Iowa Hawkeye Style BJJ

Lol ^^^
I think maybe Terere he was a pretty in you're face kind of dude
BTW: Didn't the Iowa St dudes bring in a BJJ Black Belt to teach them sweeps and shit?

Ehhh the other way around. The BJJ BB joined the wrestling club to learn to wrestle.

In the process some of the wrestlers picked up a sweep or 2 when they are caught on their backs.

Lol ^^^
I think maybe Terere he was a pretty in you're face kind of dude
BTW: Didn't the Iowa St dudes bring in a BJJ Black Belt to teach them sweeps and shit?

That would be Cael sanderson and yes he did.

But now he is at Penn State baby!!

That would be Cael sanderson and yes he did.

But now he is at Penn State baby!!

yep, they have some clips online with Cael showing wrestling and Lundell showing submissions.

Going to be interesting what develops. We have seen many World Class BJJ guys develop wrestling. I am wondering what it will look like when top level wrestlers REALLY intergrate submissions grappling back into the sport on a regular basis.

I am not just talking about "wrasslers" picking up subs for MMA, but for the sake of grappling only.

Wouldn't Roger be this.

He is very technical and and constantly pushing and looking for the finish?

Wouldn't Roger be this.

He is very technical and and constantly pushing and looking for the finish?

Yeah but he's not as physically intense and hyper-aggressive. He's aggressive, no doubt, because he always goes for a finish, but he's more of an opportunist in my opinion (I mean that in a good way).

Yeah but he's not as physically intense and hyper-aggressive. He's aggressive, no doubt, because he always goes for a finish, but he's more of an opportunist in my opinion (I mean that in a good way).

I got you.

I was thinking, he sticks to the basics and improves on them them (Hand fighting and shooting at angles).

Patience is not a Hawkeye characteristic for the most part though

I teach a no gi class at our gym based primarily on wrestling technique. Rather than "Iowa style," wrestling in general lends itself very well to competition. If you've got a white belt who goes out after going off his knees for two months and butt scooting because the more advanced guys are doing it he is going to get a serious eye opener when a white belt wrestler drops him on his head and mauls him on the mat. He'll have cow eyes and become turned off of competing.
The benefit is getting rid of your neck while hand fighting/standing and knowing how to take a hand in the face, a proper sprawl and re-shot, learning how to be the aggressor and set the pace is a nice advantage. I prefer to score on the takedown then work from the top but that's my background.

Did you fellas mean Ricky Lundell?

Ricky Lundell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I knew the Pedro Sauer set in MD. Ju jits and wrestling harmonized when Coach Cael agreed to this exchange.

Yeah I think thats him.

I'm pretty sure he didn't go out for the team until his senior year though which really sucks that they only had a year to work together like that.

I remember stories about Cael and Lundell trying to adapt sweeps for wrestling.

Lundell went to a tournament and hit some kind of modified triangle but got called for a touchfall.

Thats the problem you are playing a dangerous game rolling over your back in wrestling.

There was a kid in PA back in the day who won a state title off the Cement series. He would always end up on his butt/hip and then sweep the guy over with some form of the cement job. I think it was Ryan McCallum from Northampton.

Jacare is super aggressive. He's my BJJ-inspiration lol.

Jacare is super aggressive. He's my BJJ-inspiration lol.

It's a little off topic but I always wanted to see Jacare enter some wrestling tournamets. I think he could have been a really good wrestler.

Yeah I think thats him.

I'm pretty sure he didn't go out for the team until his senior year though which really sucks that they only had a year to work together like that.

I remember stories about Cael and Lundell trying to adapt sweeps for wrestling.

Lundell went to a tournament and hit some kind of modified triangle but got called for a touchfall.

Thats the problem you are playing a dangerous game rolling over your back in wrestling.

There was a kid in PA back in the day who won a state title off the Cement series. He would always end up on his butt/hip and then sweep the guy over with some form of the cement job. I think it was Ryan McCallum from Northampton.

Cael and Lundell are still working together at Penn State.

YouTube - Cael Sanderson showing his Inside Single with Ricky Lundell

YouTube - Ricky Lundell and Cael Sanderson show Anaconda Choke/Front Head Lock

"Brought to you by Penn State Wrestling Camps"

I wonder if they are going to start doing sub wrestling camps in the future?

Cael and Lundell are still working together at Penn State.

YouTube - Cael Sanderson showing his Inside Single with Ricky Lundell

YouTube - Ricky Lundell and Cael Sanderson show Anaconda Choke/Front Head Lock

"Brought to you by Penn State Wrestling Camps"

I wonder if they are going to start doing sub wrestling camps in the future?

Oh shit.

I didn't realize that.

Cael is also turning Penn State into a Regional Olympic training center. Les Sgiman and Varner are training out of there.

They just need to get some a striking coach and they would have a hell of a staff.

It would be neat to see Cael competing in grappling or MMA but I don't see it happening.

Back