Is bulking unhealthy

1. Where did you find that statistic?

2. Many, many people die of heart attacks every year. The fact(?) that a lot of ex-NFL players die of them does not prove that gaining muscle is unhealthy.

3. Linemen tend to be very fat. No one here is trying to say that being fat is healthy.

From the living heart foundation

"In 1994, the National Institute for Occupational Safety Health (NIOSH) studied nearly 7,000 former NFL players pension fund data and determined medium-term clinical outcomes by personal follow-up contact. NIOSH suggested that NFL linemen had a 52% increase in mortality compared to the general population and that cardiovascular disease was largely responsible."

"In 1998, the Georgia Institute of Technology studied 36 active NFL players and found that the % body fat and fat mass were increasing in linemen compared to earlier studies in the 1970’s. In fact, the authors suggested that most of the increase in total body weight observed over the 20 year time span was due to increased fat mass." (from bulking at an increased rate)

"The electrocardiogram (1,282 players) revealed that more than 50% of these selected athletes had abnormal findings in spite of being asymptomatic and appearing fit."

"The echocardiogram (156 players), a more sensitive testing method, showed that many of these football players showed hearts that were larger and thicker than accepted standards for people in the general population."

Here's another article
Heavy NFL players twice as likely to die before 50 - NFL - ESPN
physicians are increasingly questioning whether, by bulking up for their shot at fame and fortune, players are sacrificing their health later in life.

Baron's study, conducted at the request of the NFL Players Association, found that while players generally weren't dying sooner than average, offensive and defensive linemen had a 52 percent greater risk of dying from heart disease than the general population.

"When you get that big -- regardless of whether your body is muscle or fat -- your heart is stressed," Penn State's Yesalis said.

"Is it good for guys to be that big? Of course not," he said. "I fully support a weight limit of 275 pounds. It would reduce injuries and have a positive effect on the short- and long-term health of these men."

"These guys live such an extreme lifestyle with their weight that they are going to be prone to hypertension, diabetes and coronary artery disease. There is no question about it," said Dr. Barry Maron, director of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation

Another link (which is very interesting)
Retired NFL players' arteries may not be so healthy | Reuters

Another good link:
Mayo Clinic - Retired NFL Players at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease

Another link: Found this on the Seattle Seahawks page
Bulky NFL players risk early death

Yes Linemen are fat, because of their bulking strategies and the emphasis that is put on getting bigger. I'm not saying bulking is bad, just that bulking too quickly and to extremes will cause serious health risks. Healthy bulking is done at a slow rate over a long period of time. Right now I sit around 225 or 230. I have a body type where I can pack on muscle and mass easily. I could bulk up to 250 with ease without increasing bodyfat too much (maybe about 3% increase) but my health would deteriorate. My heart would not be as capable of supplying the body with the much needed oxygen. It would be put under strain. There is a right way to bulk and a wrong way.

Last edited:
See, the way that last post was interpreted is why I often laugh at the D+S forum. Do you interpret bulking the same for a normal person as it would be for a lineman? Information on this forum always gets taken way out of context.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but Jaedong is a fucking retard.

thus the reason the highest death rate of ex NFL players (specifically linemen) is from heart attack. coincidence? I think not.

"Thus?" What are you talking about? Because I don't think that follows from my post at all...

Nice info, thanks. So I'll eat all the healthy foods till I'm very full but not stuffed or sick.

Don't confuse your feelings with how much or how little you need to eat to accomplish your goals. Gaining weight IS in fact uncomfortable for a lot of people, just as losing weight is for others.

He's definitely on thin ice here, but don't flame.

"Thus?" What are you talking about? Because I don't think that follows from my post at all...

Don't confuse your feelings with how much or how little you need to eat to accomplish your goals. Gaining weight IS in fact uncomfortable for a lot of people, just as losing weight is for others.

Meaning that "dirty bulking" is unhealthy and the reason there are heart problems throughout the NFL.

Yes Linemen are fat, because of their bulking strategies and the emphasis that is put on getting bigger. I'm not saying bulking is bad, just that bulking too quickly and to extremes will cause serious health risks. Healthy bulking is done at a slow rate over a long period of time. Right now I sit around 225 or 230. I have a body type where I can pack on muscle and mass easily. I could bulk up to 250 with ease without increasing bodyfat too much (maybe about 3% increase) but my health would deteriorate. My heart would not be as capable of supplying the body with the much needed oxygen. It would be put under strain. There is a right way to bulk and a wrong way.

Like I said, being fat for a long period of time is obviously unhealthy. In my opinion bulking up quickly+significant bodyfat isn't overly dangerous as long as you slim down some afterwards.

Like I said, being fat for a long period of time is obviously unhealthy. In my opinion bulking up quickly+significant bodyfat isn't overly dangerous as long as you slim down some afterwards.

I must have misunderstood you.

I think we have serious confusion and miscommunication going on here. Since when does "bulking"=getting fat?

I think we have serious confusion and miscommunication going on here. Since when does "bulking"=getting fat?

As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 ways of bulking, The quick, unhealthy way of eating ridiculous amounts of food for packing on mass, and the slower but much more beneficial in the long run way of adding lean muscle without body fat. My entire arguement is that "bulking" should be a timely process and not to be rushed. Many athletes in many sports try to pack on as much mass as humanly possible in a short amount of time with negative effects to their health. And just because someone wants "bulk up" and then shed some body fat afterwards does not mean they are suddenly healthy. I'm in no way saying packing on muscle is unhealthy or that "bulking" means getting fat. There's just a healthy way to do it and a not so healthy way and it mostly has to do with diet

As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 ways of bulking, The quick, unhealthy way of eating ridiculous amounts of food for packing on mass, and the slower but much more beneficial in the long run way of adding lean muscle without body fat. My entire arguement is that "bulking" should be a timely process and not to be rushed. Many athletes in many sports try to pack on as much mass as humanly possible in a short amount of time with negative effects to their health. And just because someone wants "bulk up" and then shed some body fat afterwards does not mean they are suddenly healthy. I'm in no way saying packing on muscle is unhealthy or that "bulking" means getting fat. There's just a healthy way to do it and a not so healthy way and it mostly has to do with diet

How would someone who gained muscle quickly and then shed bodyfat be less healthy in the long term than someone who gained muscle slowly?

Just because you lose some of the fat (decreasing BMI) is not a real indication of overall health. you should know that. The only way to gain incredible muscle mass in a short amount of time (without gear) is to stuff your face and pack down as much food as possible. You would have decrease cardio. All of this is hell on your arteries, heart, kidneys etc etc.

Just because you lose some of the fat (decreasing BMI) is not a real indication of overall health. you should know that. The only way to gain incredible muscle mass in a short amount of time (without gear) is to stuff your face and pack down as much food as possible. You would have decrease cardio. All of this is hell on your arteries, heart, kidneys etc etc.

Firstly, BMI is a ratio of weight to height and has nothing to do with bodyfat or LBM.

You can cut the cardio while bulking and then increase it after hitting your target weight and get back "in shape". Your body will eventually adapt to the extra mass. It is terrific at doing this type of thing.

See, the way that last post was interpreted is why I often laugh at the D+S forum. Do you interpret bulking the same for a normal person as it would be for a lineman? Information on this forum always gets taken way out of context.

I gained 4 pounds in 1 week, I think I overdid it. And my stomach felt tired and not good from all the eating and got pretty big and bloated, if that doesn't sound to stupid.

Thank you. I can see why you think that way and the only thing I can do is try to be more polite and well ... post better, without being offensive in any way.

You are being FAR too kind.

Thank you too for judging me over the internet, not that we will ever meet but anyways.

Same answer as Oblivian for the eating. As being on thin ice, well I did "stir some trouble" but I never had any bad intent, it was more me not being good enough at communicating trough the internet or having the wrong ideas, being misinformed bout training and some nutrition topics. But any way you slice sometimes I have been an ______ (insert random insult).

The only reason I'm justifying myself is cause I'll still have to post videos of me lifting to get my form criticized and improve it. So it'd be a little embarrassing if you see me and think that's the complete retard douche but well it's the internet, it's not really known to be serious business and people say shit on it all the time.

I'm wondering how old he is.

The average age of most sherdoggers are teens I'd imagine. Or atleast the ones that stand out.

I'm 23 - and whatever ... ok so everyone on here agrees that I suck at posting, well I'ma just suicide then since if I'm no good on sherdog there is no point of living anymore.

Both times I had dubs is cause of starting a wrong topic ( health question in S&C, pro wrestling injuries in HW), just so people know. Cause I say stuff some posters don't agree with but don't directly call people names, I don't have that bad intent.

I don't understand how your NFL link was relevant to your argument above. I don't think the NFL players were bulking up really quickly. I'm sure they were overeating and eating whatever the hell they wanted for a LONG period of time.

Your last statement in the post I quoted above is that most of it has to do with diet. I disagree. Most people when they bulk cut down on cardio. Everytime I've heard of someone bulking, it's in favor of cutting back on cardio/gpp for strength purposes.

Overall, I think you are putting way too much emphasis on the bad health aspects. IMO, the negative effects on health from a bulk are minimal. I think you are looking at this short term rather than in the long run. I bulked up to 190 lbs at one point in favor of strength gains. Months later, I ended up going on a conditioning/weight loss phase. Again, I'm on a strength phase where one could say I'm bulking, although I'm not really doing it intentionally. I would guess my conditioning, cardio, health, etc. is better than most people out there, yet I haven't done any conditioning for a long time. Is my cardio as good as ever? Of course not, but I think it doesn't matter in the long run and a lot of it has to do with not focusing on conditioning work, not so much diet.

Firstly, BMI is a ratio of weight to height and has nothing to do with bodyfat or LBM.

You can cut the cardio while bulking and then increase it after hitting your target weight and get back "in shape". Your body will eventually adapt to the extra mass. It is terrific at doing this type of thing.

This.

You're right, sorry brain fart.

Back