In which country is MMA going to become the #1 sport

Nowhere, never.

In Brazil #1 is Soccer and probably always will be ... and I'm not sure if MMA is more popular than Formula1 or Volleyball, I think is behind them.

In USA I doubt it will ever surpass American Football, Basketball or Baseball.

Whenever and where a combat sport became the most popular sport in a country? In Mongolia or other asian countries maybe?

The answer is: Zero aka 0.

Combat based sports will likely never be the most followed sport in any country. A lot of men, and most women, simply have no interest in two guys (or girls) trying to beat the shit out of each other.

Most countries already have a sport or sports which are nationally followed and played. In order to become the major sport in a country it would probably have to be one where there is no true national sport; ie: a third world/war-torn country. That is my serious answer.

Probably none, it's never going to be able to compete with soccer, american football, basketball, rugby in some countries. It may become the biggest combat sport in some countries though.

Although it's already amazing that there's an Icelandic UFC star, from a country of 350,000 inhabitants. That's like Spain having 100 fighters on the UFC roster! So if Gunni were to become champ, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, then MMA could become Iceland's biggest sport.

As we know, MMA is considered a national sport in Brazil. And second only to soccer. A country in which martial arts and fighting is extremely popular. Vale Tudo, Capoiera, BJJ, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if MMA is nationally accepted as a sport in the USA. It could be #3, #4, or #5 in popularity, I wouldn't know.

My question is, aside from Brazil and the USA. In which country is MMA likely to become the #1 sport in popularity?

Dude, you know shit about Brazil if you think that. Even voleyball is more popular than MMA here.

Boxing outweighs MMA in Mexico. Hockey outweighs MMA in Canada. Soccer outweighs MMA in Brazil. Football outweighs MMA in USA. The only country I could possibly see MMA being a contender for #1 sport is countries in Europe, but they have soccer too thats huge too.

Corinthians club is probably bigger than whole UFC...

i think it will never become 1 sport in any country

in most countries most popular is football for example poland

#1 Football(we are terrible at it)
#2 Volleyball
#3 probably handball...
#4 i give to boxing
#5 will be MMA ,KSW is doing huge ratings actually...

Boxing outweighs MMA in Mexico. Hockey outweighs MMA in Canada. Soccer outweighs MMA in Brazil. Football outweighs MMA in USA. The only country I could possibly see MMA being a contender for #1 sport is countries in Europe, but they have soccer too thats huge too.

In most of Europe soccer is #1 both for ratings and number of athletes.
Before MMA and combat sports in general in Europe I can add Formula 1 (just ratings), MotoGP (just ratings), Volleyball (I think the #2 in team sports, is very popular among girls), Basketball, Rugby, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Cyclism ... dunno about Handball but is pretty diffused in MittelEurope.

EDIT: I add Futsal that is HUUUUGE in Europe and I think even in Brazil, but just as an ammy sport

MMA is somewhat popular in Brazil, but definitely not like you see in the UFC promos. We have people here who train UFC too. And some months ago, my mother talked about a patient at work who was a "MSN fighter".

Probably a keyboard warrior from Sherdog...

Messenger is already gone.... Maybe a Whatsapp fighter!

it will never be #1 in any eu country

Because most popular sport in most of EU countries is Football

Germany not even chance,poland not even chance, France ufc can't even do UFC event here,Italy-never, Scandinavian countires most popular sports are winter sports probably..soo never...

and let's be honest i hear a lot about Pacman ,Floyd and Klitschko in media ,but you won't hear shit about UFC champion .model of UFC is stopping it there is no MMA world champion in Heavyweight... Just some UFC champion of the world ,How UFC champion can be of the world if they can't even put good card to europe?

No where. Ever.

There is no such thing as a worldwide superstar in MMA like a Tyson or Mayweather in boxing. Or a pele, maradona or ronaldo in football. and I don't think we will ever see one.

Really? From what I've researched, MMA seems huge in Brazil

popular maybe for people who train Combat Sports or Martial Arts but NOT for the average wife, average cooker or whatever low pay job (and that group is really big) because info through there is not easy to get. maybe in some bars but of course you have there the "stand up and fight, stop hugging" thinking.

maybe in higher circles is popular but with a bad look because of the old Vale Tudo days.

also remember BJJ was originally for the rich ones and Luta Livre for the poors but even that the quantity of practitioners and fans is just at max 30% compare to the rest of the population.

As we know, MMA is considered a national sport in Brazil. And second only to soccer. A country in which martial arts and fighting is extremely popular. Vale Tudo, Capoiera, BJJ, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if MMA is nationally accepted as a sport in the USA. It could be #3, #4, or #5 in popularity, I wouldn't know.

My question is, aside from Brazil and the USA. In which country is MMA likely to become the #1 sport in popularity?

Portugal

Nowhere, never.

In Brazil #1 is Soccer and probably always will be ... and I'm not sure if MMA is more popular than Formula1 or Volleyball, I think is behind them.

In USA I doubt it will ever surpass American Football, Basketball or Baseball.

Whenever and where a combat sport became the most popular sport in a country? In Mongolia or other asian countries maybe?

UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world. Also it's already beaten out MLB and soccer as well as a few other sports in viewership. However this is ridiculous of a question to begin with. Combat sports has always been a controversial endeavor even at its most popular. It's easier for you to children to watch football and basketball then it would be for you to let them watch to adults fighting and them not understand the violence. Boxing itself has never been the Number 1 sport in any country. It went in Europe from being considered barbaric to being regulated but it never surpassed games like soccer, rugby, or cricket.

Combat sports will never be a national past time. You'll never see an MMA fighter meeting the president after becoming champion. They don't even let NBA and NFL champions with records meet the president. MMA has recently just become "legit" in the eyes of many as not human ****-fighting. Even if MMA surpasses boxing as America's top combat sport, it will still not be it's number one sport. The fact remains that as big as a Mayweather fight is, he would be an idiot to schedule a fight during the Super bowl.

Is there any single country that acknowledges Boxing or any other prize-fighting sport as their national sport? To be honest, I don't even know if Thailand's prime sport is Muay Thai .

Back