Interesting exchange on Judo, Karo vs Sokoudjou

BSFT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Article on the Impact FC press conference on the front page, Josh Barnett initiates a funny little Judo v Judo tif between Karo Parysian and Sokoudjou...

When Ferreira's opponent, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, spoke, it was again Barnett who took the media reins.

"Your background is in judo, but you prefer to use your muay Thai in fights," Barnett earnestly inquired. "Why do you not use the skills you've worked on your whole life?"

"Well, with fighters like Arona or Nogueira, if I throw them, they'll submit me. That's why I focus on striking, what I love to do," Sokoudjou explained. "With judo, you just throw, there's not so much ground game."

"Not exactly, but whatever," the roaming Parisyan interjected from the back of the room. The room fell silent. With no response, Parisyan rolled his eyes to discredit the Cameroonian, whom he actually beat in judo competition nearly a decade ago.

there's some other good stuff in the article as well.

Fraternizing, Giant Puddle Dominate Impact FC Presser

wow, sounds like that was a mess of a press conference

Well I think you have to consider that Karo trained under Gokor, who really taught his own brand of judo, including a lot of leglocks and other things that traditional judo schools don't teach. I'm sure Karo's judo training had a much greater submission emphasis than Sokoudjou, who originally trained exclusively for sport competition (although Karo also competed in sport judo).

Karo beat predators when he was how old? Also- Judo Gene Lebell taught Karo- Gokor and Karo don't get along.

Karo beat predators when he was how old? Also- Judo Gene Lebell taught Karo- Gokor and Karo don't get along.

i found a clip that was uploaded in 2007, no idea how old it was then...

I could be wrong here, but I think the fallout between Gokor and Karo is fairly recent, the past few years or so at most. Gokor taught Karo, with teaching probably supplemented by Judo Gene (who is friends with Gokor and teaches at Hyastan Academy as well, unless I'm mistaken).

Im probly going to get blasted for saying this, but did Karo win that match with a duck under to a single leg?

I could be wrong here, but I think the fallout between Gokor and Karo is fairly recent, the past few years or so at most. Gokor taught Karo, with teaching probably supplemented by Judo Gene (who is friends with Gokor and teaches at Hyastan Academy as well, unless I'm mistaken).

What was the falling out over?

ITwas 10 years ago ! GOKOR AND GENE both taught KARO . KARO is a good guy with problems. RESPECT to GOKOR and his gym is one problem.

yes. he must be a catch guy... :icon_chee

LOL you read my mind!!!!!!:redface: Honestly, 10 seconds before that happened i was thinking to myself why doesn't someone just shoot a double, because that wouldn't be Judo was my answer......then BAM!:eek: its over.

LOL you read my mind!!!!!!:redface: Honestly, 10 seconds before that happened i was thinking to myself why doesn't someone just shoot a double, because that wouldn't be Judo was my answer......then BAM!:eek: its over.

i'm sure a Judo guy could answer, but didn't the change the rules to where now you are not allowed to grab the legs at all?

i'm sure a Judo guy could answer, but didn't the change the rules to where now you are not allowed to grab the legs at all?

As far as I know, now that would be an illegal takedown

You can still grab the leg but it can't be your first attack and you have to have some from of contact with the upper body still is how I heard it explained. I avoid them though because it is fuzzy what is and isn't legal, it is safer to not do leg attacks because the risk of getting DQ'd isn't worth it.

You can still grab the leg but it can't be your first attack and you have to have some from of contact with the upper body still is how I heard it explained. I avoid them though because it is fuzzy what is and isn't legal, it is safer to not do leg attacks because the risk of getting DQ'd isn't worth it.

Refs also do have different interpretations of the rules too which doesn't help

The fallout was within the past 5 years, so it was very recent. Karo now credits Gene as his teacher and mentor. I don't think it would be appropriate or me or anyone that knows to discuss any details that are only important to Karo and Gokor. BUT.... how do all fall outs happen? Things gradually build up over time and resentments and grievances become too much for people to overcome in their relationships and sometimes it is better to part ways and grow separately than together.

Back