Interesting UFC Jet Li Story from back in the day...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With what is happening in modern MMA. I like to share forgotten stories and one of them involves a story with Karo Parisyan talking to Randy Couture. In the interview, Karo mentioned that they did a movie with Jet Li, I believe Cradle 2 the Grave. Karo was an extra but Randy was in a scene with Jet Li.

They started talking about Jet Li and at first, it was about Jet Li's skills and Randy was telling him how he had freakishly fast kicks and arm movements. They mentioned he was Jet Li was super nice guy, no attitude, very affable and he had crazy fast speed.

This was pre-TUF when UFC was still in its infancy and even though they were not sold on Kung Fu/Wushu effectiveness, they were deeply impressed by Jet Lis speed and quickness he displayed and that when they were talking about martial arts and exchanging techniques and ideas, Randy mentioned that there was something special about Jet Li and that if nothing else, he was in an excellent shape and does deserve the respect he gets even if he was not combat sports fighter.

Chuck and Tito were in that movie too. Chuck said Jet Li was cool but nothing to write home about. Chuck said he was more impressed with Chriss Angel who happened to be on set for a lot of the filming as he was friends with the director. Tito who was also much more impressed with Chriss Angel liked Jet Li but had him confused with Jackie Chan and it wasn't until the premier of the film that it was explained to him that they are two different people.

Chuck and Tito were in that movie too. Chuck said Jet Li was cool but nothing to write home about. Chuck said he was more impressed with Chriss Angel who happened to be on set for a lot of the filming as he was friends with the director. Tito who was also much more impressed with Chriss Angel liked Jet Li but had him confused with Jackie Chan and it wasn't until the premier of the film that it was explained to him that they are two different people.

Makes sense. Chuck is not really impressed by anyone from what I noticed. Lol Tito being Tito. This is like most Tito shit ever!

Randy was impressed by his speed and movement more so than his skills.

Now for the real UFC flick...Virtuosity

virtuosity-throw.gif

Makes sense. Chuck is not really impressed by anyone from what I noticed. Lol Tito being Tito. This is like most Tito shit ever!

Randy was impressed by his speed and movement more so than his skills.
Chuck actually became friends with Chriss and was on an episode of his Mind Freak show where he socked him in the stomach. Chuck tried to get into his friend circle but Chriss liked Randy more from what I can gather. All 3 of them still hang tho to this day.
1703210438705.png1703210452670.png
That is Chriss Angel in the middle. He looks different now.

Chuck actually became friends with Chriss and was on an episode of his Mind Freak show where he socked him in the stomach. Chuck tried to get into his friend circle but Chriss liked Randy more from what I can gather. All 3 of them still hang tho to this day.
View attachment 1019062View attachment 1019063
That is Chriss Angel in the middle. He looks different now.

Holy shit!

He really does look different. He looks Turkish/Iranian. Chuck and Randy look healthy.

With what is happening in modern MMA. I like to share forgotten stories and one of them involves a story with Karo Parisyan talking to Randy Couture. In the interview, Karo mentioned that they did a movie with Jet Li, I believe Cradle 2 the Grave. Karo was an extra but Randy was in a scene with Jet Li.

They started talking about Jet Li and at first, it was about Jet Li's skills and Randy was telling him how he had freakishly fast kicks and arm movements. They mentioned he was Jet Li was super nice guy, no attitude, very affable and he had crazy fast speed.

This was pre-TUF when UFC was still in its infancy and even though they were not sold on Kung Fu/Wushu effectiveness, they were deeply impressed by Jet Lis speed and quickness he displayed and that when they were talking about martial arts and exchanging techniques and ideas, Randy mentioned that there was something special about Jet Li and that if nothing else, he was in an excellent shape and does deserve the respect he gets even if he was not combat sports fighter.
MMA fighter or not, If your fast beyond the human eye can read your something else. I remember in TUF, they said AS was a ninja on his feet, meaning, he was that dam fast...I believe in speed and the gift in that and in what it can do ..MMA fighter or not, I think you could learn from people like that with crazy speed...Just wish AS told Steven Seagal to F off... A real 1980's movie would be AS starting off saying, "Who the Fuck is that guy," ...then Steven Seagal running away from AS through the slums of Brazil with the Nogueira Brothers in the background trying to feed a truck a carrot.

Last edited:

He also beat Tito there. Tito with his Punishment t-shirt and his fire trunks
I love Jet Li, gotta rewatch some of his stuff.
Actually did, rewatched War (or Rogue, with Jason Statham). It's ok, but far from his best.
Li and Statham actually starred together in 5 movies, I just read.

2003 wasn't the "infancy" of the UFC. It was 10 years old then. Sadly, UFC stars weren't invited to make movies in 1993-94. The closest thing to that was Tank Abbott on a Friends episode in 1997.

MMA fighter or not, If your fast beyond the human eye can read your something else. I remember in TUF, they said AS was a ninja on his feet, meaning, he was that dam fast...I believe in speed and the gift in that and in what it can do ..MMA fighter or not, I think you could learn from people like that with crazy speed...Just wish AS told Steven Seagal to F off... A real 1980's movie would be AS starting off saying, "Who the Fuck is that guy," ...then Steven Seagal running away from AS through the slums of Brazil with the Nogueira Brothers in the background trying to feed a truck a carrot.
Starting your holiday drinking early, eh?

Back