instructional dvds

46and2 said:
Yeah, I was wondering about Mario Sperry's Dvd's too. I was also wondering if the fisrt set is worth getting if you are not gonna get the other two sets? I mean is there stuff that isn't in the first set that might be necessary for continuing without a club. I don't have a club because there is no jiu-jitsu within 2 hours of my house. Is it still godd with your buddies? I heard you guys say you can't go wrong with em but i have to be sure before i spend 200 bucks on them.

Sperry's 1st set alone is sufficient. I haven't seen the 2nd set, but have heard it is very repetitive of the 1st set. Obviously, no instructional is gonna cover every single thing, but it's a great start if you have a training partner.

PS- Don't pay $200- you can find the set for $150 or less on ebay.

krellik said:
Another good option is Bas big dvd which is extensive but whery unorthodox in some aspects. It is propably best watched with some grappling knowledge already.

Agreed, except I wouldn't call it a good option for a beginning grappler at all. The striking stuff is good, but the grappling, if I remember correctly, seemed like a bunch of dodgy submissions and escapes thrown together without much of a framework beneath them.

Orphangrinder said:
Agreed, except I wouldn't call it a good option for a beginning grappler at all. The striking stuff is good, but the grappling, if I remember correctly, seemed like a bunch of dodgy submissions and escapes thrown together without much of a framework beneath them.

Well Bas submission dvds are -packed- with original moves to try of which many are whery good so its not a bad buy, but not the one to go for a beginer.

I've got the Saulo no gi set and would recommend them. There good even if your just starting grappling.

I found an add in Grappling magazine that has an 11 disc DVD set with Gustavo Froes for $99.95. Would they be worth getting, or would they be crap? The only reason I ask is because the Saulo Ribeiro is more expensive for the amount you get. Of course, if the instruction is crap on the Froes DVDs I'll go for the Saulo ones.

Back