Increase muscle endurance without changing fiber distribution

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know one way to get better muscular endurance is to do things like pushups for lots of reps, as that emphasises growth of slow twitch fibers. I was wondering if there was a better way.

I read in the FAQ and it said that high intensity aerobic work could increase the oxidative ability of fast twitch fibers. Joel Jamieson has an explosive repeat method for the same thing.

I was wondering if there are any other methods that work, which are the best, and which can be combined with max strength work the best

EDIT: also, does anyone have an article or can just explain to me exactly what endurance benefits you get from sarcasmic hypertrophy?

Last edited:
Why are you worrying about this? Just work out heavy and hard and let the chips fall where they may.

Why are you worrying about this? Just work out heavy and hard and let the chips fall where they may.

Because my muscular endurance is my biggest weak link ATM, and I want to work out a way I can train it without sacrificing strength and power gains.

Let the chips fall where they may? Fail.
For an athlete like me who can't go up in weight, I need to maintain my strength, and increase my endurance to fight more rounds with power. Why WOULDN'T I want to do exactly this?

bowlie... sarcasmic hypertrophy. i <3 u right now.

Last edited:
If muscular endurance is your problem, put together a program based on Joel Jamieson's modalities. I think that is a "better way".

Use his methods like aerobic explosive repeat (I just did this today actually), high intensity continuous intervals, high resistance intervals, aerobic strength, tempo method, threshold method, etc.

All of these will help drastically, and aren't anywhere near as complex as they may sound.

a good way to do this is to use implements such as battle ropes swing a sledge to develope muscle endurance. You can use the basic exercises (squats, deads, bench, press, clean, snatch, etc.) but top out at 60% of 1 rm but you should generally stay at 50% or below of 1 rm because you dont want force production to be the limiting factor in endurance work. Your going to have to find a way to program it so it doesnt interfere with your actual strength work though.

What is it that makes you think muscular endurance is a weak point? What is it you want muscular endurance for?

Let the chips fall where they may? Fail.
For an athlete like me who can't go up in weight, I need to maintain my strength, and increase my endurance to fight more rounds with power. Why WOULDN'T I want to do exactly this?

bowlie... sarcasmic hypertrophy. i <3 u right now.

what a typo... guess I cant pass that off as intentional? the kind of hypertrophy that only occurs when your being sarcastic?

Boxing specifically. I had my first session in about 2 years today, and we did a pad drill where you did 3X3 mins of continuous combos, with a 1 min 'rest' period of continuous straight punches. I made it all of about 2 mins into the first round before I was having trouble keeping my hands up. I was slightly out of breath but the limiting factor was the feeling of my arms being on fire.

I will have a look at joels specific muscle endurance stuff, I have looked at it in the past and thought it looked good. What I might do is finish my current 6 week cycle of anaerobic conditioning and then do a block of muscle endurance

It seems like the place to start would be more practice boxing.

Obviously im going to box more, but surely it would make sense to also do something to help the problem? If I said I was out of breath surely it would make sense to box AND run? I have also done other combat sports in the time inbetween, just boxing is obviously more arm intensive.

but surely it would make sense to also do something to help the problem?

I think you've received pretty sexy answers. This, obviously, is the most salient, given your situation:

It seems like the place to start would be more practice boxing.

As a secondary option, this is also highly relevant:

If muscular endurance is your problem, put together a program based on Joel Jamieson's modalities. I think that is a "better way".

Use his methods like aerobic explosive repeat (I just did this today actually), high intensity continuous intervals, high resistance intervals, aerobic strength, tempo method, threshold method, etc.

All of these will help drastically, and aren't anywhere near as complex as they may sound.

Joel does offer multiple modalities for improving specific qualities (including muscular endurance), which is nice if you want options. As LZD said, while they may have fancy-ish names, they are not complicated modalities; they are generally just variations on the time/timing of reps, and the time/timing of rest.

Obviously im going to box more, but surely it would make sense to also do something to help the problem? If I said I was out of breath surely it would make sense to box AND run? I have also done other combat sports in the time inbetween, just boxing is obviously more arm intensive.

A general endurance block based on the 8weekout stuff makes sense as assistance. Use shadow boxing and roadwork as your cardiac output, and consider tempo intervals using sport movements.

what a typo... guess I cant pass that off as intentional? the kind of hypertrophy that only occurs when your being sarcastic?

Well it's funny to me because so many people argue it to be "useless"

There's not a real split here between "do more boxing" and "Do S&C aimed at improving your boxing"......every time I've been in an actual boxing gym you spend as much time on general endurance as on skill training, and even a lot of the sport-specific movement is in the form of conditioning drills.

And EVERY, as in %100 of the people in that gym who were competing did significant outside conditioning work. If all they only ever worked out at the times they could make it in to get coached, they would have sucked.

Of course the OP should box more, but if he is serious about getting better at boxing, he has to do some outside work. Attributes matter in this sport, so he should improve them.

Well it's funny to me because so many people argue it to be "useless"

far from it, the problem is I dont understand exactly the sarcolplasm does.... I know it has mitrochondia in so im guessing something to do with energy production, maybe it has the muscles store of ATcP or whatever it is as well

In the other thread you outline only boxing once a week.That's the biggest issue with your endurance

Back