Is Bellator the reason behind Jon Jones' contract issues?

That's so cute how this person apparently thinks that Viacom are a bunch of true MMA fans and don't really care about making a return on their investment.

If Viacom want a real return on their investment, now is the time to open the chequebook a little and shake things up. Coming off a 100,000+ ppv, there is a buzz around Bellator now. Signign up big PPV draws could be the way to put Bellator on the map.

Of course they aren't getting Jones, but it would be worth a try. Offer him $10 a PPV buy and he would jump ship instantly if he could get out of his contract.

Bellator is not signing or offering Jon Jones anything.

One Jon Jones fight would cost as much as 5 to 10 Bellator events total payroll. That isn't good business, common sense.

Viacom isn't sinking money into Bellator at a mass rate. Nothing Bellator has done would ever make them think sinking in large amounts would ever see a big return. Ratings have been basically the same from one season to a next on Spike. Big names do about a 200-250K up tick in ratings over an avg. card. In the world of advertising(how Spike/Viacom make money) they can't really charge much more to the advertisers. This is one of the biggest hurdles Bellator or any MMA org on TV has to deal with, talent level vs profitability for all parties. On top of it Bellator has a hard time even selling tickets. Hell, they have a hard time making money on anything besides what Spike gives them.

Truth is Bellator isn't exactly financially fit that anyone from the outside can say different. It appears there like a lot of orgs that start to grow. Some cards they can make money on but as soon as certain(bigger $$$) fighters fight on a card they lose money. They can't self exist, they only exist as long as Spike puts money into it. It's the number one reason why they don't sign a lot of fighters we as fans think they should sign. Guys like Askren, Fitch, Okami, and more that will come down the pipeline. It's simply because they feel those fighters won't bring ratings. But a guy like Rampage or Tito will. Remember its a business first and foremost. Scariest thing about it all is Spike/Viacom own controlling interest in Bellator. So if the people in charge start to believe that Bellator isn't showing the promise they thought when they made this deal, it can all go away overnight.

They just drew 100,000+ buyrates on their first PPV which lost it's main event with a week to go. That is as positive sign as you can get.

If you believe Bellator isn't offering Jones a deal when he is a free agent, or that Jones isn't listening, then you're a moron. Did you follow the Melendez situation at all?

Gil got BY FAR the best deal in the UFC, and why? Because he used every bit of leverage he had. He let his contract run out, he solicited offers, he signed the best offer sheet. The fact that UFC countered was just gravy.

If you think Jon, and everybody other top class fighter, wasn't paying attention, I have news for you. The days of people signing Dana White's piss poor "take it or leave it" contracts are over.

Your trying to compare Jones to Gil............LOL.

Jones makes millions a fight and Gil makes few 100K.

They just drew 100,000+ buyrates on their first PPV which lost it's main event with a week to go. That is as positive sign as you can get.

Who is reporting a 100,000+ buys??????? I know Luke Thomas mentioned something like 100K. But I don't put much weight in what he says on PPV numbers as he usually doesn't talk much about PPV buys.

Only report I saw was about 50K-60K from Metzler who at least for over a decade has a track record with PPV buy information in various sports.

Bjorn dances around saying starting at 100K would be good....that is nonsense talk. You don't have to give a number but you could say something like...It did over 100K but less then 200K. That is a massive accomplish and should be released. It would be the biggest moment in Bellator history if that PPV did over 100K, don't down play it.

Last edited:
Do u even watch MMA, guy? You pick 2 ufc guys out of the whole lhw roster full of Bellator Talent. Emmanuel is Legit. Liam is legit. They have a ton of good prospects. Rome wasn't built in a day. But it can collapse overnight. and that would be the UFC's scenario if Bellator got jones. more fighters would need more money or more top guys would go to Bellator. either way talent pool end up being 50/50 could get insanse. Don't live your life like a closed off little box boy. Look at the bigger picture. Think logically not biased

Fukin LOL. Yeah Bones is just itching to add the names Newton and McGeary to his resume. Those two names would dwarf those already on his resume. Shogun, Gus, Vitor, Evans, Machida, Glover, etc. got nothing on Liam McGeary. Hilarious.

Anyone else think Bellator might've made an offer to Jon Jones? His contract has one fight on it left. He's taken his time with signing a new one and signing the bout agreement with Gustaffsson. Could Viacom have made a mega deal to him?

NO, what the hell are you thinking?

100k according to an anonymous source inside Bellator...

Who is reporting a 100,000+ buys??????? I know Luke Thomas mentioned something like 100K. But I don't put much weight in what he says on PPV numbers as he usually doesn't talk much about PPV buys.

Only report I saw was about 50K-60K from Metzler who at least for over a decade has a track record with PPV buy information in various sports.

Bjorn dances around saying starting at 100K would be good....that is nonsense talk. You don't have to give a number but you could say something like...It did over 100K but less then 200K. That is a massive accomplish and should be released. It would be the biggest moment in Bellator history if that PPV did over 100K, don't down play it.

Meltzer reported the 100,000+ figure in his latest newsletter as well.

Champion clause dude. Jones is fucking locked in.

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

He might be fighting for a better contract, but it's contractually impossible for him to be fielding other offers.

So if I'm reading this correctly does this mean that a champion could either A) vacate his title and then sign to fight with another organization after 1 year of inactivity and/or B) fight 3 more fights in the UFC (potentially win all 3) and then sign with another organization while still champion?

Meltzer's original 50k-60k report was within 48 hours of the event, and he stressed that it was just a prelim estimate.

By the end of the week, he was hearing from his own sources that the PPV had broken 100k buys.

Not sure if your serious?

Not a chance in hell, for all the reasons stated above. Although it would be hilarious.

Maybe but more along the lines of the Gilbert Melendez issue. Jones saw what Melendez got and wants to make sure that he gets a better deal than non champion with 2 fights in the UFC got.

Maybe but more along the lines of the Gilbert Melendez issue. Jones saw what Melendez got and wants to make sure that he gets a better deal than non champion with 2 fights in the UFC got.

Jon Jones has a far better deal than Melendez. Also Jon Jones's contract is no where near experation.

I think its not just a positive sign but a sign that bigger names are what they need for more success rather than just plowing the same furrow they have been.

Things have changed a lot since the days of Affliction I'd say, the fanbase is more knowledgeable and more likely to consider non UFC PPV's, especially from an org they know better.

Anyone else think Bellator might've made an offer to Jon Jones? His contract has one fight on it left. He's taken his time with signing a new one and signing the bout agreement with Gustaffsson. Could Viacom have made a mega deal to him?

Such a moronic thread. Jones would lose soooooo much sponsorship money and PPV money. Plus JBJ has 5 fights left, not 1. Stop posting you suck at it.

Back