Intentionally prolonged beatdowns?

Fair enough. But I was talking about bad blood fights where one opponent had the opportunity to safely prolong the beating of his opponent.

If you feel like your cardio is more than fine and your opponent is dead tired, you could just hit him hard enough to damage him, but light enough for him to be able to show intelligent defence and for ref not to stop it. I'm sure it's doable.
This goes against the point of the sport honestly. Theres so many ways that this could work against you

Fair enough. But I was talking about bad blood fights where one opponent had the opportunity to safely prolong the beating of his opponent.

If you feel like your cardio is more than fine and your opponent is dead tired, you could just hit him hard enough to damage him, but light enough for him to be able to show intelligent defence and for ref not to stop it. I'm sure it's doable.
Its definitely possible, if that's what you want to do, but does anyone really think like that when they're in the middle of a fight? I kinda doubt it, even with bad blood. You might want to ko someone extra hard, or hold onto a sub extra long, but I'm not sure about keeping someone alive when you can finish them. You would have to be some kind of sociopath, or close to it to be that cool and calculated. Well, now that I think about it, MVP used to kind of do that? Fuck around instead of finishing fights?

This goes against the point of the sport honestly. Theres so many ways that this could work against you
It's not against the rules? Isn't it? And I'm talking about that 1% of the fights where there is legitimately bad blood between the fighters. Maybe even less than 1% TBH.

It's not against the rules? Isn't it? And I'm talking about that 1% of the fights where there is legitimately bad blood between the fighters. Maybe even less than 1% TBH.

Hey,Remember when Fedor was beating the shit out of Nogueira in the first fight? He was hittin nog with evertything he had and couldnt knock the guy out. At the end of the first round,Nog reversed him..Fedor was able to regain control,but it just goes to show,to highlight,that you dont do this stupid ass bullshit. You dont like the guy? theres bad blood? go in there and put that fuckin guy away,before you look like the dumbest idiot in the world,which im sure how saku felt after he got koed by a damn jiu jitsu guy.

Anderson letting Sonnen beat him up for 4 whole rounds just so he could submit him in the 5th

<36>

Yep same situation jhonson was rocked here... You're not even good a troling
I don't understand what your point is? That Khabib had bad fight IQ because he submitted Johnson with a kimura instead of punching him?

Johnson wasn't rocked, he just got taken down repeatedly, couldn't get up, and got punched a head a lot. But they weren't knockout punches. Maybe Khabib would rather just submit a guy and get it over with than punch him unnecessarily for 2 or 3 more minutes

don't be lazy, read the whole 3 paragraphs, you goof
With the beatdown of Anthony Smith still fresh in our minds, I'm asking you: do you remember a bad blood fight when the one fighter got to choose to prolong the fight or not, he choose to prolong it just to deliver more damage to his opponent? (It doesn't need to be from UFC.) Jon could not follow up with that feroucious GnP on Cormier in their rematch. Cormier was pushing that hard of a pace, he would be a punching bag in the next rounds regardless of the knockdown. I know that Khabib wanted to punish Conor, for example. And he could, but chose to end the fight. He absolutely could beat him up in the next round and a half.

Because I swear I never saw one single intentionally prolonged beatdown. And it's a shame. Because some of us fans live for this shit. These people hate each other in the guts and when they have the chance to make a statement, 100% of the time they chose to finish their enemy on the spot, instead of beating him up in the course of 3 or 5 rounds. And from experience we know how much, much worse is to slowly beat someone for 15 mins within the inch of his life, than to just choke him or knock him out.

Every prolonged beatdown I saw happened by chance, tho. Some bad ref or corner in combination with a guy that is unable to finish the fight and his opponent is too tough for his own good. And it's ugly because a lot of the times it's unnecessary. There are no story to follow. No bad vs good guy. Usually people who get in these are nice guys that we all love and would like to get to fight another day, not to get maimed. Who wants to see Lionheart fucked up? Or an older example: Gavin Tucker?
Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega but there was no bad blood

Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega but there was no bad blood
I don't think that Max did that in purpose. It looked to me that he is just not a one shot KO artist and Ortega is a tough nut to crack.

If it's a bad blood kind of fight, I would assume it'd suck soooo hard to lose; and this is why it's more logical not to take chances.

You play this showoff bullshit with people they might come back and KO you.

Exactly. Now imagine having your opponent (with bad blood) having that bragging right over you just because you didn't take your chance to finish.

Reactions: HHJ
CM Punk vs the journalist guy.
haha, perfect answer
Oh damn, this is actually a good answer to the initial question. That fight still sucked though.
Rumor has it Mike Jackson (the journalist guy) bet on himself BY DECISION. Most bookies had this prop at +300 or more. If true, very smart move. He probably won more from this bet than from the fight. He knows he won't fight ever again in UFC irrespective of how he looks in the fight with Punk.

cm punks decision loss in ufc
guy coulda finished him, but just kept hitting him, not quite hard enough to get a stoppage

when bj beat pulver, he skipped a finish to beat on him extra for awhile

I don't understand what your point is? That Khabib had bad fight IQ because he submitted Johnson with a kimura instead of punching him?

Johnson wasn't rocked, he just got taken down repeatedly, couldn't get up, and got punched a head a lot. But they weren't knockout punches. Maybe Khabib would rather just submit a guy and get it over with than punch him unnecessarily for 2 or 3 more minutes
Go back i read my fuking messages i said MAYBE it was bad fight iq but i also said that I DON'T BELIVE IT WAS BECAUSE HE HAS GOOD FIGHT IQ AND THATS WHY I THINK HE TRIED TO PROLONG THE FIGHT JUST TO HURT CONOR GODDAMN IT

Go back i read my fuking messages i said MAYBE it was bad fight iq but i also said that I DON'T BELIVE IT WAS BECAUSE HE HAS GOOD FIGHT IQ AND THATS WHY I THINK HE TRIED TO PROLONG THE FIGHT JUST TO HURT CONOR GODDAMN IT
But going for a kimura isn't trying to prolong the fight, it's trying to end it, and it's probably going to be less damaging than dozens of ground strikes assuming the guy taps

Meh, sometimes fighters are asking for it. Tony and Smith are recent examples.

Because thats a risky move, if you have a guy rocked and in a bad position especially when you're standed up and the guy on the ground why would you go to side mount and attenpt a subimission? He just needed to keep going but yeah i don't belive it was fight iq because khabib has very good fight iq. Thats why i belive he wanted to give conor a serious injury, remember that in the end of the fight he didn't want to let go of conor
Maybe he wanted to preserve his stamina

Back