Incline vs. Flat Bench Press

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!! Good thing you posted that for us, because we all give a shit, dumbass knob-rider.

You must be new and dont know the comedy that Bort likes to put on. Calm down.

Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that incline focuses on chest less than flat, but on shoulders and triceps more? Or that incline focuses on chest as well as flat but also focuses more on shoulders and triceps?

Incline involves the shoulders more than flat benching does. I also think that it slightly involves the triceps more than flat benching does. Incline benching definately builds the shoulders more than it builds your flat bench. It's a great assistance exercise as long as it doesn't bother your shoulders.

That makes perfect sense.

What about Decline benching? Does it focus even more on the chest?

I recently read in Starting Strength that Rippetoe feels the decline bench is about as useful to strength training as masturbation. I think masturbation is useful but when it comes to training I'm going to defer to Rippetoe :D.

My intention is not to be a jerk with this response. I just wanted to point out Rippetoe's thoughts.

I think that it has to do more with how the decline bench is commonly preformed, ie, load up the weight, and then press the weight up and back using the angle and the shortened range of motion that causes MR to say its useless. I do doing declines ( occasionally ) with a narrow grip ( and a pause ) and pushing straight up as opposed to the up and back gym rat style.

I recently read in Starting Strength that Rippetoe feels the decline bench is about as useful to strength training as masturbation. I think masturbation is useful but when it comes to training I'm going to defer to Rippetoe :D.

My intention is not to be a jerk with this response. I just wanted to point out Rippetoe's thoughts.

Anything that is as useful as masturbation has my full support.

I think that it has to do more with how the decline bench is commonly preformed, ie, load up the weight, and then press the weight up and back using the angle and the shortened range of motion that causes MR to say its useless. I do doing declines ( occasionally ) with a narrow grip ( and a pause ) and pushing straight up as opposed to the up and back gym rat style.

Thanks for the input Keith.

Why do you declines that way?

just for variety, a little more tricep action

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!! Good thing you posted that for us, because we all give a shit, dumbass knob-rider.

you should shut the fuck up before Barut gets back, and more to the point of the thread, one is not better than the other and you should train both of them equally. having said that...SOHPMOTHERFUCKER!!!!

I like steep incline press with dumbells and barbells, a la Keith's recomendation somewhere on here. A great assistance exercise for either OHP or bench.

Once you get the hang of the high incline, ie 70-80 degrees,,,it will quickly become your favorite upper body movement.

I used to do the exact same thing. In fact, I attribute breaking through a considerable plateau to closer grip declines.

I don't EVER do inclines; they're too rough on my ac joints, even with proper scap positioning.

I think that it has to do more with how the decline bench is commonly preformed, ie, load up the weight, and then press the weight up and back using the angle and the shortened range of motion that causes MR to say its useless. I do doing declines ( occasionally ) with a narrow grip ( and a pause ) and pushing straight up as opposed to the up and back gym rat style
I used to do the exact same thing. In fact, I attribute breaking through a considerable plateau to closer grip declines.

I don't EVER do inclines; they're too rough on my ac joints, even with proper scap positioning.

*Plays Taps*

This one should have listened to more Jim Croce...

This song was written about me:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ru5exYqe5_M&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ru5exYqe5_M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywwSiDlT1IA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywwSiDlT1IA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There are people you don't fuck with...

OMG!!!11 I didn't even notice his name until right now. Harddcor! That's fucking hardcore! I wonder what his new handle will be.

Why do people think that it's a good idea to show up in a subforum and talk shit. The S+P is not about building muscle, it's a STRENGTH forum. Who cares about which exercise builds muscle better? The real question is what lift helps OH pressing more. Incline. Or OH press. Or squats. Or read the fucking stickies noob.

One of the football coaches when I was in high school told me that incline was better for lineman. Something to do with the angle you come out of your stance. You come up and out against your opponent and not straight at him.

^^I can see how that makes sense in that situation.

Well he's probably saying that because incline works your upper pecs a little more, and thats the most clearly seen part of your chest, especially when you wear a wife beater, which most people who act like that do.

*bangs head against wall*

There is no such thing as the upper pec. Try this: Flex just your "upper pecs". I bet you can't because the chest muscle that you have is all the same mother fucking muscle. Pectoralis Major mother fucker. The Minor is a tiny little triangular muscle under the Major.

Back