Interval Training Resources?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Seb Shaw, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Seb Shaw

Seb Shaw Yellow Belt

I am looking for resources (books, websites, videos) for putting together my own interval training (and high intensity interval training) routines. Any recommendations?

2. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

What are your goals?

3. Seb Shaw

Seb Shaw Yellow Belt

Improved cardio/endurance for the training and competition phase of my annual program.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

How helpfully vague.

5. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Verkhoshansky's "Programming and organization of training" would be a good resource for that.

6. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

RossTraining.com has some pre-packaged routines you can find, and a lot of the people who have training logs there are very conditioning-focused.

If by "competition" you are referring to PL or StrongMan comps, then I have no idea.

7. Seb Shaw

Seb Shaw Yellow Belt

Thanks, I'm looking at Verkhoshansky book now and it seems to be similar to Bompa's periodization stuff which I have found very helpful. Let's see if it has anything on HIIT program design...

Teddy - are those routines on the forums section of the site? By competition I'm referring to the in-season active training/competing parts of the year rather than the off-season when most of the max strength training is done. The sport of I have in mind is mainly Judo, not strongman competition LOL!

8. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

I don't really know where they are to be honest, I just know he has some pre-designed programming floating around for combat sport athletes. If you are reading Verkoshansky's and Bompa's work, you probably don't need someone to be pre-designing for you.

8 Weeks Out (8weeksout.com) is a decent book on conditioning for a combat sport athlete, which provides a template for self-programming, as well as an outline of more than a few different methodologies of addressing HIIT.

If you have specific questions, it is likely someone around here would be willing to answer them for you. If you are just looking for resources, I would suggest 8 Weeks Out. It's more easily digestable than Verkoshanky's stuff (though the theory and methodology is primarily based in Verkoshanky's work), and provides reasonable programming templates.

9. Seb Shaw

Seb Shaw Yellow Belt

The book of Bompa's that I have is specific to strength training, hopefully the Verkhoshansky book has stuff on conditioning as well.

The 8 week out book could be what I'm looking for though. Thanks for that!

10. EddieLovesYou

EddieLovesYou Blue Belt

8 Weeks Out is it