Is bulking unhealthy

Jaedong

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now I eat a lot and my stomach feels full and tired not as good as if I'd just eat enough to be satisfied. Also eating causes a lot of free radicals in your body. Now since I try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits too (I guess eggs, meat, diary and honey also has some antioxidants) do the antioxidants in it undo the possible negative effects. Also inflation from grains :

Study Shows Whole Grains Reduce Inflammation | Laurel On Health Food

Are grains unhealthy for the body and hear or not ? Cause if they are I still can eat legumes (lentils, beans) and potatoes for concentrated carbs. I don't think anti-nutrients will be a problem cause when you eat a lot you still get plenty of all nutrients in your diet even if some are unused cause of anti-nutrients. Also beans along with berries are highest in antioxidants I believe and very high in vitamins and minerals.

Also what about this :

Eat Less Live More

I hope this time around my thread didn't offend anyone.

Nobody wants to start a paleo vs high carb war. And nobody ever suggested bulking for your entire life, to gain weight you need to eat more.

Nobody wants to start a paleo vs high carb war. And nobody ever suggested bulking for your entire life, to gain weight you need to eat more.

But you still need to eat a lot to keep that weight.

You also can get enough carbs without grains, if grain are not really healthy I still can eat vegetables high in carb and fruits n' legumes, milk also has quiet a few carbs. I'd rather ask then do it wrong or suboptimal

If you are bulking, grains, peanut butter, and milk are your friends.

That's a different question from "Is bulking unhealthy".

I know that when I add a lot of weight in a short period of time, I see an increase in blood pressure to levels that put me in pre-hypertensive stages. It generally takes a couple months for my body to adjust back down to normal blood pressures at the new weight. So in that sense, I don't think the bulk is particularly healthy.

If your question is really "Is being big and strong unhealthy", then the answer is probably relative. It's healthier than being a fat couch potato. If we define healthy in terms of longevity, there's some good statistical evidence that being lighter increases your longevity. However, the statistical evidence is probably biased by the fact that if you are 70 years old and weigh 220 pounds, you are probably fat, rather than muscular.

You also can get enough carbs without grains, if grain are not really healthy I still can eat vegetables high in carb and fruits n' legumes, milk also has quiet a few carbs. I'd rather ask then do it wrong or suboptimal

A bigger body also takes more energy to move around. And sure you CAN get enough carbs without grains, technically you can gain without any carbs at all. But it's extremely impractical and IMO not worth the effort.

That's a different question from "Is bulking unhealthy".

I know that when I add a lot of weight in a short period of time, I see an increase in blood pressure to levels that put me in pre-hypertensive stages. It generally takes a couple months for my body to adjust back down to normal blood pressures at the new weight. So in that sense, I don't think the bulk is particularly healthy.

If your question is really "Is being big and strong unhealthy", then the answer is probably relative. It's healthier than being a fat couch potato. If we define healthy in terms of longevity, there's some good statistical evidence that being lighter increases your longevity. However, the statistical evidence is probably biased by the fact that if you are 70 years old and weigh 220 pounds, you are probably fat, rather than muscular.

I'll slow down a bit, rather slower and healthy then fast and high blood pressure. I'll eat till I get very full but not almost sick. Also check my blood pressure and other "levels" every 3 months.

The more active you are, the more calories you need, so if you're active, you need to eat a lot to keep muscle mass and energy levels up for your activities. The more muscle you have on your frame, the more calories you are going to burn sitting still, so it's no different than a lighter person who is not as active. Caloric maintenance is all about how active you are and your personal needs. Anything can become unhealthy if you do it the wrong way, including bulking.

Now I eat a lot and my stomach feels full and tired not as good as if I'd just eat enough to be satisfied. Also eating causes a lot of free radicals in your body. Now since I try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits too (I guess eggs, meat, diary and honey also has some antioxidants) do the antioxidants in it undo the possible negative effects. Also inflation from grains :

Study Shows Whole Grains Reduce Inflammation | Laurel On Health Food

Are grains unhealthy for the body and hear or not ? Cause if they are I still can eat legumes (lentils, beans) and potatoes for concentrated carbs. I don't think anti-nutrients will be a problem cause when you eat a lot you still get plenty of all nutrients in your diet even if some are unused cause of anti-nutrients. Also beans along with berries are highest in antioxidants I believe and very high in vitamins and minerals.

Also what about this :

Eat Less Live More

I hope this time around my thread didn't offend anyone.

1. There is nothing inherently wrong or evil about free radicals (or even inflammation, for that matter). If there was, exercise would be bad for us. Just something to think about, for perspective.
2. Did you read the first link you posted? The actual study only indicates that whole grains are less inflammatory than refined grains--that's a very different thing from "whole grains reduce inflammation" or "whole grains are anti-inflammatory," both of which would be wrong in most cases.

This is not to say that you should not eat grains. I eat some grains, and gaining weight without any grains would be a pain for most people. However, you need to know the facts to make educated decisions.
3. Legumes often have a better macro and micro nutrient profiles than grains, but their anti-nutritive effects can be problematic for some people. When we talk about anti-nutrients, we're not just talking about impairing the absorption of nutrients, we're talking about damage on a micro scale. In other words, taking in more nutrients does not necessarily address the problem. I suggest doing some research on lectins, gluten, phytates and other anti-nutrients.

Furthermore, the nutrient content of legumes (and grains, for that matter), can be deceiving because your body may or may not be able to digest them very well. Probably not a big deal if you're just looking to get some extra fat, carbs, or protein from them, but it may be a bad idea to count on them as a source of vitamins or minerals.

Again, this doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't eat any legumes (you all are well acquainted with my love of PB :D), but you need to understand the downsides of the foods you are consuming.

This all seems rather tangential to whether bulking is unhealthy or not. Yes, I've seen some research showing caloric restriction extending lifespan. However, I have to wonder how much research has been on people who are taking in lots of quality food and training hard, and getting bigger. Since that describes a minuscule fraction of the population, I'd guess very little research indeed, and therefore would hesitate to draw conclusions.

Very well written post X. Well I don't read internet articles cause they bore me, I'm like tell me in two sentences if something is good or not and why. But yeah I don't have to bulk up overnight and feel sickish from all the food. Also a mistake I do is eat a huge meal and then be full for the next 4 hours instead of eating something big but not too big and therefore more often and more food overall. By any chance do you know if I can work out this evening with a sore left tonsil, it hurts swallowing. Should I lift tomorrow or today, I'm doing Bill Stars 5x5 from this week.

Yep, lots of ways to get plenty of calories without eating a lot. That's how I got fat.

I could be wrong about this, but to build muscle, I think a only a modest calorie surplus, in the 500-750 calories a day range, is all thats necessary. I don't think a 2000/day calorie surplus will help you build the muscle faster.

IF that is the case, I think that could be accomplished will relatively modest diet changes.

Very true. And to add, I don't think bulking is a good thing, I'd rather gain weight gradually through carb cycling etc... I'd hate the idea of feel really fat during the bulk.

^I (and I think a lot of people) typically think bulking=gaining weight, howsoever one goes about that process. If by bulking, you mean eating anything and everything (aka "dirty bulk"), yeah, I agree that probably unhealthy, unhealthy, and counterproductive to one's ultimate goals.

By any chance do you know if I can work out this evening with a sore left tonsil, it hurts swallowing. Should I lift tomorrow or today, I'm doing Bill Stars 5x5 from this week.

Is that a serious question? I'm inclined to reply sarcastically, unless you actually have strep throat or something, in which case you need to go get some anitbiotics before you spread that crap around.

^I (and I think a lot of people) typically think bulking=gaining weight, howsoever one goes about that process. If by bulking, you mean eating anything and everything (aka "dirty bulk"), yeah, I agree that probably unhealthy, unhealthy, and counterproductive to one's ultimate goals.

True. My interpretation of what he was saying was bulking in the classic bodybuilding sense, rather than more gradual. You're right though, I assumed this.

If you are bulking slowly, over time by eating quality foods and exercising then i see no problem with it. if you are trying to pack massive amount of size on in a short time, that is where the problem is.

thus the reason the highest death rate of ex NFL players (specifically linemen) is from heart attack. coincidence? I think not.

thus the reason the highest death rate of ex NFL players (specifically linemen) is from heart attack. coincidence? I think not.

Nice info, thanks. So I'll eat all the healthy foods till I'm very full but not stuffed or sick.

1. Where did you find that statistic?

2. Many, many people die of heart attacks every year. The fact(?) that a lot of ex-NFL players die of them does not prove that gaining muscle is unhealthy.

3. Linemen tend to be very fat. No one here is trying to say that being fat is healthy.

Nice info, thanks. So I'll eat all the healthy foods till I'm very full but not stuffed or sick.

See, the way that last post was interpreted is why I often laugh at the D+S forum. Do you interpret bulking the same for a normal person as it would be for a lineman? Information on this forum always gets taken way out of context.

Back