Is anyone else still not sold on Cormier?

Gorkle

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
To me, it just seems like he has great wrestling and not much else going for him. He's horrendously overhyped based on a few highlight reel slams and a knockout of Bigfoot.

He's basically nothing but a blanket, whether its pushing Mir and Nelson against the cage or lying on top of Henderson. I can see any fighter with a good standup and a decent submission game having a very easy time with him. So far, in his UFC career in particular, he has fought people with one glaring weakness and just played against that.

Mir has poor standup but a great ground game, so Cormier forces him against the cage and stays away from the floor. Nelson has a powerful right hand and no plan b, so Cormier forces him against the cage so he can't use it. Henderson again, has a right hand and little else. So Cormier forces him to the floor.

He panicked when Henderson, with 2 submission wins in 30, went for a leg lock. Now put him against someone who is good at submissions and can stifle his attempts to just push them against the cage. His standup isn't as good as people make out (see Patrick Cummins tagging Cormier until he wilted away) and if he can't go to just pushing/laying on people, I can see it going very badly for him.

Wait so on top of his great wrestling and solid striking....you're also saying he is an expert at exploiting his opponents weaknesses!?

DC CANNOT BE STOPPED!

I know what you mean, I feel the same way in that he doesn't look or seem as good as his record indicates! But, look at his record! He just beats everyone he faces and he has fought some big dudes, talented big dudes--never lost at Heavyweight.

He has only had one 5 round fight, won by decision, so I wonder how he will do against a faster LHW with great cardio going into rounds 4 and 5

He has great wrestling, ok striking. And has fought a series of opponents with a horrendous weakness in their game.

Cormier horrendously overhyped.

Wait. bahahaha. no wait bahahah. just the most incredibly stupid thread ever.

What could he have done last night to actually impress you TS? Kill Hendo with his bare hands?

I don't think you've seen the Barnett fight then? Or the Bigfoot fight? Cormier is the real deal, that's why he's unbeaten across 2 weight classes

Horrendous OP.
He doesn't "seem" to have great wrestling, he DOES have great wrestling. Solid striking. Knows how to identify his opponents' weaknesses and exploit them.
And he didn't panic against Henderson.

Good luck finding a fighter that Cormier can't get to the ground or force to the fence.

I'm not sure which is worse your fighter & fight comprehension or your OP.

What could he have done last night to actually impress you TS? Kill Hendo with his bare hands?

Something other than you know, just laying on top of a guy who probably weighs a good 20+ pounds less than him?

All I saw was a man who would make a really nice duvet.

To me, it just seems like he has great wrestling and not much else going for him. He's horrendously overhyped based on a few highlight reel slams and a knockout of Bigfoot.

He's basically nothing but a blanket, whether its pushing Mir and Nelson against the cage or lying on top of Henderson. I can see any fighter with a good standup and a decent submission game having a very easy time with him. So far, in his UFC career in particular, he has fought people with one glaring weakness and just played against that.

Mir has poor standup but a great ground game, so Cormier forces him against the cage and stays away from the floor. Nelson has a powerful right hand and no plan b, so Cormier forces him against the cage so he can't use it. Henderson again, has a right hand and little else. So Cormier forces him to the floor.

He panicked when Henderson, with 2 submission wins in 30, went for a leg lock. Now put him against someone who is good at submissions and can stifle his attempts to just push them against the cage. His standup isn't as good as people make out (see Patrick Cummins tagging Cormier until he wilted away) and if he can't go to just pushing/laying on people, I can see it going very badly for him.

wut.

Apart from Bigfoot and 2 no names, all the competition he faced were opponents in the late phase of their carreer. Very interesting to see how he deals with actual contenders. So far he's exiting and looking good.

giphy.gif

Nah, I'm pretty sold on him. I remember watching him 3 years ago on a kotc card, thinking he was going to be a champ some day.

The question is will he be able to get a hold of Jon jones?

Back