Iowa Hawkeye Style BJJ

Oh shit.

I didn't realize that.

Cael is also turning Penn State into a Regional Olympic training center. Les Sgiman and Varner are training out of there.

They just need to get some a striking coach and they would have a hell of a staff.

It would be neat to see Cael competing in grappling or MMA but I don't see it happening.

Yep! Older wrestlers are still active and competetive in MMA. Can you imagine what could happen with a grappler of Lundells caliber training them at a much younger age?

I am certain he is helping with some BJJ "esque" moves right now with the wrestling program which obviously will give even more crossover to the sub grappling aspect of MMA.

A top 10 MT or boxing coach and I think you have one of the premeir MMA facilities in the US.

It's a little off topic but I always wanted to see Jacare enter some wrestling tournamets. I think he could have been a really good wrestler.

His best takedowns seem to love the collar, I'm not saying he couldn't adapt or succeed, but he really kicks the shit out of people by using the gi to enhance his take downs.

His best takedowns seem to love the collar, I'm not saying he couldn't adapt or succeed, but he really kicks the shit out of people by using the gi to enhance his take downs.

We are talking about Jacare, if he cant find the collar he will use your collarbone instead.

:)

Ricky Lundell is the shit. It's a bummer he's not in town anymore...

Master Pak has said Bobby Douglas wants to start an MMA club here on more than one occasion. If it ever happened, GMP wouldn't have anything to do with it...bummer...

When I clicked on this thread initially, I thought it'd be about the Iowa BJJ Club. I can vouch for both that and Judo. I've trained with/played against some of those guys for the last 5 years, if anyone in that area is looking for some places to train, definitely check that out.

Ricky Lundell is the shit. It's a bummer he's not in town anymore...

Master Pak has said Bobby Douglas wants to start an MMA club here on more than one occasion. If it ever happened, GMP wouldn't have anything to do with it...bummer...

When I clicked on this thread initially, I thought it'd be about the Iowa BJJ Club. I can vouch for both that and Judo. I've trained with/played against some of those guys for the last 5 years, if anyone in that area is looking for some places to train, definitely check that out.

Do any of the Hawkeye wrestlers participate in the BJJ club?

It's a little off topic but I always wanted to see Jacare enter some wrestling tournamets. I think he could have been a really good wrestler.

It's possible. He has a strong no gi game (obviously) and a solid judo background even before bjj.

Do any of the Hawkeye wrestlers participate in the BJJ club?

When I was in college (at a D III school though), a lot of the wrestlers came to our bjj club. Their physicality and pinning alone were good enough so that they could hang with the less experienced blues without getting subbed (although they couldn't do anything offensively besides stay on top either). In my experience, bjj guys respect wrestlers and are curious about wrestling, and vice versa.

When I was in college (at a D III school though), a lot of the wrestlers came to our bjj club. Their physicality and pinning alone were good enough so that they could hang with the less experienced blues without getting subbed (although they couldn't do anything offensively besides stay on top either). In my experience, bjj guys respect wrestlers and are curious about wrestling, and vice versa.

I def agree. I was a backup on a D1 program and we had a few guys that did grappling.

I was interested in knowing if guys from Iowa in particular dabbled in BJJ while in school. That is a school where you wrestle year round, as soon as NCAA's are over you switch to the freestyle club trying out for Worls, Jr worlds and University worlds.

I wasn't sure if Brands would frown on them taking time and energy away from wrestling.

I know Jake Herbert said he was doing BJJ.

Oh shit.

I didn't realize that.

Cael is also turning Penn State into a Regional Olympic training center. Les Sgiman and Varner are training out of there.

They just need to get some a striking coach and they would have a hell of a staff.

It would be neat to see Cael competing in grappling or MMA but I don't see it happening.

fortune favors the bold man, because iirc he was getting shit back in the day for expressing an interest in mma. He's getting up there now, but still that would be badass.

fortune favors the bold man, because iirc he was getting shit back in the day for expressing an interest in mma. He's getting up there now, but still that would be badass.

From what I know Cael does not believe coaches should compete for whatever reason. So if he quit wrestling in his prime to coach I don't see him doing anything else. But then again maybe he was burnt out from competing and just said that.

He is still pretty young 31.

The 2 bjj players that move and act most like wrestlers (to me) are Jacare and Ricky Lundell (I know, I know, he wrestled for ISU too).

As a wrestler from Iowa, I grapple a lot differently than most pure bjj players. A lot of bjj guys can't use explosiveness and speed the same as we can, so if they try it at lower levels they get owned. However, I've had a lot of success using my explosiveness and more unique style against high level bjj players. I'm just used to moving like that and still being able to be technically sound.

Jacare.

Watching his match with Drysdale he was constantly in Robert's face, using his forehead/hands to control the tie, would angle-off well and explode with every shot (sometimes even crashing into the crowd to complete the takedown.)

The Hawkeye style is perfect positioning, hand fighting, and constant offense and attacking at angles.

There is not a Hawkeye that scarifices technique for anything.

But lets not forget that they also had some of the funkiest wrestlers ever like Randy Lewis and Rico Chiapparelli

well put

Back