, and Sonnen has an Iron chin. I dont think Weidman can KO or submit Sonnen, but I have a feeling Sonnen is the more experienced fighter who can pace himself for 5 rounds.

I think Sonnen can take Weidman into deep waters and make him very uncomfortable. Sonnen will regain what was one of his strenghts in the middleweight division, and that is size.

Chael has shown he can fight 5 rounds hard. Weidman gassed hard in the Silva I fight by round 2. Haven't seen Weidman go the distance, and Sonnen has an Iron chin. I dont think Weidman can KO or submit Sonnen, but I have a feeling Sonnen is the more experienced fighter who can pace himself for 5 rounds.

I think Sonnen can take Weidman into deep waters and make him very uncomfortable. Sonnen will regain what was one of his strenghts in the middleweight division, and that is size.

Lol oh the delusion

the question is can chael defend weidmans takedowns. iirc chael has been taken down by guys with less stellar takedowns

delusional as LMAO

Chael lost by 5 times by knockout and 8 times by submission.
he got armbar by Silva and choke by Maia who has worst BBJ than Weidman.

Chael gets humiliated by Weidman/Machida

Just on another level for Chael

Though he isn't getting past Vitor

You must be more delusional than me if you sonnen would beat Weidman

People get distracted by Chaels mouth, and underestimate him. At 185 he is a top contender, he needs size to impose his will, and at middleweight he has that. It would be a 5 round war against Weidman. He can take him down, but I believe Weidman can take Chael down also. Would be a great fight. I think he takes a decision against Vitor to get the shot.

Weidman would destroy Cheal be serious.

People get distracted by Chaels mouth, and underestimate him. At 185 he is a top contender, he needs size to impose his will, and at middleweight he has that. It would be a 5 round war against Weidman. He can take him down, but I believe Weidman can take Chael down also. Would be a great fight. I think he takes a decision against Vitor to get the shot.

He isn't allowed to cheat anymore

Them days are gone

Rockhold, Jacare, Carmont all beat Chael

Weidman would run a clinic on Sonnen.

If he can't take him down, Weidman is a much better striker. He uses his range well and fights well in the clinch. There's also no reason to believe Weidman can't get Sonnen down. Weidman has shown high level chain wrestling and Sonnen's TDD hasn't been looking as impressive lately. Granted, he has been at LHW but everyone from Bisping, Silva, Maia, etc has landed takedowns. It's safe to say someone Weidman's caliber can threaten with it. If he gets on top Sonnen is screwed. Weidman's equally dangerous with GNP or submissions.

Weidman's a horrible matchup for Sonnen, plain and simple. Everything Sonnen can do, Weidman can do better.

And no. He isn't taking Weidman down consistently or keeping him down. Shooting on Weidman is just going to give Weidman chances to lock in front chokes.

No. Weidman would shatter Chael's life.

People who think Chael has a chance here.....please go rewatch his last fight with Rashad Evans.

ya....

Dude....

People who think Chael has a chance here.....please go rewatch his last fight with Rashad Evans.

ya....

Rashad (arguably the #2 or #3 LHW in the world) would problably do the same to Weidman, there is a reason Weidman fights at 185lbs. Size matters.

Sonnen left 185lbs as the #2 Middleweight in the world. Age and TRT-less may show a diffrent Sonnen from the past, but to discredit his achievements is down right ignorant.

It's a 2 man sport, anything is possible. If rankings mattered, no one would fight. Just give the #1 ranked guy the belt and everyone go home.

They fight for a reason. If Sonnen fought Weidman, would he win? I'm not sure, can he win? Absoloutly. Stylistically Sonnen is at a disadvantage. He does have his strenghts though, and if he can impose them I dont see why he cant win.

People who give guys no chance to win and then are shocked when it happens are guys who don't understand what it means to compete. These guys are competitors, TJ Dillashaw is a competitor and he came to compete and beat Barrao. Anything less, he wouldn't of beaten barrao. Sonnen is a game competitor, I believe he has the chance to win. Will he? Well thats why fighters fight, to find out.

Back