Is Admitting I'm Doing Crossfit Like Coming Out?

G

Green Monkey

So, I finally admitted that my biggest problem is my cardio and decided to give Crossfit a try.

I've been working it in where it makes sense in my Westside style lifting (OK, it doesn't make sense with Westside at all if I'm training to compete as a PLer, but I'm not).

I've noticed some improvement in cardio function, but it may just be that I like the sort of cardio/weight/continuous improvement ideas that are the basis of Crossfit training.

Anyway, my real question is - does that make me gay or ghey or what?:icon_chee:icon_cry2

Not really. It's just something to improve your GPP. I think you could do better in terms of ways to reach that goal (Ross), but if it's working it's working.

gtfo-1.gif

Cross*** IMHO.

What are your goals, do you train MMA et etc?

If you feel cardio is a problem on the mat, it makes sense to improve it and take a break from lifting.

Just do what you want/like. If your lifts are going up and your conditioning is improving then stick with it.

Nothing wrong with it, just that a lot of people believe there are other methods more effective than CF in improving GPP and also improving your strength and power

OMG!! Teh GAYZORS!!!!

But seriously, do your thing, man.

Cross*** IMHO.

What are your goals, do you train MMA et etc?

If you feel cardio is a problem on the mat, it makes sense to improve it and take a break from lifting.

I'm just trying to get my cardio up where I can roll without tapping to lack of O2 and get back into KB/MT.

For the record, I'm still lifting, running, and training BJJ - heavy workload for my old ass, but I'm dealing with it pretty well.

Nothing wrong with it, just that a lot of people believe there are other methods more effective than CF in improving GPP and also improving your strength and power

Crossfit just appeals to my sense of competitiveness, so it's working for me right now.

I'm just subbing CF for one cardio workout per day, because my ankles aren't holding up to long running sessions twice a day.

I've just gotten sick of dragging around extra body fat, so I'm returning to a twice a day schedule for cardio activity.

Westside is still my Rx for S&P and I'm not giving that up.

Oh yeah - this wasn't supposed to be a troll vs crossfit.

I was just laughing at myself and exposing myself to ridicule - sorta like being married.

Since a good deal of the guys here have done cindy as one of the conditioning challenges I dont see how anybody can ridicule you.

I do think we are kind of over the whole "crossfit is gay" thing...

They have lots of good tools to use, propably not the best thing to stay on forever though.. But as long as your geting in beter condition and your atleast not geting weaker your doing progress, as simple as that.

Quite often there are lots of hot girls at things that at first seem gay: yoga classes, kick boxercise, cooking class, dance lessons, etc.

And that, my friends, is everything I know about women.

Since a good deal of the guys here have done cindy as one of the conditioning challenges I dont see how anybody can ridicule you.

I do think we are kind of over the whole "crossfit is gay" thing...

They have lots of good tools to use, propably not the best thing to stay on forever though.. But as long as your geting in beter condition and your atleast not geting weaker your doing progress, as simple as that.

Yeah, I was counting on the beating a dead horse aspect to lend some humor to the thread - not sure anyone picked up on that.

Quite often there are lots of hot girls at things that at first seem gay: yoga classes, kick boxercise, cooking class, dance lessons, etc.

And that, my friends, is everything I know about women.
Word.

Every single one of those has worked for me, except cooking classes. I may have to try those without my wife finding out.

I've reformed my opinion of crossfit over the last few years. Basically I think they have two major faults:
- no specificity whatsoever
- Over rotating workouts.

Since not everyone has specific goals, and some people just like to be "in shape," my second criticism seems to hold the most water.

Crossfit is not bad for people in general, but I don't like that you can't quantify progress on a routine for months at a time. LIke say you do mary (or some such routine), they'll have you do it, and record your time, and then you won't see it again for like 2-3 months. Well... 2-3 months later and you're just now seeing your progress? That doesn't seem right. I mean, you'll "feel" better, but who gives a fuck if you don't have the numbers to quantify your progress. Shit I can make you"feel" like you're getting a workout and make you sore as all fuck, but that doesn't mean you're getting in better shape.

I hate to pimp my routine, but really I like the notion that you can lift twice a week and hit crossfit style routines three times a week and simply switch them out when you stagnate. In my paradigm, you would do lift monday, mary on tuesday, thelma on wednesday, rest thursday, lift friday, and do patricia on sat. then repeat next week, if ANY of the gpp sssions fail to improve by the following week, modify or rotate THAT session. So if mary doesn't get better next monday, either tweak it (harder pushup/pullup/burpee variation, change the weight used on a lift, etc.) or rotate it out for a new session entirely (jane or some bullshit).

Seems like a better plan of attack than mindlessly and randomly going through a million routines without assessing your improvement.

Just do what you want/like. If your lifts are going up and your conditioning is improving then stick with it.

+1

I think from an overall GPP perspective Ross Enamait has a better strategy, but crossfit really keeps it interesting for people that aren't driven by their goals, but by just being interested while they work out.

Not everyone is satisfied with only doing as many lifts as they can count on one hand, day in and day out.

What exactly are you doing? Are you just doing the WotD on the days you are "doing Crossfit?"

Crossfitty stuff has its place, and if it helps you reach your goals, then run with it.

So am I correct in assuming that RT is a more effective way of increasing GPP, than Crossfit is? I recently subscribed to the SEAL Fit WOD (For aspiring SOF candidates), now I don't plan on going into the military any time soon, which one do you think is more effective, RT or Crossfit for all purpose fitness. I also have a fitness test for a firefighting course coming up, and just want opinions on this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Back