Is Brazilian Ju-Jitsu the fastest growing MA in the world?

yodsaenkla**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I mentioned this to my friend the other day who disagreed with me saying that it was past it's boom and is going to stay at its level of popularity.

What do you guys think?

I see it cropping up more and more in everyday life although I only have anecdotal evidence.

Define fastest growing MA. By the numbers of registered members. Amount of school.

Worldwide, judo and wrestling are much more popular. The reason Bjj is not an olympic sport is because it's not "international" enough, aka the brazilians would dominate, so it hasn't reached other countries on a serious level. It may be growing fast, but wrestling and judo and many other sports are already well established worldwide.

Ts did not ask if Bjj is the biggest MA. He asked if it was the fastest growing MA

Every viable market in the States has probably been saturated. But you still have many untapped places. China, India, Russia, and the rest of Latin America dont have that many schools.

Whether BJJ breaks into those markets successfully will depend on how effective people in those places think BJJ is. Like in Russia, if people think sambo will suffice, then why even try BJJ. Latin America has judo, and I guess BJJ will be competing with them, since they have common technique, or at least share certain tactics.

China's martial arts school industry is wide open. If BJJ can market itself right, they can probably hook the populace, like basketball has. India I do not know. But I imagine they are wide open too.

Since my first ever class up until my most recent, there has been a huge increase of people. Like, 200% more.

Every viable market in the States has probably been saturated. But you still have many untapped places. China, India, Russia, and the rest of Latin America dont have that many schools.

Whether BJJ breaks into those markets successfully will depend on how effective people in those places think BJJ is. Like in Russia, if people think sambo will suffice, then why even try BJJ. Latin America has judo, and I guess BJJ will be competing with them, since they have common technique, or at least share certain tactics.

China's martial arts school industry is wide open. If BJJ can market itself right, they can probably hook the populace, like basketball has. India I do not know. But I imagine they are wide open too.

It might be saturated on the coasts, but there's PLENTY of market left here in the middle! Most towns in my state have no BJJ at all.

Of course, with all of this rural area, opening more schools may or may not be a good idea.

I would think that MMA as a style is growing at a faster rate than pure BJJ.

Definitely BJJ is the fastest growing martial art. i dont see how this can be a debate.

if you count MMA as a martial art then maybe that too.

If my area is a reliable indicator, I would have to say yes. The TMA schools are really struggling, and trying to incorporate jiu jitsu into their business in some form. It would lead me to believe their current and potential students are showing an interest in jiu jitsu. I haven't seen any BJJ school scramble to add tkd or karate to draw in students. Going by the numbers at our school, i believe the overall interest in BJJ may have already peaked, but it's still greater than the current interest for other arts.

Totally dependant on where you live.

In Brazil or USA, sure BJJ is getting more popular.

Ex-USSR? Sambo, Judo and Wrestling still run the show. Guys on this forum need to remember that the world does not = USA.

my two cents (may be totally off) but MMA has hit mainstream, is easily accessible to anyone who has basic cable, and will probably be full household/layman status (as in everyone know what it is) in the next 5-10 years. the casual fan these days is no longer a practitioner of one of the component arts, most likely a 19-25 year old male with no experience at all.

the ones that have seen it and felt love at first sight where they rush down to an MMA school (or an academy that teaches one of the component systems) to try it out have probably already done so already. assuming that mma is responsible for the boom in popularity of the component arts, as the rate of excitement over mma slows, so will enrollment in schools that teach combat sports. Not to a standstill of course, but a less rapid, steady state level of reasonable growth that would most likely correlate to the number of new fans each year who end up interested enough to try it out.

I'd say the initial honeymoon phase for MMA as well as arts like BJJ is coming to an end.

MMA as it's own style is the fastest growing. I think BJJ has already cemented itself as one of the cornerstones of MMA and is more of a staple than anything. And because bjj is more practical for non-professional fighters and adults than say, getting elbowed in muay thai multiple times per week, yes, it tends to grow the most quickly among the inexperienced. I also think the perception of TMAs as being ineffective is increasing. I think people with no experience reach for BJJ now more than anything, and I think people with experience are going the MMA route.

I don't even see how this is even debatable...BJJ is the fastest GROWING martial art in the world, no question.

Yes, wrestling/judo is bigger and will probably always be bigger but BJJ is growing fast and isn't stopping anytime soon.

I think its popularity has already maxed out. The fastest growing would probably be Sambo, maybe CACC.

Wrestling and judo have been around forever. BJJ didn't start getting popular until after 1993 and UFC1,hell it was unknown outside of Brazil. Even then most of the general public didn't know about it. As the UFC grew so did the interest in BJJ. As people started rolling in from watching the UFC'S/Pride they found that it wasn't all about just that but there was a less dangerous sporting aspect as well. People could still compete in a combative atmosphere without worrying about getting their heads bashed in. BJJ is one of the safest and most practical MA's one can practice and you don't have to be super athletic to do it.

for the people saying no, what is if not bjj?

Totally dependant on where you live.

In Brazil or USA, sure BJJ is getting more popular.

Ex-USSR? Sambo, Judo and Wrestling still run the show. Guys on this forum need to remember that the world does not = USA.

BJJ started booming, mainly in Chechnya over the last months

Back