Is Bellator the reason behind Jon Jones' contract issues?

GNP45

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Anyone else think Bellator might've made an offer to Jon Jones? His contract has one fight on it left. He's taken his time with signing a new one and signing the bout agreement with Gustaffsson. Could Viacom have made a mega deal to him?

No. No man.

That's fuckin illegal. They would have to wait until there is no fights and a long exclusive negotiating period ended...which this won't come to.

Dude is just duckin Gus

No. No man.

That's fuckin illegal. They would have to wait until there is no fights and a long exclusive negotiating period ended...which this won't come to.

Dude is just duckin Gus

I know to officially make an offer is illegal, but maybe someone has had talks with him privately. Idk just a wild theory. What else could be taking so long? Other than Zuffa low-balling fighters like usual

Jon Jones going to Bellator would mean he would be "undefeated" his whole career. Obviously not what the contract issues are about but would be fun to think about.

Jon Jones vs Rampage would be huge for Bellator.

I know to officially make an offer is illegal, but maybe someone has had talks with him privately. Idk just a wild theory. What else could be taking so long? Other than Zuffa low-balling fighters like usual

I doubt it.

Dude just don't want none of the Swede...or he's trying some bush league psyche out stuff.

Champion clause dude. Jones is fucking locked in.

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

He might be fighting for a better contract, but it's contractually impossible for him to be fielding other offers.

Jon Jones going to Bellator would mean he would be "undefeated" his whole career. Obviously not what the contract issues are about but would be fun to think about.

Jon Jones vs Rampage would be huge for Bellator.

Newton 48-47...only fighter to successfully utilize leg kicks against Jones.

Yet when Bellator does these kinds of contracts then it's unfair to the fighter.
And might i even add UFC's contracts are much worse as far as locking fighters in

No. No man.

Dude is just duckin Gus

How do you figure?
The guy need to sign a new multi-fight contract and some how negotiating that contract is = ducking Gus. Gus is ONE fight not the whole contract.

The guy has a family to consider. MMA isn't exactly a sustainable, long-term career (Jones tears his ACL or has further problems with his toe, he isn't really qualified to be a business executive), he's trying to get as much money out of his fights as possible. He's doing what everybody on Sherdog always calls for in those 'fighter pay' threads.

Maybe he is worried about Gus and Cormier. Not ducking, but recognizes they are a threat. If he loses, he probably wants monetary guarantees he wont just be tossed aside.

got a source for that? I dont think it is real.

Acquired from http://mmapayout.com/2009/09/the-champions-clause-an-mma-comparative/ I remember it being part of the debate over UFC fighter contracts.

Dude I know he can't field offers. But what if someone from Viacom just got in touch with him and said a massive deal was waiting for him. How crazy would that be?

Sorry the "Dude" in my comment made it sound douchier then I meant haha. I could see that being a possibility, if only so that Jones went "fuck, I'm worth more money, I'm gonna hold out until the UFC gives it to me." Great plan to fuck with the UFC if that's what happened. But I don't think it would be possible for him to consider accepting a huge offer from Viacom, even it was for like a million a fight. Hell, I could offer him a million a fight to fight in my backyard fight league, but he couldn't accept it anyways.

Acquired from http://mmapayout.com/2009/09/the-champions-clause-an-mma-comparative/ I remember it being part of the debate over UFC fighter contracts.

Whether or not that is in Jones contract, that clause wouldnt apply to Jones anyways. he has both been champion longer than 18 months and taken more than 3 fights. If he doesnt resign with the UFC, he will be a free agent.

Not that anyone could match the UFCs pay on the open market, but his price could be driven up significantly.

If they even made contact with him for 2 minutes, ZUFFA would love nothing more than to sue the living crap out of them, so no.

More than likely I'm guessing he wants some ridiculous money, or more likely is going the Couture route and wants to have the rights to his image etc. The UFC normally gets these rights in the contract, why you've never seen Couture in a UFC game but you have seen guys like Te Huna and Vera

No TS, Bellator is not the issue for this.

If i was to guess, I would think Jon and his team, know now is the time (many champs out injured) that they have some leverage and are trying to get a better deal.

Dana and the UFC, are trying to use the media to make Jon look scared to bully him into signing a contract that they like....

standard negotiations by both parties.

No, it's actually WSOF with a "Big Announcement" that is holding things up. :icon_lol:

Champion clause dude. Jones is fucking locked in.

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

He might be fighting for a better contract, but it's contractually impossible for him to be fielding other offers.

I always thought the champion had to lose to get away from Zuffa. Sitting out a year is bad, but doable. Not sure where Couture was with regard to his contract when he tried to force a non-UFC fight with Fedor, but he should have just fulfilled his contract and then sat out a year.

No. No man.

Dude is just duckin Gus

What is this law you are referring to, something specific to fighters or athletes? Why can you not only not talk to them while they have an active contract but also after the contract has expired for a while?

Yes! It's why someone leaked the 100k ppv number. Bjorn wanted to entice jones with that bellator money.

Back