infighting

No, they don't try to block the slaps because they're meant to feel and find the openings. The drills above the head-positioning drill are for instilling control of distance and defense, the head-positioning drill is about facilitating offense. But if you notice, the smart ones are trying to change their positions to make it more difficult for the other to slap them.

Great drills, it's ashame more gyms don't do this kind of stuff but I will say have been to quite a few kickboxing and MT classes they do drill A LOT like this but seems to lack in most boxing gyms (atleast the "everyday" gym) But as a southpaw what is the head positioning? I didn't find a SP in the mix.

I like the concept of infighting but as the taller fighter it always feels like I'm just leveling the playing field when I engage in it.

I've never identified any advantage I can bring to bear as I'm giving up on leverage to begin with. I just clinch and lean.

Like wrestling, I think judo is beneficial.

No one was being racist or accusing anyone of it.. It's like pigeons flapping for no reason.

It's all about your tactics and strategy, even a shorter guy could out box a taller guy on the outside if he is more tactically superior and vice versa in your case tall guy on inside.

There's two Southpaws in the mix, they're just going with each other. But the head positioning is the same regardless because it's the same area of the body. You want your nose right at the opponent's ear. That's the position they're jockeying for. Either ear.

All this inside positioning discussion reminds me of this fight..George Benton vs Ruben 'Hurricane' Carter.

I dont' know much about Carter but he looked like a vicious puncher. Usually it's circle, stick, and move with a fighter like that. So at first I thought it was crazy how Benton would get up in Carters grill, head to head, just posted up on him for most of the fight. Even choosing to position himself there at times. Then to disengage he would just give Carter a shove on his biceps and send him backwards, making him reset again.

I got to thinking, Benton was probably safer inside stuffing Carters momentum with his positioning, rather than running around the ring like a chicken, letting him gain speed and momentum in those vicious hooks of his. Real master class stuff to see.

I don't know exactly how Benton did it, but there was definitely a method to it. If he lapsed for even a split second on the inside, he would have been staring up at the ring lights.

If I remember correctly, that was Benton's debut at Madison Square Garden, and his biggest fight. He said he was preoccupied with putting on a show as opposed to boxing Carter (who was indeed a very good puncher). That was always one of Georgie's faults as a fighter, excellent boxer with the disposition of a brawler. Could be drawn into wars easier than he should have been.

If I remember correctly, that was Benton's debut at Madison Square Garden, and his biggest fight. He said he was preoccupied with putting on a show as opposed to boxing Carter (who was indeed a very good puncher). That was always one of Georgie's faults as a fighter, excellent boxer with the disposition of a brawler. Could be drawn into wars easier than he should have been.

Lol, so it wasn't the optimal strategy against Carter. He was just being bullheaded. But nevertheless I feel his positioning on the inside was very relevant to the thread. The way he'd post on Carter and completely tie up his offense inside without actually "tying up" an arm, and breaking with a little shove.

I'm sure it gave Carter fits not only getting reset like that every time he got inside, but not being able to unload his offense from so close, where he's literally touching the guy. Especially that 'so close yet so far' shit really gets to a punchers head.

Feel free to shine a light on anything Benton was doing in particular, that made it so effective :) Not that i'm asking for a handout or anything.

Which i totally am.

Lol, so it wasn't the optimal strategy against Carter. He was just being bullheaded. But nevertheless I feel his positioning on the inside was very relevant to the thread. The way he'd post on Carter and completely tie up his offense inside without actually "tying up" an arm, and breaking with a little shove.

I'm sure it gave Carter fits not only getting reset like that every time he got inside, but not being able to unload his offense from so close, where he's literally touching the guy. Especially that 'so close yet so far' shit really gets to a punchers head.

Feel free to shine a light on anything Benton was doing in particular, that made it so effective :) Not that i'm asking for a handout or anything.

Which i totally am.
yea i was interested in his "tying up" i never really knew what to look for when i was watching infighting but i started to notice some things benton does
tTC8Z.gif

for example in this gif, after benton throws the left hook he pushes his left forearm against carter's shoulder and then brushes it down his arm, leaving his forearm on top of his oppenents forearm and placing his left shoulder up against the left side of carters head. then benton would put his head on carters left side,
throughout the fight benton keeps getting this position he would attack differnt sides but he always semmed to try to come back to this position. i dont really understand why that position is so desirable though

for the second part i dont think it was just his tying up and bumping aginst carter that threw him off it was also alot of movement. benton would use alot small shifts in succesion and then end up out of carters range or in carters range and right underneath his attack so benton would then be in an optimal position to counter like this gif for example

benton counters carter's agression and attack by bobbing his initial attack shoulder rolling and stepping to the side and then completing a full turn with a check hook so that he can then throw a right uppercut to carters gut.
benton13.gif

Which i totally am.

Well Georgie definitely knew HOW to fight on the inside. It was just Carter's game, and Carter was much stronger.

What can I say about Georgie's technique on the inside? It's nearly flawless. Head positioning is good. He steps at angles as much as straight back, he knows when to put his weight forward and when to pull it back. The only criticism I'd have are that he doesn't pivot enough to get Carter to turn, he'd have had more openings if he didn't stand shoulder to shoulder so much, and his punch selection. But, he stood in front of one of the strongest middleweights of the day and hurt him.

u gotta make sure you throw A LOT of uppercuts on the inside. Youre close together so theres not much room to be throwing hooks or straight punches so you really gotta dig into the uppercuts.

There's plenty room to throw any punch if you know what you're doing in there.

Thanks for the heads up on Eusebio, I liked the way he controlled distance inside. Gonna steal them drills too!

Would you say that Mike Tyson has an unorthodox inside fighting?
When I compare him with Roberto Duran for example I would say that Mike squares off and he is parallel to the opponent with a bit off space to fire his combinations while Duran is much closer to his opponent and has another position (shoulder to shoulder) or am I mistaken?

Can someone please give a little breakdown of the characterisitical differences between Roberto and Mike on the inside?

Last edited:
Tyson's style was very specific. It wasn't to actually fight inside as much as it was to get there and end the fight quickly, or force you to go back...then repeat the process of going inside again.

Ricky Hatton, on other hand, also had a wrestling background, and I think that did come through in his fights. He was a very underrated in-fighter.

Source? I've never heard that. Curious as between the football, kickboxing/boxing, doesn't seem like he would have time to have a wrestling background, and of course there is hardly any wrestling at all in the UK.

I remember reading that Willie Pep trained in wrestling specifically for Sandy Saddler. There is a great thread somewhere in the archives that looked at the historic connection between the two sports.

Back