instructional dvds

acropora

White Belt
Reaction score
anybody recommend good instructional dvds for bjj or vale tudo?
i was looking at mario sperry vale tudo series and cesar gracie's videos.
what do you guys think?

It all depends whether you train with your buddies, or in a club( so you only need dvds to complement your training).

If you're just starting with bjj, and you never trained in a club good dvd to start is Practical grappler (same url).These are pure basics, however, basics are always the most important. Mario Sperry has several videos, they are all good and you cannot go wrong using them. Nothing fancy, but stuff that works.Although his sport BJJ series is addressed to advanced levels, they're very clear and everyone could benefit. Although Mario covers takedowns in his tapes, I recommend you take Darell Gholar videos ( takedown for vale tudo and 9-7-5 of wrestling). I have to mention Stephen Kesting- his grappling instructionals are great- very clear and lot of details.

There are tons of istructionals out there, what exactly are you looking for?

I'm looking at buying some instructional DVDs, too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

farmboy said:
I'm looking at buying some instructional DVDs, too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What are you looking for?

I am also looking for a few videos. I have just finished building a grappling dummy, and will start in a club in 2 months. Want to get a head start.

I have "cough cough" quite a load of instructionals. Im to tired to write anything extensive + the fact that this thread pops up really often... But if in doubt for a good start in the instructional jungle get:

Roy Harris bjj 101 (for straight bjj) or for no gi Saulo extreme, or for takedowns Darrel Gholar vale tudo takedowns. Those 3 are an extremely good foundation. Another good option is Bas big dvd which is extensive but whery unorthodox in some aspects. It is propably best watched with some grappling knowledge already.

Other stuff to check out is: Stephan kesting, Erik Paulson, Mikael Jenn, Randy Coutore, Tony Cechine (get the leglock stuff!), Mark Hatmaker, Baret Yoshida, Mario Sperry, Igor Yakimov.

I have looked into a lot of them, and I have found Michael Jen's dvds to be the best entry level stuff.

www.jenbjj.com

He does a fantastic job, better than Saulo IMO because it's much more clear and systematic.

Now if you want to become the kneebar master or a spider guard terror, there's much better instructionals. For the basics, it's hard to beat the Jen stuff IMO.

i got the sperry ones. ordered them today. we will see if they any good. will keep you guys posted

acropora said:
i got the sperry ones. ordered them today. we will see if they any good. will keep you guys posted

Can't go wrong with Sperry.

Wolverine
///

The Sperry vale tudo set is pretty good. He covers a lot of the basics, and nothing too advanced for a beginner to follow. He does tend to go over some moves several times, which is a little too repetitive in some cases. That aside, the set is an excellent starting point.

Many of the moves are tailored to a real vale tudo fight, & are not that relevant in a BJJ class. His guard work is all about getting back to the feet, etc. He does not use any closed guard. The series is called "vale tudo", so thats all good. Just be aware of it.

Anybody get the Jacare DVD's ? Is it any good?

I have the Jacare (good, but overpriced), Leo Viera (good for advanced), Saulo gi (great, especially if you're a beginner), Marcelo, no gi (the best that exists)

jacares dvds are awesome but they are so damn expensive

Yeah, I was wondering about Mario Sperry's Dvd's too. I was also wondering if the fisrt set is worth getting if you are not gonna get the other two sets? I mean is there stuff that isn't in the first set that might be necessary for continuing without a club. I don't have a club because there is no jiu-jitsu within 2 hours of my house. Is it still godd with your buddies? I heard you guys say you can't go wrong with em but i have to be sure before i spend 200 bucks on them.

Marcelo Garcia DVD's are good.

Back