• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

intermitant fasting

The bottom line is for people with higher BF whose most important goal is simply weight loss, I think a better approach would be to do fewer but longer fasts throughout the week. The key is to train yourself to listen to your body better and focus on the physiological effects of food. This in turn leads to a healthier lifestyle and a much healthier attitude towards eating.

Once you get into low teens then I could see having to get stricter to see similar results. Anyway, I'll let you know when I get there :)

I do 18/6 right now but have found that longer fasts do result in greater weight loss - but I'd have to change my lifestyle significantly in order to do alternate day fasting. I have also found that the longer a fast, it seems to have a "rollercoaster" effect and builds up effectiveness as time goes on. That being said, I don't think its wise to fast longer than 72 hours without very careful micronutrient supplementation, to say nothing of the curious social effect that would have.

Does anyone take Bcaa's during an 16 hour fast? I usually take about 3 grams if I go past the 18 hour mark. I made it to an 20 hour fast the other day but I was so damn irritable

what about micro supps? are these permitted in IF? multis, fish oil and stuff like that? fishoil maybe not because of the calories?

i have taken bcaa's during my fasts. after reading the sources im thinking 2x24hr fasts might be more beneficial than 5x16hr

I do 18/6 right now but have found that longer fasts do result in greater weight loss - but I'd have to change my lifestyle significantly in order to do alternate day fasting. I have also found that the longer a fast, it seems to have a "rollercoaster" effect and builds up effectiveness as time goes on. That being said, I don't think its wise to fast longer than 72 hours without very careful micronutrient supplementation, to say nothing of the curious social effect that would have.

I've never done more than about 24 hours or so and honestly don't see a need to either. Maybe I'll try it some time but honestly I don't see the point.

i have taken bcaa's during my fasts. after reading the sources im thinking 2x24hr fasts might be more beneficial than 5x16hr

This is kind of the conclusion I came to earlier and which I sort of discussed above. To get the full benefits of the shorter fasts you have to be way more precise with your nutrient intake and much more disciplined.

In short, it still feels like dieting. The way I've been doing IF, it just feels very natural.

It's not wise to fast for anywhere close to 72 hours. You stop receiving the major benefits of IF long before then, mainly because you're actually starving and your hormones go haywire.

For those that do 24 hour alternate fasting, do you have the equivalent of 4 large meals a day versus 3? Not sure if that makes sense, but I can't just imagine eating all day - I guess some of the food you would have eaten on the fast day is transferring to the feed day.

Also why only 2 days a week? Why not 4 or 3 days a week? Just seems like such a awkward social eating schedule. I should probably just suck it up and finally get around to reading Eat Stop Eat

Last edited:
I just lost 30lbs doing 16/8 but I'm always hungry.

My macros are good. In fact my carbs are a little too low. I work rotating shifts and have a bunch of other variables.

I went from 245 ish to 211 (last night). I eat so clean now and don't even crave fast food. I'm going off the IF diet but it did me a lot of good.

gone from 214lbs to 191lbs in 3 months. I have kept most of my strength, and BJJ has been great fasted, very focused. I've got about 6 more lbs to get to my goal body fat.

I can't wait til I'm over my injury and able to get back to BJJ and train fasted. I've spoke to one guy who's trained fasted and he said that he feels more focussed, stronger and sharper. But it raises questions about competing in a fasted state, specifically, whether or not the lack of carbohydrates would decrease intensity? I know that Martin Berkhan mentioned a study whereby VO2 max was higher in the non fasted group, but I haven't read the study to figure out if this was due to carbohydrate availability or other factors.

I can't wait til I'm over my injury and able to get back to BJJ and train fasted. I've spoke to one guy who's trained fasted and he said that he feels more focussed, stronger and sharper. But it raises questions about competing in a fasted state, specifically, whether or not the lack of carbohydrates would decrease intensity? I know that Martin Berkhan mentioned a study whereby VO2 max was higher in the non fasted group, but I haven't read the study to figure out if this was due to carbohydrate availability or other factors.

As long as you're not glycogen depleted I don't think it will make a difference.

I train fasted and I love it.

As long as you're not glycogen depleted I don't think it will make a difference.

I train fasted and I love it.

though I'm still very new at BJJ, I don't think I would compete fasted. I would think its typically a long day with more than one match.

I'n that case a glucose pill can kick your liver in w/o the crash.

QUOTE]

Thanks I'll bear that in mind! I'd love to do my masters research project on competing fasted, however, I won't be able to replicate the competition environment in a lab, or gain any quantitative data if I did it at a competition. I'll sure as hell try and find a way!

though I'm still very new at BJJ, I don't think I would compete fasted. I would think its typically a long day with more than one match.

Keep in mind that white belt matches are usually the first matches, so if you break your fast later in the day it shouldn't impact your feeding window.

I've been having amazing results going on/off IF for the past few years.

I'm back on now but about 5 days a week I'm waking up with terrible abdominal pain and bloating. I've been eating a lot of greens and also supplementing my fiber. My bowel movements are not regular at all. I'll be in crippling abdonimal pain for about two hours until I pass gas to relieve the bloat/pain. Normally black coffee helps a bit.

Can anyone please advise? Being stubborn, I want to max out a home remedy/fix before seeing a doctor.

Back