Is 33 y.o. Nick Diaz Still a Contender???

kevinramsdell

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think Nick saying people fighting HIM would be an opportunity is insane. I love the guy but he hasn't recorded a win since 2011 and hasn't finished a UFC fight since UFC 65. The guy has notoriously lost EVERY big UFC fight he has been in except for maybe the Robbie Lawler fight in 2004. Why should Diaz get a fight against Woodley? Anybody with a solid gameplan beats the guy, he gets frustrated to easy and falls apart. Diaz vs Wonderboy sounds good to me

Maybe when he gets another victory, since his last one was in 2011 over a fat lightweight.

Given he fights (and loses) once in a blue moon, no.

He's less deserving of a title shot than Hendo. But I don't get too fussed about these things. I like big matchups. That said, he should have to win at least ONE fucking fight in the last however many years before getting a title shot.

He's a money fight. Fuck contenders

Put him on a FS1 card with a bunch of no names and have his opponent be Matt Brown or Hendricks. See how big of a name he really is and see how many casuals actually come to see him. His chance to prove his point.

Who would have said Robbie Lawler was a contender back during GSP's reign?

I think Nick saying people fighting HIM would be an opportunity is insane. I love the guy but he hasn't recorded a win since 2011 and hasn't finished a UFC fight since UFC 65. The guy has notoriously lost EVERY big UFC fight he has been in except for maybe the Robbie Lawler fight in 2004. Why should Diaz get a fight against Woodley? Anybody with a solid gameplan beats the guy, he gets frustrated to easy and falls apart. Diaz vs Wonderboy sounds good to me

IMO, Diaz is a true complete fighter, just look at the gsp fight, who looked worse? I know by judges Diaz lost. But, if there were not rounds and time but a fight to the finish, I think Diaz would win. He is a master at using his body type to a fight.

I would like to see Diaz vs. Wonderboy as well. I think Wonderboy desrves a title shot but if not give him Diaz then a title shot in my opinion.

His last finish of a fighter that he won was Paul Daley .... why make a distinction that he hasn't in the UFC since 2004 ?

IMO, Diaz is a true complete fighter, just look at the gsp fight, who looked worse? I know by judges Diaz lost. But, if there were not rounds and time but a fight to the finish, I think Diaz would win. He is a master at using his body type to a fight.
I do believe GSP is the GOAT, and boggles my mind when people try and argue differently (I guess one could be made for Jones only imo). But I couldn't agree with your statement more. In a fight where there are no rounds or time, I couldn't think of a better fighter than Nick. I'd easily him over his other 2 losses as well.

Give him the title shot most of us dont care about when his last win was he did pretty good against some huge names he would be the next welter weight champion if they dare give him it.

He never was a contender. I have never worried about him getting that belt. He can talk himself into title fights every month, but he'll never win the big fight. His best shot was going to be against Lawler and now another guy that is a horrible matchup for him has the belt. The last time Nick beat a guy that is a true 170+ lber in the UFC was 2004. He has a big fan base, so he gets big fights, but that means very little to me.

Happy Birthday, Nick!

Nick looks like he's been training. He looks stronger than he did a few years ago. I'd say he has a few more "money" fights left in him. But a run at the title? Even as a die hard fan, for me, he has to step in and prove it. He hasn't fought much lately.

I'd love to see him against Maia or Wonderboy, too. But those are two guys who have earned title shots.

Yeah, in the fact that rankings mean jack nada to the UFC. Diaz sells fights. Little brother is in the limelight, so what better time for Nick to come back and get a fight or two to set him up for a shot. If GSP is champ, then he doesn't win, but he can beat Woodley, who is really, really overrated based on this one win. Nate Diaz has Conor's number, but he will never hold gold. Nick on the other hand is the real deal.

If the NSAC would pull head from ass, and not worry about weed, he would have been in the WW discussion a long time ago.

Heck Yeah!

giphy.gif

His last finish of a fighter that he won was Paul Daley .... why make a distinction that he hasn't in the UFC since 2004 ?

Because fighting in the UFC and Strikeforce are two huge differences. Do your research, tons of big names have came over and do terrible in the UFC . It's the biggest stage and shows what he is really capable of. Btw, he was nearly knocked the fuck out by Daley and would have probably been finished if Daley didn't wind himself looking for a finish.

No he isn't. He hasn't been for some time now. When he fought for the belt he wasn't a legit contender. I think his fights prove that.

Back